ART Here's what a $35,000 wedding photographers pictures look like

Spurious

Jan 15, 2006
Houston, Texas Bans: 5
Yeah, lucky them. The people who are going to hire a photographer at 35k are also going to be people who have amazing locations and a highly paid design time to make the photographs job a cake walk.

xenon supra

OT Supporter
Feb 3, 2005
San Diego, CA
Honestly, I'm not that impressed. They are great images but 99% of it is the location IMO. Half the photographers in OTAP could have images just as nice.

35k seems absolutely outrages. :ugh:

turbodude

Just a photographer
OT Supporter
Jun 17, 2002
Las Vegas
Damn i wish i could shoot an outdoor wedding during the day!!!

All teh weddings i have done are in fucking banquet halls and little chapels... :( All at night. :(

eighteen_psi

May 31, 2003
Not bad, but the locations & content make it, not the photo work on its own. Nothing in there worth that scratch by me :dunno:

edit: haha weepies. I like that song :hs:

Last edited:

IntheWorks

windin film.. takin pics
Jun 30, 2001
earth
Do you guys honestly think he started out shooting great locations like that? I highly doubt it. He's got good solid strong images... I wouldn't knock the guy for his ability to market himself well enough to make 35k a wedding. It's no big secret that you don't need to be a great photographer to make money.

IntheWorks

windin film.. takin pics
Jun 30, 2001
earth
whats the appeal of shooting weddings?

for me its because I love being a part of their day knowing that in 50 yrs when the memories are fading, my pics will still be there to remind them. :hs:

:rofl: the money really isn't that good, especially when you're just starting out. It's really not that profitable when you factor in all the time spent on a wedding.

TS
TS
Girth

Girth

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
OT Supporter
Jun 28, 2002
Houston
Do you guys honestly think he started out shooting great locations like that? I highly doubt it. He's got good solid strong images... I wouldn't knock the guy for his ability to market himself well enough to make 35k a wedding. It's no big secret that you don't need to be a great photographer to make money.

You need a lot of connections and a ton of marketing/luck. You can become something like that with a good portfolio, not great.

TS
TS
Girth

Girth

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
OT Supporter
Jun 28, 2002
Houston
for me its because I love being a part of their day knowing that in 50 yrs when the memories are fading, my pics will still be there to remind them. :hs:

I've always been the type to make sure others like my work. Doesn't matter if I'm at my day job, with my wife, or doing photography. When people see my pics and are "amazed", it really does make me glad I do what I do. Money isn't always the end result, but if people like your work it'll come. Making that money grow is your responsibility. ;)

adamlewis88

Dec 2, 2007
San Francisco, CA
Im sorry.
I know Ill get a lot of hate because Im saying something negative about an OTAP Idol, but I like this stuff more then (*)(*)'s.

Theyve got a definite eye for images, know how to work the light, and apparently produce consistently strong images.

How much are they worth? As much as people are willing to pay. Thats the miracle of the free market. I think anyone knocking them or comparing them to (*)(*)'s really needs to look at this a little more objectively.

Also, dont get me wrong (*)(*) takes awesome pictures of his kids. I seriously think he should make a book and try to market that but his wedding stuff, that Ive seen, isnt anything super spectacular IMO. Im not saying its bad, and Im not saying its sub-average. His wedding work is good IMO but its not stuff that makes me stop and think, "Wow. That was a really good picture". Looking through the images LaCour has up, I thought that a few times.

f/2.8L

Oct 1, 2004
This thread proves that a lot of OTAP is full of shit. Anybody who is hating on that Lacour dude, or anyone else who's making it big, is just fucking jealous. Cry about it being location, cry about it being the beautiful subjects, but whatever you do, just fucking cry... because your jealousy shows.

I don't understand why OTAP thinks their shit doesn't stink and they're way better than the people who are getting paid.

At the end of the day, photography is subjective. Remember that people! What you fucking love, somebody else probably hates... and it goes both ways. But please stop with the tears because someone else it out of your league.

/rant

Carry on!

:rofl:

jared_IRL

OT Supporter
Feb 12, 2006
Im sorry.
I know Ill get a lot of hate because Im saying something negative about an OTAP Idol, but I like this stuff more then (*)(*)'s.

Theyve got a definite eye for images, know how to work the light, and apparently produce consistently strong images.

How much are they worth? As much as people are willing to pay. Thats the miracle of the free market. I think anyone knocking them or comparing them to (*)(*)'s really needs to look at this a little more objectively.

Also, dont get me wrong (*)(*) takes awesome pictures of his kids. I seriously think he should make a book and try to market that but his wedding stuff, that Ive seen, isnt anything super spectacular IMO. Im not saying its bad, and Im not saying its sub-average. His wedding work is good IMO but its not stuff that makes me stop and think, "Wow. That was a really good picture". Looking through the images LaCour has up, I thought that a few times.

:werd:

I think his stuff is awesome. When I saw a couple of the pictures, I thought about how he captured the EXACT perfect moment.

However, I HATE the David Jay player that his gallery is in. HATE.

Todd1225

Dec 27, 2007
I've always been the type to make sure others like my work. Doesn't matter if I'm at my day job, with my wife, or doing photography. When people see my pics and are "amazed", it really does make me glad I do what I do. Money isn't always the end result, but if people like your work it'll come. Making that money grow is your responsibility. ;)

I agree completely, it's a huge compliment and assurance when people say they love your work...especially after they have passed on your direct competition.

I've seen some videos from Jerry Ghionis and one of his major "instincts" is to find the photograph no matter how crappy the venue is. It's incredibly hard with weddings as things always get crazy and are super rushed.

Great venues just "lend" themselves to better opportunity unless you completely suck.

Users who are viewing this thread

About Us

• Please do not post anything that violates any Local, State, Federal or International Laws. Your privacy is protected. You have the right to be forgotten. Site funded by advertising, link monetization and member support.
OT v15.8.1 Copyright © 2000-2022 Offtopic.com
Served by fu.offtopic.com

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vitalesan