ART Have you ever been robbed while out shooting?

Eurbauk

May 26, 2005
US AUSA
Hi guys,

My dad just purchased a $2000 camera and I'm hooked. I would love to go downtown at night to take pictures but I'm afraid of getting mugged. :noes:

What do you guys do? Do you go with a buddy or am I just a big pussy?

jigelow

Dec 16, 2010
Depends on the area, I suppose. More public the better, but then that's not always the most interesting.

FindersKeepers

Oct 3, 2003
Tampa, Florida
Carry a gun?

Don't go to a bad city and shoot at night?

Dotn go to the GHETTO and shoot at night.

Just dont shoot at night!

If you do, make sure your gear is insured against theft.

POScar

Believe in OFFTOPIC
Jun 16, 2000
Largo, FL
I was in eastern europe 3 years ago and I felt kinda unsafe taking pictures there. I was more worried about all the police there giving me dirty looks for taking pictures than the people though.

MSIGuy

om nom nom nom!
May 30, 2005
n508092506_1606897_2205685.jpg

Nope... lol

FryingPan

Certified Thread Killer
May 19, 2000
Raleigh, NC
Seriously though. I shot for 9 months in one of the poorest, most destitute, crime and drug ridden neighborhoods in the area and made it out without incident. You have two options- in scenarios like that: blend in and act like you belong there (which really, in some cases can just draw more attention to yourself) or make your presence clearly known. Take a buddy, don't be a douche, keep your head on a swivel, and don't go telling everybody that you just got a $2000 camera and you'll likely be fine.

Marix

OT Supporter
May 23, 2006
I've never worried about it. And I've carried cameras all over the world - africa, phillipines, rural thailand, china, eastern europe, egypt etc... and no problems.

And in the UK I've never had a problem :dunno:

LookUpMySkirt

Forever Alone
Dec 20, 2008
Los Angeles
Actually went shooting out on the streets for the first time yesterday. I was semi-paranoid that someone would rob me or my buddy. I was looking all over my house for my pepper spray but had no luck. Went out anyway, just figured if someone had done something I would rage. :dunno: :wiggle:

xenon supra

OT Supporter
Feb 3, 2005
San Diego, CA
Hi guys,

My dad just purchased a $2000 camera and I'm hooked. I would love to go downtown at night to take pictures but I'm afraid of getting mugged. :noes:

If you're smart you should be fine. Be aware of your surroundings. Don't go places that aren't well traveled or without street lights.

I've shot alone at night all throughout Europe and never had a scare. Just use common sense. Don't set your gear down, always look around.

Also, it helps to carry a tripod over your shoulder. Should scare away anyone who considers approaching you (unless they've got a gun: in which case you're fucked either way.)

YourMomOnRyeBun

Sep 6, 2006
Houston, TX
Hi guys,

Bring a buddy. Make sure he is looking AROUND (head on a swivel) and NOT just at the shit you are shooting. He can look at the photos later. He doesn't necessarily have to act like a body guard, but just make it known that you aren't "asking to be victims". Most thieves are looking for the easy target....some guy focused on his photography with his eye glued to the back of a camera would be a perfect opportunity.

Also be aware of the people around you. What are you taking pictures of? From their perspective...is your photography documenting something or mocking their lifestyle? Be prepared with a respectful answer in case someone should ask you.

"I'm trying to take pictures of this shithole town that you live in..." is probably not the best answer. :)

I was walking around an old automotive manufacturing plant in Detroit (Packard plant) and "local" guy walked up to me. I wasn't sure if he was going to give me shit or not so I just played it cool...but my defenses were on "high alert". He asked me what I was doing. I politely told him that I work in manufacturing and I am fascinated by historic manufacturing facilities so whenever I get a chance I like to explore them and take pictures as a personal memento (I didn't say it in those words).

His attitude completely changed and he opened up and started telling me about the place. He was an old guy and grew up near the plant his whole life (even when it was open). He went on to tell me how he can't stand people who come to Detroit just to take pictures of the run down areas and then put them on display - he said it made the town look back.

So...what could have been a bad situation, turned out to be really good.

I know that isn't what you originally asked...just a story I thought I would share.

Wobistdu

if me and my buddy didn't get robbed/beaten/raped in Gorzów Wielkopolski, Poland... which we decided to drive in to from Berlin just to "see Poland," then we never will

this fucking place was Stalin's Russia if I ever saw it. There we are 2 westerners with dslr's walking around totally ignorant to the fact the entire neighborhood is stalking us :rofl:

MSIGuy

om nom nom nom!
May 30, 2005
you need a bigger camera...that thing looks tiny in your big mits
It was my first camera... I've since upgraded to a couple of gripped 40D's.

That's just the only picture of myself I had handy.

EWhytsell

Jun 16, 2008
I feel pretty safe in my city's downtown at night. There are places I wouldn't show a camera, but I wouldn't be in those places at night ever.
Don't even like going their during daylight hours.

marstaton4

OT Supporter
Jun 14, 2004
South Cack
I've worked 10 years shooting news at night with video cameras much more attention getting and larger than most dslr's and have never had a problem. Had people say they were going to kill me etc... But the gear has been fine.

Cesium

OT Supporter
Nov 25, 2004
Colorado
Pro-tip: held correctly, the battery out of a 1Dmk2 looks just like a handgun.

:mamoru: jk of course since that'd likely get you shot even faster. But it really does. :o

Users who are viewing this thread

About Us

• Please do not post anything that violates any Local, State, Federal or International Laws. Your privacy is protected. You have the right to be forgotten. Site funded by advertising, link monetization and member support.
OT v15.8.1 Copyright © 2000-2022 Offtopic.com
Served by fu.offtopic.com

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vitalesan