ART Hay guyz....please critique some of my photos v.first time

heebdawg16

Feb 11, 2006
Maryland
Less hype, more action. Here is a small selection of pictures from my recent trip through Germany, Czech Republic, Austria, and Switzerland with my wife. I was originally going to choose two dozen or so, but someone recommended I just choose 5-10 instead. So here are a few I have edited with Lightroom/Photoshop and posted for your critique. Let me know what I did right, what I did wrong, and what could have been done differently with the post processing. Most of these were not cropped at all, but I resized everything down so the longest side was 1024 pixels. Also, I tried to post pictures of a variety of subjects since I think it would help me more than just posting all shots of pictures of buildings, or all shots of people, etc etc. All pictures were taken on a Canon 60D, with a Tamron 17-50 fitted with a B&W UV Haze Filter. These were all shot in RAW.

1)
CP8rM.jpg

2)
CFTxZ.jpg

3)
6Rdnb.jpg

4)
ixDyt.jpg

5)
EsQiY.jpg

6)
h9BVj.jpg

7)
bYdmk.jpg

8)
EK4uC.jpg

9)
2zeDa.jpg

Hoping I have atleast one or two here that have some positive merit :noes:. And, thanks in advance to everyone who gives me critique. This was my first time taking my dSLR out for some real shooting so I hope to improve a lot for the next time!

The Cable Guy

Jul 10, 2006
Rowland Heights, CA
2 & 8 are the only interesting shots IMO. but they could still use some work. For example #2 is pelfed. I would probably crop out more of the top of #8 as well, the mountain side isn't as cool as the houses on the water. The other ones are underexposed or just plain boring.

TS
TS
heebdawg16

heebdawg16

Feb 11, 2006
Maryland
2 & 8 are the only interesting shots IMO. but they could still use some work. For example #2 is pelfed. I would probably crop out more of the top of #8 as well, the mountain side isn't as cool as the houses on the water. The other ones are underexposed or just plain boring.

What does "pelfed" mean?

Pikel

May 25, 2003
PNW
2 needs to be rotated CW a degree or so. Get that castle vertical.

Crop 3 in tighter, I don't like the empty space on the left/top.

5 could use fill light.

7 may need a slight rotation but it may just be playing tricks on me. More light though.

I like 8 but may need more color.

9 is underexposed.

Just my two cents. Most of this is stuff you can do in post anyway. Your photos aren't remarkably interesting, but they don't scream shitty either.

Marix

OT Supporter
May 23, 2006
Crop/rotate tool in lightroom is your friend

C'mon man.. it's the easiest thing ever to look at the grid lines and make the picture straight

2, 5 and 8 are the best, but they could all be improved:
2) Rotate and straighten it
5) It's way underexposed, and quite blue - add some exposure and fill light to get it to look right
8) Also tilted

Photos like 6 just make me go "WHY?". It's not a flattering pic of her. She's not doing anything interesting. She isn't in an interesting place. There's nothing wrong about taking a pic like that if she's your friend or something.. but it doesn't mean that we want to see it.

And finally, 9.. what colour should a swan be? And what colour is your picture?

Pikel

May 25, 2003
PNW
God damn, now that you mention it they really all do need it at least slightly except for maybe the last one. On first pass I only noticed a few.

And here I thought my attention to that rivaled yours, BUT NAY :bowdown:

charles foster kane

Feb 14, 2007
Croatia
God damn, now that you mention it they really all do need it at least slightly except for maybe the last one. On first pass I only noticed a few.

And here I thought my attention to that rivaled yours, BUT NAY :bowdown:
nah the last one does too...

distances and perspective angles between waterline and the pavers near the birds feet say the waterline is too angled, as would happen if you were shooting along a scene rather than into a scene

also the angles of the birds legs

niggas probably gonna begin to think I'm trolling with how I pick out shit like this, but I really am hyper sensitive to it

Have done engineering at college and can free-hand draw a fairly accurate perspective view of a room for example

Wobistdu

2 4 7 8 win

learn lightroom

i'm borderline racist against flat shitty pics

Idyfohu

Oct 29, 2003
Utah
yeah i'd probably desaturate the whole thing a little bit to be honest.

I like how your edit trumps all of his shit...

I still can't get over how big of an asshole he was to Xenon about the car for sale in the Yard Sale thread. Deliberately went out of his way to be a douche, that's not cool. :ugh:

Wobistdu

I still can't get over how big of an asshole he was to Xenon about the car for sale in the Yard Sale thread. Deliberately went out of his way to be a douche, that's not cool. :ugh:

thanks for the compliment

to be fair though, i was a massive ASSHOLE when i first came here. now i feel like an e-bond with you guys and would help anyone out here with anything i could

hopefully he'll come around too

Pikel

May 25, 2003
PNW

He's always been a troll all over the forum.

Yes, a lot like Wobistdu was :mamoru:

Idyfohu

Oct 29, 2003
Utah
He's always been a troll all over the forum.

Yes, a lot like Wobistdu was :mamoru:

I don't get going out of your way to be an asshole and obviously it's exaggerated online because no one is going to punch the other person in the face, but still, damn. :ugh2:

Cesium

OT Supporter
Nov 25, 2004
Colorado
1) This one is fine.

2)
Pelf'd.
Underexposed subject.

3)
Pelf'd.
Distracting background elements.
Need more light on the eyes.
Boring subject = boring picture.

4)
Underexposed subject.
Closeup shot with too little DOF.
Snapshots.

5)
Pelf'd.
Underexposed subject.
Snapshots.

6)
Pelf'd.
Underexposed subject.
Head not in a clean spot.
Need more light on the eyes.
Snapshots.

7) This one is fine.

8)
Pelf'd.
Underexposed subject.
Head not in a clean spot.
Snapshots.

9)
Underexposed subject.
Distracting background elements.
Snapshots.

Wobistdu

I don't get going out of your way to be an asshole and obviously it's exaggerated online because no one is going to punch the other person in the face, but still, damn. :ugh2:

i found myself doing it in the past when i was having bad days. it seems if you are miserable you vent off on people

Users who are viewing this thread

About Us

• Please do not post anything that violates any Local, State, Federal or International Laws. Your privacy is protected. You have the right to be forgotten. Site funded by advertising, link monetization and member support.
OT v15.8.1 Copyright © 2000-2022 Offtopic.com
Served by fu.offtopic.com

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Theodor