TECH Hard Drive Problem

ebichuman

Feb 26, 2010
Long Island, NY
So, I took out my harddrive out of my old comp that was running windows xp and put it into my new windows 7 comp. Now the computer finds it when I check the setup before windows starts. But when I start windows 7 its not selectable under " My Computer". How do i get the stuff off the hard drive without formatting it. I really really dont want to lose all the stuff on that harddrive.

pbcustom98

Apr 13, 2007
at a theater near you!
when you say it cant be selected, does it show up at all? If not follow below:

Right click on my computer and select manage. Find disk management. See if your drive shows up there. Does it have a drive letter? If not, right click on the drive and select assign drive letter and follow the wizard.

If your drive does show up under my computer but cannot be selected, what happens exactly? Is there an error messages that pops up at all?

You could also put the drive back into the XP machine and migrate the data from within XP, then move the drive over.

Wolf68k

OT Supporter
Dec 18, 2003
Houston, Texas
What happened to me was that I couldn't access any of the files until I took ownership of everything.
Even when running XP I could of course access the files then but the security tab didn't have some access level, I forget which one off hand.

TS
TS
ebichuman

ebichuman

Feb 26, 2010
Long Island, NY
well it didn't work on my comp so i put it on my friends comp and it came up on the hardware manager list. I'll change the drive name when i can put it back in there and see how it goes.

deusexaethera

OT Supporter
Jan 27, 2005
Right-click on "Computer" and select "Manage..." When the Computer Management window opens, select the Disk Management item and see if the disk is listed. If it is, right-click and see if there's an "Import" option. If there is, import the disk. It should be available after the import is complete.

Users who are viewing this thread

About Us

• Please do not post anything that violates any Local, State, Federal or International Laws. Your privacy is protected. You have the right to be forgotten. Site funded by advertising, link monetization and member support.
OT v15.8.1 Copyright © 2000-2022 Offtopic.com
Served by fu.offtopic.com

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Theodor