SRS Housing Issues...

klizzle

Feb 27, 2005
I need some input on whether my logic here is way off:

So I currently am living in a 6 person house with some of my friends at college. We have an extra room open because one of my friends is sharing a room with his gf. We decided it would be smart to get someone else to live with us since we have the extra room, and I found a friend who'd be willing to live here. We were going to charge him a little cheaper rent since the room isn't as nice as some of the others. The problem is because we cannot decided how to split up my friends rent. The couple that are sharing a room seem to think they deserve a bigger portion of the rent because they are paying two people's rent for the same room. I think we should split the rent equally since nothing really entitles them to the room. Here's some of an e-mail he sent me about it today while I was at work:

Honestly, I don't see where you're coming from at all. [his and her name] are paying $3400 for a room that is on par with the room you and everyone else is paying $1700 for. The extra room wouldn't even be available if it wasn't for me living with [gf's name].

Am I just way off base here? He's paying to rent his spot in this house, what makes him think he deserves more of the rent we charge my friend?

vodkacollins

Apr 2, 2008
CdM, CA
then they should split the rent for the room and the new person should pay whatever is left over.

they are renting a room, not a spot. if they are occupying the same room, then they have to decide between them how to split the cost of the room. its no one elses business

bluefox1081

Feb 5, 2007
Split the rent per room. Charge them one fee, and however they decide to divide that fee between them is their decision.

However, all other expenses should be split per person.

calisteph6

May 5, 2005
KRAPROOM
this is always an issue...some people think that two couples living together should get a discount...and some don't. Fact is that they still use all the utilities as 2 people and common area as two people.

If you have that many people can you take a vote and agree that majority rules? Also, how much does the extra $ mean to you, enough to ruin a friendship/housemate relationship?

TS
TS

klizzle

Feb 27, 2005
Thanks for your responses. I'm actually the guy splitting the room with my GF, but posted from the other point of view to try and get some unbiased answers. Personally I think every bit of rent the extra person pays should go to me and my gf, but when I realized people weren't going to buy it (because he's still sharing common area etc) I asked for only half of the rent to go to me and my GF and STILL am getting shit for it.

Last edited:

Ameter

Mar 31, 2005
Calgary, AB
I need some input on whether my logic here is way off:

So I currently am living in a 6 person house with some of my friends at college. We have an extra room open because one of my friends is sharing a room with his gf. We decided it would be smart to get someone else to live with us since we have the extra room, and I found a friend who'd be willing to live here. We were going to charge him a little cheaper rent since the room isn't as nice as some of the others. The problem is because we cannot decided how to split up my friends rent. The couple that are sharing a room seem to think they deserve a bigger portion of the rent because they are paying two people's rent for the same room. I think we should split the rent equally since nothing really entitles them to the room. Here's some of an e-mail he sent me about it today while I was at work:

Am I just way off base here? He's paying to rent his spot in this house, what makes him think he deserves more of the rent we charge my friend?
I'd say an equal share, PER PERSON is fair.

ie) The couple gets double what everyone else gets.

Personally, if I were the couple, I'd want almost the entire rent, since they're effectively renting both rooms

Ameter

Mar 31, 2005
Calgary, AB
this is always an issue...some people think that two couples living together should get a discount...and some don't. Fact is that they still use all the utilities as 2 people and common area as two people.

If you have that many people can you take a vote and agree that majority rules? Also, how much does the extra $ mean to you, enough to ruin a friendship/housemate relationship?
that deserves paying something extra, but not double the rent

Ameter

Mar 31, 2005
Calgary, AB
Thanks for your responses. I'm actually the guy splitting the room with my GF, but posted from the other point of view to try and get some unbiased answers. Personally I think every bit of rent the extra person pays should go to me and my gf, but when I realized people weren't going to buy it (because he's still sharing common area etc) I asked for only half of the rent to go to me and my GF and STILL am getting shit for it.
I think that's fair, since you and your girlfriend are effectively renting both rooms, and only choosing to use one. Therefore, the renting of the extra room is renting YOUR extra room, and you should only have to compensate the roommates for the extra usage of space, and crampage from a 7th person.

Half the extra rent seems more than fair to me.

Ask them this: Would they agree to pay the full amount of rent they're paying now if someone stayed in their room with them?

Coddle

Apr 4, 2006
I think that's fair, since you and your girlfriend are effectively renting both rooms, and only choosing to use one. Therefore, the renting of the extra room is renting YOUR extra room, and you should only have to compensate the roommates for the extra usage of space, and crampage from a 7th person.

Half the extra rent seems more than fair to me.

Ask them this: Would they agree to pay the full amount of rent they're paying now if someone stayed in their room with them?

qft

Ameter

Mar 31, 2005
Calgary, AB
If I were you, I would keep my stuff in the "extra bedroom". Sounds like you are going to get the short end of the deal.
:werd: either no extra roommate and use the extra room for stuff (you've got to be cramped), or pocket the majority of the extra rent

Users who are viewing this thread

About Us

• Please do not post anything that violates any Local, State, Federal or International Laws. Your privacy is protected. You have the right to be forgotten. Site funded by advertising, link monetization and member support.
OT v15.8.1 Copyright © 2000-2022 Offtopic.com
Served by fu.offtopic.com

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vitalesan