TECH HDD vs SSD

Kenny Powers

BIG ANGERY
OT Supporter
Jul 20, 2005
I haven't owned a SSD drive yet but I've been thinking about swapping out the 5400 rpm HDD in my laptop for a small SSD drive. Is it worth the 200~ bucks? How big of a difference am I going to see?

crontab

Oracle doesn't have customers, they have hostages.
Nov 14, 2000
for laptops, worth it.

faster load times/lower latency/seek

less power draw

worth it

Graham

This Close To 88mph
Jun 8, 2008
N.E. Ohio
Faster under all circumstances.

But i'm starting to read about the ssd's dropping off in write performance within a day of use, with or without TRIM support.

ldaggerl

Feb 24, 2009
I'll say that after not having one and then getting one its one of the biggest upgrades I've made to my system. Its amazing. System boots fast, I have 2 regular HDDs that are stripped and still can only hit about half the speed of a single SSD. I say give it a bit and the price will drop even more but at $260 for 120 gigs I'll pay.

White Stormy

Take that, subspace!
Sep 17, 2002
Sparkopolis
I replaced my laptop's 5400rpm 320GB with a 120GB Intel SSD and really don't notice much speed difference, but any improvement I can make to the battery life is worth it

FartLighter

Resident Fart Expert
OT Supporter
Jul 5, 2005
Keep your stuff backed up. Once an SSD goes dead, it's gone. Data cannot be recovered like it can with an HDD.

crontab

Oracle doesn't have customers, they have hostages.
Nov 14, 2000
mean time between failures is ridiculous. like 100x that of a regular drive. and I doubt the hardware is any less reliable.

mean time is meaningless if the controller dies. there are many external causes for hardware failures.

regardless, one should backup their critical data no matter what it's primarily running on.

Graham

This Close To 88mph
Jun 8, 2008
N.E. Ohio
mean time between failures is ridiculous. like 100x that of a regular drive. and I doubt the hardware is any less reliable.
Unless we're talking about a different measuring stick, the time is measured in millions of hours, and ssd's and hdd's are both measured in a few million hours or more these days.

White Stormy

Take that, subspace!
Sep 17, 2002
Sparkopolis
I have my doubts any SSD will last longer than a typical hard drive. The NAND maybe, but the controllers are generally pretty shitty.

Didn't know that. My point was just that being a SSD doesn't make them any more likely to fail than a regular drive.. you should back them both up

ldaggerl

Feb 24, 2009
SSD simply have less of chance of dying because they had no moving parts. Simple as that. SSD's are perfect, they have issues but its being worked on and improved each time. SSD's are worth the money no matter. I'd never take a regular HDD over an SSD. The price/gig is starting to come down.

JustJeff

www.youtube.com/thisisjustjeff
Oct 30, 2006
Long Island // Virginia Tech
SSD simply have less of chance of dying because they had no moving parts. Simple as that. SSD's are perfect, they have issues but its being worked on and improved each time. SSD's are worth the money no matter. I'd never take a regular HDD over an SSD. The price/gig is starting to come down.

SSD's have no moving parts, but that doesn't change the fact that they can die :) They have a different value to measure performance.

TBH, i'm surprised that they measure in "hours" instead of "writes" since last time I checked, that was the main drawback to static memory... they wear down over time because of write procedures. Someone correct me?

Graham

This Close To 88mph
Jun 8, 2008
N.E. Ohio
SSD's have no moving parts, but that doesn't change the fact that they can die :) They have a different value to measure performance.

TBH, i'm surprised that they measure in "hours" instead of "writes" since last time I checked, that was the main drawback to static memory... they wear down over time because of write procedures. Someone correct me?

That's my understanding too. But the latest Hitachi ssd series can write around 20tb to the drive everyday for 5 years.
So figure around 6tb to a 120gb ssd drive everyday for 5 years.
And then that's probably under ideal conditions, so figure half of that. Maybe 3tb a day.
But still, they're getting better.

ldaggerl

Feb 24, 2009
I have an X25-M and don't notice it being any quicker than my old 5200rpm :dunno:

You sure you have it set up correctly? I upgraded from a single western digital 160 with 16mb cache at 7200RPMS and noticed a huge increase. Use HD tune and see what kind of speeds your getting.

