GUN Heres how to get your Curio & Relic license

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by cellphonedude, Sep 10, 2005.

  1. [font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica][font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]what is a Curio & Relic you ask?

    [font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica][font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]A C&R License allows you to buy such firearms without having them transferred through an FFL dealer, shipped directly to your house.. saves you about $20-30 (transfer fee).. and many websites give you dealer prices on their items, including midwayusa I believe..


    first off, go to the ATF Form Distribution Page ( )

    Then you need to request two forms, from the right hand side.

    F 5310.16 (F7CR) - Application for License (Collector of Curios and Relics) Under 18 U.S.C. Chapter 44, Firearms

    F 5330.20 - Certificate of Compliance With 18 U.S.C. 922(g)(5)(B)

    When you receive the forms, the first form 5310.16 will have two copies. fill them both out, send one copy to the ATF at the address provided on the form, and the other copy to your local Chief LEO, usually a sheriff. The forms will be marked at the bottom, ATF Copy, CLEO Copy. I attached a small note to the copy I sent to my CLEO, simply stating "here is my C&R application for you to file, as required by Federal law. It requires no further action on your part. Thank you"

    Here is a sample copy of the form filled out.. where it says "Title", simply writing "Collector" is fine. Make sure you fill in everything, double check.


    Send the compliance form to the ATF with the main C&R form. Include a check for $30, as specified on the form. I heard it also doesnt hurt to send a copy of your CCW if you have one. It can never hurt, might expedite things.

    When you finally receive your C&R license, it will come in an envelope by itself, and a package containing all of those books will also come, possibly a few days apart. Get yourself a bound book as explained in the thick rule book. You can order one from Brownells ( ) or you can make your own on spreadsheet, and put it in a 3 ring binder. All of your C&R's, incoming and outgoing, must be logged.

    For a list of C&R eligible guns, go here:

    many online surplus sites also will specify if a gun is C&R eligible.

  2. EvilSS

    EvilSS Active Member

    Jun 11, 2003
    Likes Received:
    Just to add some fun to it (snagged from AIM Surplus website):

    CALIFORNIA CUSTOMERS: Handgun sales only to "01" Dealer FFL, handguns must be on the California approved list however C&R Handguns can be shipped to 01 Dealers. No High Capacity magazine sales, No Assault Weapon sales. C&R Licensees may purchase C&R rifles only if made prior to 1955 regardless if the rifle appears on the federal C&R list. All CA Dealers must give us their CFD# before ordering. Check for other Local & State laws before ordering.

    -ILLINOIS CUSTOMERS: No Firearms sales to Chicago, Nor all of Cooke County. C&R 03 Licensees may purchase C&R Eligible firearms, however Illinois FOID card must be on file. Check for other Local & State laws before ordering.

    -MASSACHUSETTS CUSTOMERS: 01 FFL Dealers may purchase handguns that are on the MA approved for sale list, rifles without high capacity magazines. No C&R firearms sales. No high capacity magazine sales to anyone or dealer in MA. No Ammunition Sales.

    -MARYLAND CUSTOMERS: No modern handgun sales to anyone including 01 FFL Dealers. C&R eligible handguns may be sold to 01 FFL Dealers only. C&R eligible Rifles may be sold to 03 C&R Licensees. No High Capacity Magazine Sales. Check for other Local & State laws before ordering.

    -NEW JERSY CUSTOMERS: No Sales of CETME Rifles. Firearms sales only to 01 FFL Dealer licensees. Absolutely no Handgun sales to C&R 03 licensees. No High Capacity Magazine Sales. Check for other Local & State laws before ordering.

    -NEW YORK CUSTOMERS: Only C&R eligible handguns will be shipped to 01 FFL Dealers and these handgun orders must be accompanied by a State Handgun Dealers License. C&R eligible rifles may be sold to 03 C&R licensees. No Sales to NY City. Check for other Local & State laws before ordering.

    -WASHINGTON DC CUSTOMERS: No Sales of any products.

    -CONNECTICUTT: No Sales of WASR, CETME Rifles, or FAL Rifles.


Share This Page