CREW SRS Homeowner / Big lot size crew - What stuff did you buy to deal with a bigger property that you can't imagine not having now?

Perfect Speed

Software and Cars
OT Supporter
Apr 8, 2006
PHL>ABQ>SEA>CLT
Wife and I just went under contract on a house that comes with 3.25 acres and she plans to garden in a lot of it... However there's still going to be a bunch to maintain.

We're moving from a 1700 sq ft rental house, so I have some tools and stuff like a pressure washer, but we had lawn care for us so I have none of that - I know I'll end up needing a weed trimmer, and probably a small riding mower...

What else should I be looking into?

As a side note - worth buying a used riding mower or is it more trouble than its worth?

*edit* - Ideally I think I want something that can mow, til/aerate for the wife's planting, and then chop/bag leaves - auger would be cool but I can buy a cheap 1 man from HF or HD

Last edited:

Rusty Shackleford

luey its time for your anal pills
OT Supporter
Dec 2, 2006
St. Louis
You're going to want a large riding mower for 3+ acres. How many trees? I've got 1 acre and a decent amount of trees and it took me hours upon hours to clean up my leaves until they were all on the ground. Watch for deals on Facebook Marketplace for a riding mower. You're probably going to want something 20HP+ and 46" deck or bigger.

Reactions: Jinx
TS
TS
Perfect Speed

Perfect Speed

Software and Cars
OT Supporter
Apr 8, 2006
PHL>ABQ>SEA>CLT
You're going to want a large riding mower for 3+ acres. How many trees? I've got 1 acre and a decent amount of trees and it took me hours upon hours to clean up my leaves until they were all on the ground. Watch for deals on Facebook Marketplace for a riding mower. You're probably going to want something 20HP+ and 46" deck or bigger.

I haven't counted but not too many and the ones we do have are on the edges of the property luckily. However there's a couple in the middle, maybe 3-4 not huge - maybe 12-18in diameter. I don't think we're going to upkeep ALL of it, but probably 1-1.5 acre of house+garden and 1 acre of yard to maintain, rest we might just kinda let be.

(Excluding the front yard, it's small-ish and there's like 5 trees but I feel like a cheap push mower can do the front yard in 20-30 mins max)

Dismay

Super Swell Guy
OT Supporter
May 23, 2000
SoCalish
I grew up on 1.3 acres. Probably took me an hour to mow that on our riding lawnmower in the fastest gear

Reactions: Sirius

dissonance

OT Supporter
May 23, 2006
KS
Are there any gates your mower needs to fit thru? If so, measure and then get 1 size down from what will technically fit since you'll never go thru it exactly perpendicular.

I still want to change our landscaping around so I don't need to push mow areas.

I have a 5gal water container for my gas so I don't have to deal with the stupid ass EPA nozzle locks and no vents (Amazon reviews make it sound like they've changed it so not sure what I'd get in the future).

Fuck tree trimmers/pruners, get a Hackzall or something similar and a few blade lengths. I went with the M12 Fuel for a little more one handed ease of use. Also does great pruning roots popping out of the ground.

I was going to by a tow behind fertilizer but local landscape companies charge less than i pay for the fertilizer itself so I think last spring was the last time I'm doing it myself (they did fall). Plus I had a slight concern due to my next point (I have a ZTR).

When buying a mower, realize if you plan to tow anything a ZTR will be limited in tow capacity by the hydro specs and most only give you 200-300# headroom less your weight. A lawn tractor will be better for towing.

Buy a sprayer for each chemical so you don't have to worry about changing out contents. I have a kill all and kill weeds (scotts for lawns does awesome with my invaders).

Originally I bought a few mojack mower jacks but each one came bent up.... then I realized my Craftsman motorcycle jack would work just as well and has a much higher weight rating.

Last edited:

dissonance

OT Supporter
May 23, 2006
KS
Don't forget buckets and ear muffs/headphones. Not only will they protect your hearing and give you tunes, but they discourage neighbors from bugging you since you can't hear them. I've had the 3M Worktunes Connect for a year and they've been great. Builtin mic to answer phone and only complaint is like all other wireless ones I looked at they have an annoying auto volume limitation you can't disable.

