LOVE How do you take a strong compliment?

yexy

Mar 8, 2008
Saskatchewan, Canada
I take compliments a little more graciously than I used to...now I just say "Thanks!" and smile. I used to get all flustered and deny them, which just made me seem awkward. Sometimes a compliment is flattery to get something, and I have no further thoughts about it other than being polite to them. :p

THoC

Feb 5, 2007
i usually giggle like a school girl and say thanks.

i only return compliments if i mean it... and doing it right after sounds fake as hell.

Falconer

Jun 23, 2006
Just say, "Thanks!!" and leave it?

Do you usually try to return compliments? Or does that feel fake, like a trade?

Do you know what feels fake?

Person: *compliment*

You: "Oh, thanks!"

Person: "No problem"

You: :squint:

"no problem" takes ALL the personalization out of it and makes it sound like it was a favor.

I just try to believe that they instinctively said "no problem" as a reflex to hearing "thanks" and didn't actually mean it in the favor way.

Kind of like:

Happy birthday!

You too! :o

TS
TS
JohnJohnJohnson

JohnJohnJohnson

Effetely Sipping My Latte
OT Supporter
Sep 8, 2004
Manhattan
Do you know what feels fake?

Person: *compliment*

You: "Oh, thanks!"

Person: "No problem"

You: :squint:

"no problem" takes ALL the personalization out of it and makes it sound like it was a favor.

I just try to believe that they instinctively said "no problem" as a reflex to hearing "thanks" and didn't actually mean it in the favor way.

Kind of like:

Happy birthday!

You too! :o
How about "I'm happy to know that," instead of "Thanks?"

Maybe needs to be in person so that you can use tone of voice.

reminisce

OT Supporter
Jun 27, 2005
i would say something like "i know i am, i say the same thing when i look in the mirror every day"

Dahlia

Feb 12, 2008
Lexington, KY
I'm kinda dealing with this too, the bf is showering me with compliments, and I just had to tell him that I've never had someone say things things about me and I wasn't really sure how to properly react. :o I didn't want him to think that I didn't really appreciate what he was saying.

TS
TS
JohnJohnJohnson

JohnJohnJohnson

Effetely Sipping My Latte
OT Supporter
Sep 8, 2004
Manhattan
I'm kinda dealing with this too, the bf is showering me with compliments, and I just had to tell him that I've never had someone say things things about me and I wasn't really sure how to properly react. :o I didn't want him to think that I didn't really appreciate what he was saying.
:)

Users who are viewing this thread

About Us

• Please do not post anything that violates any Local, State, Federal or International Laws. Your privacy is protected. You have the right to be forgotten. Site funded by advertising, link monetization and member support.
OT v15.8.1 Copyright © 2000-2022 Offtopic.com
Served by fu.offtopic.com

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vitalesan