Housing market is too far gone.

Bugalu

OT Supporter
Nov 23, 2003
Nashville
I now know like 4 families who have moved or are in process of moving to tennessee.

I wonder how long it will take to get tired of it :mamoru:
Said this a few times… moved here from LA. Everyone gave me shit.

I’ve now helped 4 of my friends move here lol.

But we are full. So stay there plz

Reactions: Sp33dealer

Phantom

Mar 19, 2000
SDCA
After living in SoCal for over 15 years I'd give that a resounding no. Especially with school busses that don't cost extra and class sizes that are 16 to 1 compared to 26 to 1 at our school in Irvine.
I lived in VA for 30 years and have family all cross the state. The move from socal is going to be a culture shock. Virginia is still very much run by good old boys whose families have owned land since the 1600s. The civil war mindset of the south is fairly strong in many parts of the state. It’s going to be a tough transition if you move anywhere outside the major metro areas. But ya, real estate is cheap and your income taxes will be slightly lower.

Reactions: intro_vert13

DasVWBabe

OT's Diamond and Gemstone Tutorial Creator
OT Supporter
Sep 25, 2002
Frisconia
nearby. gonna be 10 houses away from my daughter :cool:

depends. i may put it at a marina for $640/mo..or try to get an easement at the current house as part of the deal.. or something. if not, i'll sell. i dont have an attachment to it.
:bigthumb:

Does the new house have a pool, too? :x:

zizi

OT Supporter
Jan 11, 2005
I lived in VA for 30 years and have family all cross the state. The move from socal is going to be a culture shock. Virginia is still very much run by good old boys whose families have owned land since the 1600s. The civil war mindset of the south is fairly strong in many parts of the state. It’s going to be a tough transition if you move anywhere outside the major metro areas. But ya, real estate is cheap and your income taxes will be slightly lower.
I'm an Asian immigrant and used to live in Chesterfield county and Richmond so I'm familiar with the area.

Menger

OT Supporter
Nov 23, 2011
Went to an open house today. Total lipstick on a pig situation. Someone did the floors, kitchen, and paint and didn’t take care of the leaking basement, the roof that was straight up missing a section of shingles, or the exterior paint that was in total disrepair. Lame.

• Support
Reactions: 01ACRViper

zizi

OT Supporter
Jan 11, 2005
Mosquitos have been out of control the last two summers and falls in SoCal so that's one less thing to justify the cost here.
What happened here? When I first moved to SoCal over 15 years ago there were like no mosquitoes but now im getting bit often during the summer and fall. I thought with the drought there would be less of them.

Hisma

OT Supporter
Apr 2, 2006
Reno, NV
I've not seen a single mosquito since I moved to Reno so far. As someone that grew up in the souf and seems to attract mosquitos like a magnet any time I'm outdoors, it's been a nice change.
Wonder if they show up in the summer tho.

• Support
Reactions: DasVWBabe

Remy Bressant

Boots in the cab SMDFTB
OT Supporter
Jul 24, 2015
SoCal
all of the above

S&G in the Houston area (mostly sand). We'd like a new S&G operation in DFW, SA, and Austin.

New standalone aggregates in the Austin area (good luck) - so Edwards limestone. Glen Rose is too soft.

Expansion of our cement plants, but that has to be adjoining the existing facility, not really a geology problem to find, just buying land.

Most of our sites are limestone (Edwards, Glen Rose, or Chico Ridge (Pennsylvanian). But some basalt variants, sandstone, novaculite, meta-quartzite, and nepheline syenite at various locations. anything hard enough really.
Are you working for one of the big national outfits like Vulcan or Sully Miller? or are you an independent they contract with?

01ACRViper

Official OT LOTR Guru......... Spurs >*
Jul 12, 2001
Dallas
Are you working for one of the big national outfits like Vulcan or Sully Miller? or are you an independent they contract with?

work for one of the big guys

i do exploration for a 5 state division (Texas Oklahoma Arkansas Louisiana and a bit of southern Kansas)

01ACRViper

Official OT LOTR Guru......... Spurs >*
Jul 12, 2001
Dallas
I've not seen a single mosquito since I moved to Reno so far. As someone that grew up in the souf and seems to attract mosquitos like a magnet any time I'm outdoors, it's been a nice change.
Wonder if they show up in the summer tho.

at least in Elko, there were only mosquitos if you lived close to the river. we lived 3/4 of a mile away and didn't have any. so nice :bowdown:

our backyard here in DFW is unusable from the middle of may till the first freeze

Reactions: Hisma

Menger

OT Supporter
Nov 23, 2011
I'm going to meet with a realtor tomorrow (thanks @saabguy ) and hopefully she isn't too crushed in spirits when I tell her I have identified a small 0.5 sq mile neighborhood I'd really prefer to buy in :rofl:

college town, walkable to some food/drinks/breweries/parks ... I think that kind of fits me better than just a boring situation somewhere :dunno:

mdaniel

S is for Shiksa
May 6, 2000
NW Mejicooooooo
What happened here? When I first moved to SoCal over 15 years ago there were like no mosquitoes but now im getting bit often during the summer and fall. I thought with the drought there would be less of them.

There's a new species of mosquito here that bites during the day and bites repeatedly. I've literally been outside 5 minutes in jeans and crew socks and gotten several bites on my ankles. It's ridiculous now. I also heard that during COVID they stopped whatever mosquito abatement they normally did which only added to the problem. So now I have to cover myself with bug repellent half the year. May as well move to the East or South now.

Reactions: zizi

Users who are viewing this thread

About Us

• Please do not post anything that violates any Local, State, Federal or International Laws. Your privacy is protected. You have the right to be forgotten. Site funded by advertising, link monetization and member support.
OT v15.8.1 Copyright © 2000-2022 Offtopic.com
Served by fu.offtopic.com

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ddunn9448