Last year I also got some safety glasses with a gasket to seal on your face. They're great when mowing up leaves and no filling your eyes full of crap. Previous years I would squint the whole time and it was miserable. I don't bother raking any and just mulch them up a few times as they fall.

May 8, 2001
Colorado
Just buy an ATV with a lawn mower attachment. Done in and hour and have an ATV for all sorts of other useful shit... Snow removal, trailer hauling, etc.

CheeseDanish

Aug 24, 2004
I fucking hate having a lawn to take care of.

Having a backyard/garden is only nice when you have time to take care or it and keep up the maintenance

Beardo

I like milk on my cocoa puffs
OT Supporter
Apr 17, 2005
British Columbia, Canada
John Deere 1025! Mower, loader, backhoe. I haven’t used the backhoe much. But the loader and mower are awesome. Also got a post hole auger from princess auto (Canadian harbour freight) that has come in handy.

Reactions: whatever

iLLt3ck

Aug 1, 2002
Pitted, so pitted
had the perfect gif then saw the SRS tag. aw fuk bye :wtc:

Is the property remote? Are you connected to city services or are you on septic? Does the area lose power enough to warrant a generator?

Mowing a lawn on a riding lawn mower with some good music or a podcast is therapeutic. :)

Das_Ubermensch

OT Supporter
Jan 11, 2004
Fuck you CITY
Safety glasses
Ear protection
Hedge trimmer
26 ft Pole saw/lopper
16 ft pole saw/lopper
Big and little chainsaws
Worx jawsaw for bucking smaller branches
Leaf mulcher
Tree climbing equipment and harness, carabiners etc
Shovels, ladders, rope, tarps, loppers, sprayers, chem

I focused a lot on tree and hedge maintenance because it is the biggest cost to save by DIY

Do not let your neighbors know you have all these tools or you'll be their sucker

atxmike

This is my custom title
OT Supporter
Nov 28, 2007
Bay Area, CA
I had a riding mower with 1.8ac. My 70+ year old neighbor would sometimes stop by with her zero turn on the way home from doing some of her businesses down the road and knock out my front yard for me in 10 minutes where it took me 30+. All this to say I would recommend getting a zero turn mower unless you are getting a full on tractor. With a tractor you can get all kinds of cool attachments like an auger and excavating arm.

Reactions: Sirius

Normie

KungFlu Crew #002
OT Supporter
I mean you can go a few ways.. I find a riding tractor is the most economical. Yes it will take you longer than with a zero turn, but it is cheaper, you can buy more attachments etc for it to offset the benefits of a zero turn.

Highly recommend a cyclone rake, sucks up, and chops elements a bit more and dumps them into a large dump body. Really makes fall and spring clean ups awesome :bowdown:

I also bought a tow behind aerator. Probably was a waste of money, You are better off hiring someone with a real aerator if you need it.

You will need an assload of hand tools if you're going to garden most of the lot, a rototiller would be the main.

Once you start thinking of doing that kind of stuff, a tractor might make sense. More attachments, more money!

amalgamas

OT Supporter
Jan 7, 2007
Somewhere, AZ
Property that size you'll probably want to make sure that your borders are well defined, first thing I'd do after buying tools is have the county assessor get you the map and get everything marked off.

I've often found with older/larger properties the former owners and neighbors either came to understandings on what goes where and who gets to do things in which spot which weren't communicated to the new owners.

Last thing you want is to start any construction project and to find out that, whoops, you're ten feet into your neighbors property.

dissonance

OT Supporter
May 23, 2006
KS
If your house has a sump pump, buy an extra so you don't have to rush out to get one in an emergency
And/or get a backup so you're not SOL in a power outage. I had a battery one in my last house and it worked but was annoying. I put in a water backup in current house and have zero regrets.

Reactions: Jinx

Users who are viewing this thread

About Us

• Please do not post anything that violates any Local, State, Federal or International Laws. Your privacy is protected. You have the right to be forgotten. Site funded by advertising, link monetization and member support.
OT v15.11.2 Copyright © 2000-2022 Offtopic.com
Served by fx.offtopic.com

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jexic84026