Ok guys. I am stumped with a work related issue and I need to offer $20 paypal to whoever can help me figure this shit out or give me an idea that would solve my problem. So heres the issue. I program remote controls for peoples home theaters and one of the remotes that I use (HTM MX-850) is programmed via a serial cable into a USB-Serial adapter (this device ISN'T the culprit). The issue is that a couple weeks ago, I went to download into a customers remote, and I got an error saying it couldn't communicate with the remote, and it suggests a bad serial cable. So I took my flash drive, loaded up the software and took it to another computer, thinking something was wrong with mine, and after loading up everything from my thumb drive, I tried to download on to the remote, and again, same failure. So I went back to the office where we have more computers, and I tried it on another. Same issue. So now im really confused. I start changing cables, changing remotes, trying a different USB-Serial adapter, and even changing the serial cable itself. Even with a completely different remote, I had the same issue, on a completely different computer than I started with, so somehow this problem is SPREADING. So I do a test... I load up the software on another computer, but this time, i download it off the internet instead of using my flash drive to transfer the installer. This time, I plug in a remote, and it loads perfectly fine. So heres my issue. I reformatted my laptop, and I still cant program these remotes, and the only indication of a possible culprit, is a virus that would have to be traveling around in my files. And these files are important obviously. I have all my customers remotes and whatnot. I did virus scans and nothing has come up, and after the reformat the computer works beautifully. Even other devices work through this USB-Serial adapter with no issue. Its only programming this one brand of remote. My head hurts... Fucking computers.