LOVE Helix piercing questions...

MissSunshine

New Member
Jan 15, 2007
8
I had my helix pierced on Friday... how long should I wait to change the jewelry?

I bought some metal and some Bioplast. Would it be better to put the Bioplast in? Since I've read they make healing faster.

I also don't want to run the risk of infection. I've been cleaning it twice a day and it seems to be ok so far. Healing great. :)

Thank you!
 
Oct 23, 2001
25,694
Healing will probably take 6-8 weeks, assuming all goes well. I'd wait until then to swap jewelry. Glad to hear you're taking care of it and enjoy :)
 
Oct 23, 2001
25,694
audrey said:
In my experience cartlidge takes much longer than 6-8weeks to heal :o

My cartilage ones have been at earliest a couple months. I should probably go back on what I said and reword it to say instead of healing 6-8 weeks, wait that long to swap jewelry :o
 
TS
TS

MissSunshine

New Member
Jan 15, 2007
8
oh man! I wish I could at least change the ring out... I'm sick of the boring silver balls on the curved barbell. :wtc:
 

audrey

New Member
Jan 9, 2005
2,523
Down Under
Turboed_2 said:
My cartilage ones have been at earliest a couple months. I should probably go back on what I said and reword it to say instead of healing 6-8 weeks, wait that long to swap jewelry :o

:cool: :joshers:
 

Cherryfire

"If we believe obsurdities, we shall commit atroci
Jun 26, 2003
3,536
Austin, TX
Cartilage piercings can take 3-10 months to heal. Yeah..quite the gap but everyone's do differently and vary based on a lot of factors. I would wait about 4-6 weeks before changing if I were you. During that time, be mindful of your sleeping patterns and cellphone usage. (Hopefully you chose an ear that you dont sleep on or use your phone on primarily.) Don't twist or move the jewelry as some ill informed places will inform you, such as malls. This will only serve to irritate the piercing and further delay the healing process and the time you can change into a more desirable piece of jewelry.
 
TS
TS

MissSunshine

New Member
Jan 15, 2007
8
Cherryfire said:
Cartilage piercings can take 3-10 months to heal. Yeah..quite the gap but everyone's do differently and vary based on a lot of factors. I would wait about 4-6 weeks before changing if I were you. During that time, be mindful of your sleeping patterns and cellphone usage. (Hopefully you chose an ear that you dont sleep on or use your phone on primarily.) Don't twist or move the jewelry as some ill informed places will inform you, such as malls. This will only serve to irritate the piercing and further delay the healing process and the time you can change into a more desirable piece of jewelry.

Thanks! I only move it around when I'm cleaning it... It's 14g, will that take a lot longer to heal?

I chose my left ear because I use my cell phone on the right side! :) I also sleep on the right side, so I chose an ear that won't get irritated much.
 

Cherryfire

"If we believe obsurdities, we shall commit atroci
Jun 26, 2003
3,536
Austin, TX
MissSunshine said:
Thanks! I only move it around when I'm cleaning it... It's 14g, will that take a lot longer to heal?

I chose my left ear because I use my cell phone on the right side! :) I also sleep on the right side, so I chose an ear that won't get irritated much.

Dont move it at all, even while cleaning. It will only serve to irritate it. Your ear will NOT grow around the piercing jewelry, in case you were told that and thats why youre moving it. What is your aftercare process? Are you using a Saline or Sea Salt solution? If not, i highly recommend using contact lens(saline) or sea salt solution or H2Ocean as the only form of aftercare. Rinse it lightly without touching or moving it twice to three times daily and let it air dry on. This is ALL you should be doing. Do not wipe, pick or rub at any "crusties" that may or may not be present.
 
TS
TS

MissSunshine

New Member
Jan 15, 2007
8
I use contact solution twice a day. (After I shower before bed, and in the morning.) I read to clean the inside of the piercing to move the ring around inside while cleaning it to get the solution inside. Is that wrong?
 
Oct 23, 2001
25,694
MissSunshine said:
I use contact solution twice a day. (After I shower before bed, and in the morning.) I read to clean the inside of the piercing to move the ring around inside while cleaning it to get the solution inside. Is that wrong?

As long as there aren't any crusties that's fine (and that I do know :o)
 
TS
TS

MissSunshine

New Member
Jan 15, 2007
8
Turboed_2 said:
As long as there aren't any crusties that's fine (and that I do know :o)

Sunday and Monday after I got it pierced on Friday there were a little bit, but not bad.

Haven't had any crusties since. :)
 

Cherryfire

"If we believe obsurdities, we shall commit atroci
Jun 26, 2003
3,536
Austin, TX
MissSunshine said:
I use contact solution twice a day. (After I shower before bed, and in the morning.) I read to clean the inside of the piercing to move the ring around inside while cleaning it to get the solution inside. Is that wrong?

Youre not trying to get saline solution INSIDE the piercing, its only for the healing tissue outside of the wound. Rubbing the ring around, even if just for a little bit while cleaning, is just going to irritate it and prolong your healing process. :) Just drip the solution on either side and let it go at that. Its easy to heal if you let it be.
 
TS
TS

MissSunshine

New Member
Jan 15, 2007
8
Cherryfire said:
Youre not trying to get saline solution INSIDE the piercing, its only for the healing tissue outside of the wound. Rubbing the ring around, even if just for a little bit while cleaning, is just going to irritate it and prolong your healing process. :) Just drip the solution on either side and let it go at that. Its easy to heal if you let it be.

I didn't know that. Thanks so much for all of your help! :) :bowdown:
 

Cherryfire

"If we believe obsurdities, we shall commit atroci
Jun 26, 2003
3,536
Austin, TX
The helix is most commonly referred to as the "ear rim". Anywhere around the rim of the ear cartilage.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

About Us

  • Please do not post anything that violates any Local, State, Federal or International Laws. Your privacy is protected. You have the right to be forgotten. Site funded by advertising, link monetization and member support.
OT v15.8.1 Copyright © 2000-2022 Offtopic.com
Served by fu.offtopic.com

Online statistics

Members online
347
Guests online
64
Total visitors
411

Forum statistics

Threads
369,575
Messages
16,896,216
Members
86,875
Latest member
Theodor