ART How illegal is downloading a pic from facebook?

houseofgrafix

PM ME I DONT GIVE A FUCK
Feb 3, 2006
Las Cruces
A good friend of mine does photography and has this under all the pics they upload to facebook.

My question is about downloading them from facebook to your computer?

illegal or not?

All images copyright ******* | *******. It is illegal to copy, scan, download &/or save any ***** images. Images may be used by using the "Tag This Photo" or " Make Profile Picture for Page" blue photo options on the right only. -->
Please do not remove our logo or crop them in anyway

michael

Florida Man, Esq.
Dec 21, 2001
The ether
He's not gonna take anyone to federal court over it. But it is technically illegal for someone to use them without his permission.

I got an A- in my copyright/trademark class last year :bowdown:

TS
TS
houseofgrafix

houseofgrafix

PM ME I DONT GIVE A FUCK
Feb 3, 2006
Las Cruces
He's not gonna take anyone to federal court over it. But it is technically illegal for someone to use them without his permission.

I got an A- in my copyright/trademark class last year :bowdown:

:) Thanks..

I may have some questions for you!

Marix

OT Supporter
May 23, 2006
Honestly, it sounds like he takes himself a bit seriously

Face the fact that if you put it online, people will use it for themselves, save copies, crop your watermark etc. That's why you only put resized stuff online if you care about protecting your stuff.

And despite what he write, if the pictures are good (which often they aren't) people will copy them. I see tons of people putting massive watermarks over their shitty images :rofl: And really, he's not going to sue anyone over downloading a facebook picture, so what's the point?

Also, what exactly is he losing by putting crappy size versions on facebook and people DO copy them? I understand being protective as a principle, but really it makes no difference to anyone if someone downloads and saves a copy. If they're selling copies or something, that matters, but it sounds to me like he's paranoid about absolutely nothing :o

TS
TS
houseofgrafix

houseofgrafix

PM ME I DONT GIVE A FUCK
Feb 3, 2006
Las Cruces
Photos are pretty nice!

252857_10150201826274424_60001119423_6715193_2179294_n.jpg

255067_10150201826199424_60001119423_6715192_4226337_n.jpg

Marix

OT Supporter
May 23, 2006
Ok..

What if someone crop out their watermark and used it on a contest to win cash?

:rofl: oh c'mon.. paranoia to the extreme! And any competition would want an image better than a 80kb jpeg with no EXIF data from facebook

Those pics are ok, but nothing super special anyway

http://www.facebook.com/studioephoto

Other pics on their facebook are better, but they're portraits of people.. who would steal those?

Marix

OT Supporter
May 23, 2006
I'm not trying to be mean or anything, but really.. nobody is going to steal those pictures and make money from them. And you can't do anything about people downloading a copy for their own personal use, so having a huge copyright notice pasted again and again just looks stupid imo

TS
TS
houseofgrafix

houseofgrafix

PM ME I DONT GIVE A FUCK
Feb 3, 2006
Las Cruces
:rofl: oh c'mon.. paranoia to the extreme! And any competition would want an image better than a 80kb jpeg with no EXIF data from facebook

Other pics on their facebook are better, but they're portraits of people.. who would steal those?

I'm not trying to be mean or anything, but really.. nobody is going to steal those pictures and make money from them. And you can't do anything about people downloading a copy for their own personal use, so having a huge copyright notice pasted again and again just looks stupid imo

I'm with you but just asking.

MSIGuy

om nom nom nom!
May 30, 2005
You should let your friend know that nobody can read her fucking horrible, oversized, script watermark. It took me a good 5 reads to see that it's sTudio E Photography and not Twilo or some shit.

michael

Florida Man, Esq.
Dec 21, 2001
The ether
Personal use is not a defense. Making money off of someone else's material isn't a prerequisite to a finding of liability..Downloading music is for personal use..

Marix

OT Supporter
May 23, 2006
Personal use is not a defense. Making money off of someone else's material isn't a prerequisite to a finding of liability..Downloading music is for personal use..

Maybe not, but it's inevitable, undetectable and nothing will ever happen about it. So why be bothered? If someone saves a copy of your 80kb jpeg from facebook, so what? You lose absolutely nothing, and you can't prevent it anyway.

michael

Florida Man, Esq.
Dec 21, 2001
The ether
Maybe not, but it's inevitable, undetectable and nothing will ever happen about it. So why be bothered? If someone saves a copy of your 80kb jpeg from facebook, so what? You lose absolutely nothing, and you can't prevent it anyway.
i totally agree.

befriending

Jan 2, 2008
Guantanamo Bay
People buy purses out of old military pants?

Surprisingly it's a fairly large market amongst military spouses/gfs/moms etc.

I don't use the pants..I use blouses that the customer sends me. I also have an entire closet full from top to bottom with donated uniforms along with a short bio about the service member that wore said uniform (most of the time those uniforms were worn in combat zones or the person was KIA etc etc). When I use the donations to make bags for people that either A) don't have a spare blouse to send me or B) are just supporters of the military..I include that little bit of info about the service member with the completed order. Customers seem to have a great sense of pride knowing where that uniform came from. It's cheesy..but I love what I do.

FryingPan

Certified Thread Killer
May 19, 2000
Raleigh, NC
Honestly, it sounds like he takes himself a bit seriously

Face the fact that if you put it online, people will use it for themselves, save copies, crop your watermark etc. That's why you only put resized stuff online if you care about protecting your stuff.

And despite what he write, if the pictures are good (which often they aren't) people will copy them. I see tons of people putting massive watermarks over their shitty images :rofl: And really, he's not going to sue anyone over downloading a facebook picture, so what's the point?

Also, what exactly is he losing by putting crappy size versions on facebook and people DO copy them? I understand being protective as a principle, but really it makes no difference to anyone if someone downloads and saves a copy. If they're selling copies or something, that matters, but it sounds to me like he's paranoid about absolutely nothing :o

You should let your friend know that nobody can read her fucking horrible, oversized, script watermark. It took me a good 5 reads to see that it's sTudio E Photography and not Twilo or some shit.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ALZZx1xmAzg

Oh and writing that long speech on the bottom of every photo is obnoxious and wont prevent a damn thing.

All of your answers are here.

Users who are viewing this thread

About Us

• Please do not post anything that violates any Local, State, Federal or International Laws. Your privacy is protected. You have the right to be forgotten. Site funded by advertising, link monetization and member support.
OT v15.8.1 Copyright © 2000-2022 Offtopic.com
Served by fu.offtopic.com

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Theodor