ART Have you guys seen these SaberStrips?

MSIGuy

om nom nom nom!
May 30, 2005
http://www.saberstrip.com/

Basicly a PVC tube that you put your speedlight into and it makes a quasi-strip light. I've got to admit, the idea is pretty neat! Does anyone have any experience with these things?

ov3n

Aug 20, 2002
I fail to see the benefit of these based on their photos. More compact than an umbrella or softbox I guess?

smaug

born to lose
Nov 9, 2001
Hamilton, Bermuda
looks to me like they are made of thin pvc, not the pvc pipe you get at lowes or homedepot.. however you could obviously use a thicker material..

what would you use as the diffuser?

jigelow

Dec 16, 2010
I didn't look at it, but you could line a PVC tube with tin foil, cut a strip of the tube the length for where the light is released, used something like wax paper as a diffuser, cap both ends to prevent fall off, profit.

tetsuo

And shepherds we shall be...
May 6, 2004
hmm, i'm headed out to my mom's house tonight and i know dad had a bunch of pvc in the barn. might have to try to diy one this weekend.

Aero277

Aug 13, 2003
Los Angeles
Wo fuck....I want. Looks like I'll have to mock up a shopping cart at Lowes and see how much it'd run. The only problem would be finding a durable diffusion material for the front panel.

Maybe I could recycle some of the cracked ice light panel that I used for my DIY lightbox or white plastic party tablecloth.

ov3n

Aug 20, 2002
Wo fuck....I want. Looks like I'll have to mock up a shopping cart at Lowes and see how much it'd run. The only problem would be finding a durable diffusion material for the front panel.

Maybe I could recycle some of the cracked ice light panel that I used for my DIY lightbox or white plastic party tablecloth.

Clear PVC & black out the area you don't want lighting up & put a light white coat over the diffuse area.

Marix

OT Supporter
May 23, 2006
Wait, $135 each???

:rofl: Jesus christ. So that 7 light setup they show costs $1000. That's just stupid.

Marix

OT Supporter
May 23, 2006
Plus strobes...

Well yeah obviously, lol

I already have speedlights, but seriously this looks SOOOOOOOOOOO easily replicated with a piece of PVC tube.. $135 each is crazy.

Another tool to get the job done. :dunno:

You have a light, then you have the accessories that make the light do what it does. If you had a strobe, you'd also need a stand, softbox/umbrella, sandbag, etc. A "good" stand is $40-100 alone. An umbrella is between $20-60. It all starts to add up pretty quickly.

Yeah, but this thing still needs a stand, sandbag too. I already have lighting kit and I know it's expensive, but I just balk at seeing a piece of plastic pipe for $135 :hsd:

Cicada

Abraham $LINK’in
OT Supporter
Sep 30, 2008
SoCal
Well yeah obviously, lol

I already have speedlights, but seriously this looks SOOOOOOOOOOO easily replicated with a piece of PVC tube.. $135 each is crazy.

and someone is (possibly) getting rich off of the idea.

Aero277

Aug 13, 2003
Los Angeles
I'm back in the lab tonight, but if I have any energy tomorrow, I might try to head out to Lowes with my 430ex II and try to build one of these. The only thing I'll really have to figure out will be mounting it to a lighstand/umbrella adapter.

Other than that, It genuinely looks like PVC tubing painted black with a cap and white material glued on. It'll be interesting to see more specs on its build when they become more available.

Marix

OT Supporter
May 23, 2006
I'm not up in arms at all. Just very surprised at whst they're asking. Considering that you'd want 2-3 of these it does get pretty expensive. And also considering that an umbrella costs $20-40 (and can't be made at home), it seems expensive by comparison.

If you were home-making, might as well make a few at once since you can get one big length of PVC. Maybe ill try it at some point.. it does look like a cool bit of kit, but I wouldn't pay $400 for three of them :o

Users who are viewing this thread

About Us

• Please do not post anything that violates any Local, State, Federal or International Laws. Your privacy is protected. You have the right to be forgotten. Site funded by advertising, link monetization and member support.
OT v15.8.1 Copyright © 2000-2022 Offtopic.com
Served by fu.offtopic.com

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vitalesan