Housing market is too far gone.

midnite

OT Supporter
Apr 5, 2002
San Diego, CA
Anyone else feel like they just don’t fit into a subdivision neighborhood? That’s almost surely what makes the most sense for me, some generic 3/2 built from the last 20-25 years, but I feel like I will find it so boring to be there, and the lots are generally so small and constraining. I dunno.
My friends just moved from San Diego to San Antonio and live in a boring subdivision with a barely 2 car garage and less backyard than I have here, while being literally right next to their neighbor. Sure its a pretty big house, but why :rofl:

Menger

OT Supporter
Nov 23, 2011
My friends just moved from San Diego to San Antonio and live in a boring subdivision with a barely 2 car garage and less backyard than I have here, while being literally right next to their neighbor. Sure its a pretty big house, but why :rofl:
yeah :hs:

That’s what can get me the newest and nicest house for the money, but I’m not sure it’s a sacrifice worth making in those other respects with the small lot, small garage, and tightly packed neighbors. :hs:

Sp33dealer

Bully Troll Crew
Aug 3, 2005
DFW
CAs can’t stand people moving out, just let us leave

• Wow
Reactions: Muddy Waters

haze

Money printer go BRRRRRRRRRRRRRR
OT Supporter
Oct 3, 2004
¯\(ツ)/¯
San Antonio is the nut low :nope:

Bugalu

OT Supporter
Nov 23, 2003
Nashville
yea, nice downtown, just like Pleasanton.
Livermore’s downtown used to suck compared to p town.

And wtf, this is small town shit….. my dad owned a company on division and my buddies and I would spend our nights at that pizza place across from the ole gas station

Slimmy

Yep.
Mar 14, 2000
Ft. Lauderdale
yeah :hs:

That’s what can get me the newest and nicest house for the money, but I’m not sure it’s a sacrifice worth making in those other respects with the small lot, small garage, and tightly packed neighbors. :hs:
Live in a condo for 10+ years and you appreciate the idea of a garage and a backyard even if the house is close to your neighbors. There's something to be said for non-shared parking, and no common walkways.

Affordable homes in nice neighborhoods with tons of land isn't a thing down here. :dunno:

The neighborhood I'm currently bidding on is very tightly packed, but won't bother me at all.

Last edited:

Menger

OT Supporter
Nov 23, 2011
Live in a condo for 10+ years and you appreciate the idea of a garage and a backyard even if the house is close to your neighbors. There's something to be said for non-shared parking, and no common walkways.

Affordable homes in nice neighborhoods with tons of land isn't a thing down here. :dunno:

The neighborhood I'm currently bidding on very tightly packed, but won't bother me at all.
Oh I’ve spent 10 years in apartments and condos so very familiar as well … but it does get old to me. I don’t want to hear the neighbors conversations… hopefully looking at a place today that’s not nearly as nice of a house, but sufficient, but has some space, a >half acre lot, and room for 4+ cars of garage space. We’ll see. Everything is a compromise. That’s the biggest thing I’ve learned when looking :hs:

Weapon X

Sep 5, 2001

The neighborhood I'm currently bidding on very tightly packed, but won't bother me at all.
It's easy to say that. Living it is different. I have a 4/2.5 house, about 2250 sq ft on .25 acre and it feels a little cramped. It was built in '93. Anything newer than that was on increasingly smaller lot sizes until you have these nice houses on shit lots.

Friend of mine bought a brand new house. It's nice but has a yard that would suit a townhouse. It's fucking terrible. There's no privacy, at all. You can't even plant trees because everything is so close. Can't enjoy being outside without hearing your neighbors conversations if they speak above a whisper and seeing everything they do. The view out of the windows is either the side of your neighbors house or the front or back of the houses around you. They spent over $600K for it.

• Support
Reactions: DasVWBabe

Slimmy

Yep.
Mar 14, 2000
Ft. Lauderdale
It's easy to say that. Living it is different. I have a 4/2.5 house, about 2250 sq ft on .25 acre and it feels a little cramped. It was built in '93. Anything newer than that was on increasingly smaller lot sizes until you have these nice houses on shit lots.

Friend of mine bought a brand new house. It's nice but has a yard that would suit a townhouse. It's fucking terrible. There's no privacy, at all. You can't even plant trees because everything is so close. Can't enjoy being outside without hearing your neighbors conversations if they speak above a whisper and seeing everything they do. The view out of the windows is either the side of your neighbors house or the front or back of the houses around you. They spent over $600K for it.
Depends on where you live I guess, it's just a reality down here, density is much higher. If you want space, it's expensive. This is the new home neighborhood I'm bidding on. :dunno:

Untitled.png

Weapon X

Sep 5, 2001
Depends on where you live I guess, it's just a reality down here, density is much higher, if you want space, it's expensive.
I'm just outside of Raleigh, near RTP and it's insane here. They are squeezing as many homes as they can onto the smallest possible amount of land.

The older the home, the more land you get. It's the unfortunate reality.

Remy Bressant

40 big girls and a bottle
OT Supporter
Jul 24, 2015
SoCal
I'm just outside of Raleigh, near RTP and it's insane here. They are squeezing as many homes as they can onto the smallest possible amount of land.

publicly traded home builders have been doing this for a while now.
places like Vegas and the Inland Empire are getting zero lot line 3 story shitboxes or shared wall PUD's non stop. its sad.

Reactions: Weapon X

Diesel66

OT Supporter
Feb 20, 2005
Kc
Oh I’ve spent 10 years in apartments and condos so very familiar as well … but it does get old to me. I don’t want to hear the neighbors conversations… hopefully looking at a place today that’s not nearly as nice of a house, but sufficient, but has some space, a >half acre lot, and room for 4+ cars of garage space. We’ll see. Everything is a compromise. That’s the biggest thing I’ve learned when looking :hs:
The only places like that are in rural or $$$$ even in the lcol areas

pookrat

OT Supporter
Dec 6, 2002
The Woodlands
I got so lucky to find my place space wise. I have almost 3/4 acre lot. At the end of a cul de sac. Private neighborhood. Right next to the walking paths. No back neighbors. And I can walk or ride a bike to the Waterway, The Woodlands Pavillion, etc.

zizi

OT Supporter
Jan 11, 2005

I wanted a newer home but ended up buying a home built in the 80s. The plus side is that it's on almost an acre of land.

Reactions: Weapon X

atxmike

This is my custom title
OT Supporter
Nov 28, 2007
Austin, TX
I got so lucky to find my place space wise. I have almost 3/4 acre lot. At the end of a cul de sac. Private neighborhood. Right next to the walking paths. No back neighbors. And I can walk or ride a bike to the Waterway, The Woodlands Pavillion, etc.

Cul-de-sacs are the best. I grew up on one and live on one now. No package thefts ftw

Users who are viewing this thread

About Us

• Please do not post anything that violates any Local, State, Federal or International Laws. Your privacy is protected. You have the right to be forgotten. Site funded by advertising, link monetization and member support.
OT v15.8.1 Copyright © 2000-2022 Offtopic.com
Served by fu.offtopic.com

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marsillpost