Housing market is too far gone.

Menger

OT Supporter
Nov 23, 2011
Alarm system battery warning?

Smart lock battery warning?

HVAC control board in the attic/basement?

Filter replacement reminder on a fridge?
I really dunno, can’t pinpoint it, don’t want to chase it around the house, but it’s annoying :/

I guess the previous owner smoked occasionally when she wasn’t supposed to and thus threw away the smoke detectors so she wouldn’t get caught :o

midnite

OT Supporter
Apr 5, 2002
San Diego, CA
Something in my house is faintly beeping and I can’t figure out what… :wtc:

You might suspect a smoke detector but I don’t think I have any :o

On the list … :o

Wasn’t the fridge door …
This happened to me when I lived in my friends condo while he was working overseas, and it drove me insane. Turned out being a carbon monoxide detector that was behind a dresser so you couldn't see it :rofl:

• Haha
Reactions: Menger

saabguy

Saab-free since 2013. Mortgage guru
OT Supporter
Aug 11, 2003
Loserville. Population: 1
"So we're withdrawing the offer on that house because we found out there was a murder/suicide there"

ace-ventura-alrighty-then.gif

Capt. Hammer

Purveyor of Bespoke Photoshop ROFLs and LOLs
OT Supporter
Jun 14, 2003
The Lone Star State
Description: "no expense spared"

Pictures: Carpet as far as the eye can see

Reminds me of one of my old coworkers who took out a HELOC to renovate their house to sell it, and they put brand new carpet in all of the bathrooms, even around the toilets.

I just Homer Simpson.gif'd my way out of the office when she was showing pictures and talking to everyone about it

• Haha
Reactions: stevezissou

stevezissou

OT Supporter
Jul 15, 2009
US
Reminds me of one of my old coworkers who took out a HELOC to renovate their house to sell it, and they put brand new carpet in all of the bathrooms, even around the toilets.

I just Homer Simpson.gif'd my way out of the office when she was showing pictures and talking to everyone about it
My next-door neighbor listed their house for sale

Said their realtor advised they replace the carpet with pet stains on it

I suggested they leave carpet as is and just offer concessions or allowances for flooring during negotiations, to prevent wasted money being spent.

"Our realtor knows what she is doing, we replaced all the carpet"

First week new owners ripped out all the new carpet :rofl: :rofl:

Remy Bressant

d i l d e r
OT Supporter
Jul 24, 2015
SoCal

I suggested they leave carpet as is and just offer concessions or allowances for flooring during negotiations, to prevent wasted money being spent.

“Our realtor knows what she is doing!”
:bowrofl:

DasVWBabe

OT's Diamond and Gemstone Tutorial Creator
OT Supporter
Sep 25, 2002
Frisconia

This is the way. I'm not touching a thing in our house unless we are called on it.

We went to look at new construction houses yesterday to kill some time and I chuckled to myself when I saw the convertible C Class parked outside one of the Pulte home models. :o
The Coventry Homes sales rep has an '80s 190E. I'm not even sure what the joke is there. :rofl:

Gaunt

blood for the blood god
OT Supporter
Apr 16, 2005
KC

Guy, "I want you to carpet the whole house."

Contractor, "the entire house?"

Guy, "yes"

Contractor, "you got it!"

stevezissou

OT Supporter
Jul 15, 2009
US
Realtor was right. You don’t want to take a house to market with dingy stained ass carpets, it makes the entire house seem old and poorly maintained.
few pet stains upstairs

"ENTIRE HOUSE IS OLD AND POORLY MAINTAINED"

Dude anyone other than a first time buyer just asks for concessions/allowances to redo carpet/flooring as they see fit.

How much sense did it make to pay all that money, replace all that carpet,(which just had a few stains on it) only to have it ripped out one week later?

Other than to protect your commission by not knocking down the sales price?

saabguy

Saab-free since 2013. Mortgage guru
OT Supporter
Aug 11, 2003
Loserville. Population: 1
I bet this room has scared off people seeing it in the listing :hsugh:

House we are seeing tonight.

Capture.jpg

Wife tracked down that a 98 year old woman lives there now, maybe with one of her kids.
Yeah it may seem like a waste of money to replace work carpets and take down floral wallpaper borders, and it’s better to offer credits to buyers to do their own stuff. But not all buyers can think conceptually like that. Or can’t get past looking at 30 year old carpets soaked in cat piss. Or if they can get past it, they will only buy at a DEEP discount. So sometimes you need to dump some money into it to make it more appealing. Or, sell as-is at a firesale price.

10dementianal

Mar 29, 2007
Another week, another house to get excited about that will end in heartache somehow :wtc:

This baby has been on the market 41 days. Has dropped in price to where it's in our range now.

gen-Mbmob-11710653-1-0.jpg

Old people live there now. The place is carpeted but listing says original hardwood under. We won't mind ripping the carpet up hopefully that is scaring people away :noes:

gen-Mbmob-11710653-3-0.jpg

A lot going for it, new roof, plumbing, electrical and boiler. Pretty much move in ready minus the carpet. Also has AC big plus for a house this old.

Seeing if tomorrow after work. Time change it'll still be light out.
gorgeous on the outside. While I was in Chicago last week I managed to avoid an accident on the Eisenhower, Dan Ryan 290? (whatever). Somehow managed to drive through the Frank Lloyd Wright district, holy shit what a beautiful.

• Wow
Reactions: DasVWBabe

Bill The Butcher

OT Supporter
Nov 28, 2004
Chicago(land)
gorgeous on the outside. While I was in Chicago last week I managed to avoid an accident on the Eisenhower, Dan Ryan 290? (whatever). Somehow managed to drive through the Frank Lloyd Wright district, holy shit what a beautiful.

not sure if I've ever seen that area, sounds like Oak Park which is $$$ (my boss's daughter lives there after he gave her 50k to put down on a house)

House tonight is in the W burbs far away from the city.

May 8, 2001
Colorado
"So we're withdrawing the offer on that house because we found out there was a murder/suicide there"

ace-ventura-alrighty-then.gif
I showed a former meth lab a few weeks ago and they had the decontamination certs posted in the MLS additional supplements. The photos during the process looked like something out of Breaking Bad.

Home was in a $550-$650K neighborhood in Castle Rock. :o

Users who are viewing this thread

About Us

• Please do not post anything that violates any Local, State, Federal or International Laws. Your privacy is protected. You have the right to be forgotten. Site funded by advertising, link monetization and member support.
OT v15.14.0 Copyright © 2000-2023 Offtopic.com
Served by fx.offtopic.com

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bigxmotion