GUN Home FFL License

NEp8ntballer

Mar 22, 2006
ATF cracked down on "kitchen table FFLs" a few years ago so you now pretty much need to have a storefront if that's what you're talking about. Unless you're referring to a Curio and Relics license which would be entirely possible. Or you could be referring to something like an 07 FFL which would be to manufacture which may be possible but I don't know if they'd let you run it out of your house.

EDIT: you don't need a storefront, but you would have to comply with local business and zoning laws.

TS
TS
joker713

joker713

Aug 28, 2008
Modesto, CA
I know its possible to have one out of your house without any sort of storefront. There are a couple home ffl guys listed that are attached to gunbroker.com and another online storefront that you can use for transfers. I'm just curious how to go about it more than anything.

I found a few websites that guarantee you will get approved and the such but i want to do some of my own research first.

http://www.ffl123.com/index.php

That is the one I found that seems the most legit. BBB rating of A and a 150% money back guarantee and its only $40. Seems like it would be worth it just to see what kind of info I can get out of it and worst case scenario I still dont have an ffl but i get my money back.

What do you guys think?

PanzerAce

OT Supporter
Feb 25, 2006
I know its possible to have one out of your house without any sort of storefront. There are a couple home ffl guys listed that are attached to gunbroker.com and another online storefront that you can use for transfers. I'm just curious how to go about it more than anything.

I found a few websites that guarantee you will get approved and the such but i want to do some of my own research first.

http://www.ffl123.com/index.php

That is the one I found that seems the most legit. BBB rating of A and a 150% money back guarantee and its only $40. Seems like it would be worth it just to see what kind of info I can get out of it and worst case scenario I still dont have an ffl but i get my money back.

What do you guys think?
I think you need to decide what you actually want to get out of the FFL. Getting one isn't something that should be done as a spur of the moment thing, especially in CA where you are going to have to deal with state and local firearms dealer permits in addiction to the federal paperwork. Alot of people seem to want to get their own FFL until they actually start to look at how much paperwork is involved with the damn things.

kf4zht

Oct 7, 2005
Jasper, GA
Head over to Pirate4x4. One of the guys over there got his 07 and 01 a little while back out of his house. He documented the whole process fairly well.

From how he made it sound it really wasn't that bad when you showed them you were a serious business. If you went to them and wanted one to buy guns for your friends they would probably just ignore you

THT

The easy way is always mined
Mar 16, 2005
The booby hatch
No, the ATF has not cracked down on home based FFLs. They will grant them to you as long as your local ordinances allow it. I am a home based 01 FFL, 03 SOT.

CA is a little different because you need a CFD from CA-DoJ-BoF and they'll only grant one if you have a local business license and alot of municipalities in CA don't allow home based FFLs.

It took me two months to get mine. Filled out the application, sat down with the IOI when he came to do the interview and he wasn't even interested in seeing my safe or other security measures. He saw that I had an active accessories business and that the FFL was a natural extension for me. Asked me my monthly gross and said there's no reason why I shouldn't be given a license. Two months after receiving it, I do enough volume that I'm a master dealer for Mega Arms.

THT

The easy way is always mined
Mar 16, 2005
The booby hatch
Having the atf be legally able able to walk up to your house at any time of day and inspect your shit? Out.

Yeah...they don't do that. And even if they did, they're limited to your business area. If you have two safes, one for the business and one for personal guns, they can't look in your personal safe.

D-FENS

Nov 13, 2002
I assume he's trying to say that even though the law says they can't search your personal safe, they may still search anyway and jail you if they don't like what they see, or take you to jail simply for refusing to open the personal safe. Of course, you could probably sue for wrongful arrest, but who knows how much damage will have been done to your business in the meantime, since I imagine that any arrest during an ATF investigation would result in the confiscation of all your guns, which would most likely take several months if not years to get them back and get your record cleared up.

Users who are viewing this thread

About Us

• Please do not post anything that violates any Local, State, Federal or International Laws. Your privacy is protected. You have the right to be forgotten. Site funded by advertising, link monetization and member support.
OT v15.8.1 Copyright © 2000-2022 Offtopic.com
Served by fu.offtopic.com

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Theodor