ENT TECH Home theater/stereo crew: two subs???

GBlansten

OT's Kidney Doc
OT Supporter
Aug 9, 2004
Thick Ascending Limb
Getting my second sub in for my 2.1 soon to be 2.2 system. So many respected reviewers recommend two subs to help with nulls. Anyone else do this and did it help?

Last edited:
TS
TS
GBlansten

GBlansten

OT's Kidney Doc
OT Supporter
Aug 9, 2004
Thick Ascending Limb
How big is the room. What sub do u have now? If u do get a second it should be the same brand and size
Room is L shaped. 12.5x12.5 feet on the main squarish part but 2/3 of a side wall is open as it has a small wall for part of it. Then it goes another 6 feet over and 6 feet forward.

SVS SB-3000 x2

KbP64ej.jpg

herpes

OT Supporter
Jun 4, 2005
dfw
I think you need to go to an ent.

You've got an 800wrms sub in a tiny room.

I have had 2000wRms in a Honda Civic. I don't think you need another sub unless you're asking your wife to sit on it.

Reactions: GBlansten
TS
TS
GBlansten

GBlansten

OT's Kidney Doc
OT Supporter
Aug 9, 2004
Thick Ascending Limb
I think you need to go to an ent.

You've got an 800wrms sub in a tiny room.

I have had 2000wRms in a Honda Civic. I don't think you need another sub unless you're asking your wife to sit on it.
I blended my present sub to my system and have it -20 db at 50hz with a 24 db slope. I have it set so that it sounds like the mains have the extra bass. The idea is NOT to hve massive bass but to have a good frequency response without nulls. I did a test tone at 50 hz and the mains and the sub are at the same loudness so they really blend well.

ashzero

Kickin' back
Mar 16, 2000
Yes, I noticed. Low end feels a lot smoother, liquidy... I dunno how to describe it, but it's good.

Had to adjust the phase though because they were cancelling each other out.

The thing about subs for music is there they are supposed to blend in with your speakers, not stand out. They should just fill in the low end at the same level as your mains. Took a lot of trial and error but got them dialed in perfectly and I love it D;

Reactions: GBlansten
TS
TS
GBlansten

GBlansten

OT's Kidney Doc
OT Supporter
Aug 9, 2004
Thick Ascending Limb
Yes, I noticed. Low end feels a lot smoother, liquidy... I dunno how to describe it, but it's good.

Had to adjust the phase though because they were cancelling each other out.

The thing about subs for music is there they are supposed to blend in with your speakers, not stand out. They should just fill in the low end at the same level as your mains. Took a lot of trial and error but got them dialed in perfectly and I love it D;
Thanks for the input on your experience. I completely agree on blending the subs and not going for max boom.

Reactions: ashzero
TS
TS
GBlansten

GBlansten

OT's Kidney Doc
OT Supporter
Aug 9, 2004
Thick Ascending Limb
did you do the sub crawl to find that exact subwoofer placement?
No, I've seen the videos and read the advice and I am aware of this. But given what's in my room I didn't have a bunch of options. I plan to put the second sub on the other side of the couch or against the far wall off to the right as one sits on the couch and faces the speakers.

Hisma

OT Supporter
Apr 2, 2006
Reno, NV
subbass frequencies are omni-directional. you shouldn't be able to pinpoint the direction. if you can, you didn't place your sub properly.
do any of you guys use DSPs? I bet you'd get more benefit out of properly tuning your system with a DSP than just throwing multiple subs in. Unless you have a big room to fill I don't see it being a necessity. Just seems to be the popular thing to do

Users who are viewing this thread

About Us

• Please do not post anything that violates any Local, State, Federal or International Laws. Your privacy is protected. You have the right to be forgotten. Site funded by advertising, link monetization and member support.
OT v15.8.1 Copyright © 2000-2022 Offtopic.com
Served by fu.offtopic.com

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
btcdiana