ART How best to use my current kit?

ASIGN_Baz

Apr 26, 2009
Australia
2zta52g.jpg

Here's what I have.

Only one 580EX speedlite
2 x 100W lamps (picture right)
1 x DIY softbox, foil lined, cheesecloth front and patio spotlight. (Picture left)
1 x home made beauty dish (picture bottom centre)
1 x White umbrella on stand
1 x Five in one reflector (Silver, gold, black, white and diffuse)
1 x wireless trigger.

I still can't afford a proper monolight kit, so am trying to do my best with these.

What do the mentors out there think?

Baz.

FryingPan

Certified Thread Killer
May 19, 2000
Raleigh, NC
What are you trying to do? Honestly, you can do just about anything with one speedlight and wireless triggers.

When I mix strobes and continuous lighting, I end up just using the strobe as a kicker for texture/flare/presence rather than the primary light source.

dXTdB.jpg

yXkc6.jpg

Or you could channel your inner Terry Richardson and just use it directly on camera.

2Whin.jpg

The latter only seems to work right if you have hot and willing models though. :hs:

charles foster kane

Feb 14, 2007
Croatia
I'd consider selling the 580EX. Ebay says that you could get AUD $300-$330 for it (going on recent sale prices of first generation, decent condition).

Then...

2x Yongnuo 460-II manual speedlights, $43 each with free shipping
1x Yongnuo RF-602 trigger, two receivers. Comes in a set, $63 with free shipping

If you can't shoot something with two speedlights, you're over-stretching yourself or just doing it wrong. It really should cover everything, with the range of modifiers available.

$146 so far without being out of pocket, and you have $181 to decide what sort of modifiers you want to explore more. Stands are cheap as chips so maybe get another one for the second light and ditch the desklamp/tripod macguyver rig, then you'll be using a much smaller, lighter, convenient arrangement for hairlights in portraits with the 2nd speedlight (for example).

What sort of thing are you looking to shoot ?

charles foster kane

Feb 14, 2007
Croatia
Also, can you get a speedlight up into that macguyver-softbox on left of pic? That would make a really nice large soft light source, and cleaner than the shop-lamp or whatever is up in it now.

Oh and watch Onelight if you haven't already, then you'll realise just how much is possible with the gear in the image you posted.

(but still take my advice downsizing from the 580ex to multiple cheaper lights and a set of triggers)

TS
TS
ASIGN_Baz

ASIGN_Baz

Apr 26, 2009
Australia
Sorry, to answer your question, I am shooting portraits in my studio. Starting to get creative now, but just need models to practice on. UTube tutorials are all well and good, but nothing compares to giving it a go.

Here's some I've done over the past year or so, but I am looking to get away from this "normal" and "safe" stuff, without going the nudity/sexy path. Not into that.

TS
TS
ASIGN_Baz

ASIGN_Baz

Apr 26, 2009
Australia
:h5: thanks man

I've had a good week on OTAP dropping knowledge bombs left and right, but to be honest most of it is just regurgitated information I've learned from better people on this forum :love:

I learn more from this forum than any other. I get prompt advice and worthwhile stuff with no smart-arse comments. I like jokes as much as the next bloke, but here the roastings are very constructive.

Users who are viewing this thread

About Us

• Please do not post anything that violates any Local, State, Federal or International Laws. Your privacy is protected. You have the right to be forgotten. Site funded by advertising, link monetization and member support.
OT v15.8.1 Copyright © 2000-2022 Offtopic.com
Served by fu.offtopic.com

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Theodor