White Stormy

Take that, subspace!
Sep 17, 2002
Sparkopolis
You sure you have it set up correctly? I upgraded from a single western digital 160 with 16mb cache at 7200RPMS and noticed a huge increase. Use HD tune and see what kind of speeds your getting.
All I did was throw in the drive and do a fresh install of win7. Specs below look good to me, but should I do something else?

Code:
[B]HD Tune: INTEL SSDSA2M120G2GC Benchmark[/B]

Transfer Rate Minimum : 85.8 MB/sec
Transfer Rate Maximum : 221.1 MB/sec
Transfer Rate Average : 174.6 MB/sec
Access Time           : 0.1 ms
Burst Rate            : 139.3 MB/sec
CPU Usage             : -1.0%

[B]HD Tune: INTEL SSDSA2M120G2GC Error Scan[/B]

Scanned data   : 114427 MB
Damaged Blocks : 0.0 %
Elapsed Time   : 18:00

[B]HD Tune: INTEL SSDSA2M120G2GC Health[/B]

ID                               Current  Worst    ThresholdData        Status   
(03) Spin Up Time                100      100      0        0           Ok       
(04) Start/Stop Count            100      100      0        0           Ok       
(05) Reallocated Sector Count    100      100      0        0           Ok       
(09) Power On Hours Count        100      100      0        485         Ok       
(0C) Power Cycle Count           100      100      0        52          Ok       
(C0) Power Off Retract Count     100      100      0        1           Ok       
(E1) Load/Unload Cycle Count     200      200      0        4747        Ok       
(E2) Load-in time                100      100      0        492         Ok       
(E3) Torque Amplification Count  100      100      0        1           Ok       
(E4) Power-Off Retract Cycle     100      100      0        1602571600  Ok       
(E8) (unknown attribute)         100      100      10       0           Ok       
(E9) (unknown attribute)         99       99       0        0           Ok       
(B8) (unknown attribute)         100      100      99       0           Ok       

Power On Time         : 485
Health Status         : Ok

[B]HD Tune: INTEL SSDSA2M120G2GC Information[/B]

Firmware version : 2CV102HD
Serial number    : CVPO04440224120QGN
Capacity         : 111.8 GB (~120.0 GB)
Buffer size      : n/a
Standard         : ATA/ATAPI-0 - SATA II
Supported mode   : UDMA Mode 6 (Ultra ATA/133)
Current mode     : UDMA Mode 7 (Ultra ATA/512)

S.M.A.R.T                    : yes
48-bit Address               : yes
Read Look-Ahead              : yes
Write Cache                  : yes
Host Protected Area          : yes
Device Configuration Overlay : yes
Automatic Acoustic Management: no
Power Management             : yes
Advanced Power Management    : no
Power-up in Standby          : no
Security Mode                : yes
Firmware Upgradable          : yes

Partition     : 1
Drive letter  : 
Label         : 
Capacity      : 100 MB
Usage         : 0.00%
Type          : NTFS
Bootable      : Yes

Partition     : 2
Drive letter  : C:\
Label         : 
Capacity      : 114371 MB
Usage         : 30.31%
Type          : NTFS
Bootable      : No

ldaggerl

Feb 24, 2009
I've used a lot of regular HDD's, I honestly work with computers all day and saw a huge increase between my SSD and regular HDD. Your speeds look fine so I have no idea how you couldn't have gotten that much of a boost. My SSD wasn't just a little increase it was immensely huge. People who don't even use my computer noticed how much quicker it was.....

mugen

Mar 7, 2006
Brisbane, Australia
What about a hybrid drive? Such as the 500GB seagate momentus XT.

You get close to the speed increase of the SSD, while maintaining the storage space of a HDD. They are cheaper than an SSD too.

Users who are viewing this thread

About Us

• Please do not post anything that violates any Local, State, Federal or International Laws. Your privacy is protected. You have the right to be forgotten. Site funded by advertising, link monetization and member support.
OT v15.8.1 Copyright © 2000-2022 Offtopic.com
Served by fu.offtopic.com

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vitalesan