CREW Homeowner crew - How hard is it to remove smaller trees?

Perfect Speed

Software and Cars
OT Supporter
Apr 8, 2006
PHL>ABQ>SEA>CLT
The wife and I are house shopping and came across a house we *really* like. It basically checks every box we have (and even a few we didn't know we had) and is within our budget.

The one issue is the house has a lot of trees in the back yard. The wife wants to be able to garden so this is an issue not only for gardening space but shade as well.

There's probably 8-10 trees that would need to be removed. None of which are larger than a 12-14" in diameter (most are smaller) - they are mature and fairly tall though. So I'm wondering if they fact that they aren't 3 feet in diameter will help.

Who has has stuff like this removed and how costly/time consuming was it?

Super Dolemite

OT Supporter
Jan 14, 2002
Stumps and roots is a pain if the don’t grind them all the way out. You could get a stump grinder or try to pull em out yourself as a project

Reactions: TheProwler

Jonny Chimpo

Dec 20, 2003
Hell
Just the fact that you’ve made this thread tells me you shouldn’t DIY it. You’re gonna get hurt.

seriously, if you don’t know what you’re doing there’s about 1000 things that can go wrong and fuck your shit up big time. Hire a pro.

TS
TS
Perfect Speed

Perfect Speed

Software and Cars
OT Supporter
Apr 8, 2006
PHL>ABQ>SEA>CLT
Stumps and roots is a pain if the don’t grind them all the way out. You could get a stump grinder or try to pull em out yourself as a project
From the size of them and the quick research I've done, I think the biggest problem will be cutting them down itself. i think the digging up and cutting of the roots and pulling the stumps I could do myself

Just the fact that you’ve made this thread tells me you shouldn’t DIY it. You’re gonna get hurt.
seriously, if you don’t know what you’re doing there’s about 1000 things that can go wrong and fuck your shit up big time. Hire a pro.
Call an arborist and have them quote you. Sounds like $2,500+ w/ stump grinding
Word, wondering what it'd cost. Not trying to cut them down myself... Like I said - the stumps I can probably do, but fuck trying to cut a tree down and get it to fall the way I want.

chornelium

pepper mill connoisseur
Jan 26, 2006
San Juan Island, WA
Ill get hated on on for this, but I use a corded sawZall and and long blade to cut roots of small trees . Fucks them right in the pussy.
Well that's being surgical about it and works well. I've done the same thing.. and also with an old chainsaw (and dull chain).. digging out the dirt to find the roots to cut is the most labor intensive part.. then fixing a drag chain around it and pulling the stump out with the truck in 4x4 is easy peazy.

We actually took out 5 stumps that had a 14'-18' base with a Kawasaki Mule... Took about a dozen pulls/reverses on the toughest one, but they plunked right out.

It's actually a lot of fun, at least was for me.

Reactions: Perfect Speed

atxmike

This is my custom title
OT Supporter
Nov 28, 2007
Bay Area, CA
From Dec 2019 - $950 and $200. Expensive one was ~45ft Arizona Ash with some accessibility issues. Cheaper one was ~20ft mulberry. Both were just dead trees. Stump grinding would have been ~$400 more but I declined because they said it made a huge mess of wood chips.

For both cutting down the tree and stump removal the second tree is always a lot cheaper because a big part of the cost is getting the equipment out there so think ahead if you have anything else you want removed.

Leonard Washington

Aug 15, 2004
I had 2 I did myself. Chop those fuckers down and then cut the stump way down, filled it over and planted seed.

not hard work but time consuming but you get to feel like a man and use dangerous power tools ftw

if you don’t want the stumps there due to gardening issues, just yank them with your truck

Super Dolemite

OT Supporter
Jan 14, 2002
From the size of them and the quick research I've done, I think the biggest problem will be cutting them down itself. i think the digging up and cutting of the roots and pulling the stumps I could do myself

Word, wondering what it'd cost. Not trying to cut them down myself... Like I said - the stumps I can probably do, but fuck trying to cut a tree down and get it to fall the way I want.
Get you a good chainsaw and a pole saw.... either Stihl, husqavarnia or echo.
I wouldn’t cut too close to the ground and I would try to pull as many stumps as possible

Users who are viewing this thread

About Us

• Please do not post anything that violates any Local, State, Federal or International Laws. Your privacy is protected. You have the right to be forgotten. Site funded by advertising, link monetization and member support.
OT v15.11.2 Copyright © 2000-2022 Offtopic.com
Served by fx.offtopic.com

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thetongue