TECH how many Lion installs with a purchase?

dpixel8

Feb 8, 2001
WI Go Bucky!!!!!!!
Got the wife a Macbook Air the other day using my Kindle 20% off coupon. I have an i7 17" MBP from earlier this year, but haven't put Lion on it yet, as I have it setup how I like, and don't really feel like doing a whole fresh install (and am worried about just "upgrading" it :noes:)

So, since I assume (havent' even opened it yet. been a busy week with the new kiddo) the Air has Lion installed, do we get more than 1 install and I feasibly could throw it on my 17" and my 15" MBP's? :dunno:

hurleyint1386

Someone has sand in their vagina
Jan 6, 2005
Rochester, NY
Got the wife a Macbook Air the other day using my Kindle 20% off coupon. I have an i7 17" MBP from earlier this year, but haven't put Lion on it yet, as I have it setup how I like, and don't really feel like doing a whole fresh install (and am worried about just "upgrading" it :noes:)

So, since I assume (havent' even opened it yet. been a busy week with the new kiddo) the Air has Lion installed, do we get more than 1 install and I feasibly could throw it on my 17" and my 15" MBP's? :dunno:

So you bought a MacBook Air that has Lion on it... How did you plan on taking Lion that's installed on one computer and move it over to another computer?

If you purchase Lion from the Mac App Store, you have 5 installs. This is the number of computers you can authorize an Apple ID to be on.

TS
TS
dpixel8

dpixel8

Feb 8, 2001
WI Go Bucky!!!!!!!
So you bought a MacBook Air that has Lion on it... How did you plan on taking Lion that's installed on one computer and move it over to another computer?

If you purchase Lion from the Mac App Store, you have 5 installs. This is the number of computers you can authorize an Apple ID to be on.

I was under the assumption that you could use the install from a new one onto other apples that you own?

3dfx!

Oct 8, 2009

This. Think of it as the same way iTunes authorized computers work. 5 Max, all tied into the same Apple ID.
I was under the assumption that you could use the install from a new one onto other apples that you own?
Did the Air come with a recovery USB stick? If so, I don't see how you couldn't just use that instead? :dunno: I wanna say I read somewhere that those USB keys are tied to the hardware though? I can't say for sure.

Pitt

1-1-11 — Never Forget
OT Supporter
Jul 1, 2003
Injured Reserve
This. Think of it as the same way iTunes authorized computers work. 5 Max, all tied into the same Apple ID.

Did the Air come with a recovery USB stick? If so, I don't see how you couldn't just use that instead? :dunno: I wanna say I read somewhere that those USB keys are tied to the hardware though? I can't say for sure.

pretty sure they are tied to hardware. the dvds always were.

supposedly the newer airs don't come with a usb stick since Lion has the recovery partition.

3dfx!

Oct 8, 2009
even if you use Apple's own tool to create USB drives using the recovery image, those are tied to the machine that wrote to the USB drive.

TS
TS
dpixel8

dpixel8

Feb 8, 2001
WI Go Bucky!!!!!!!
so technically because i didn't buy the $35 software....that's installed on a brand new machine....i can't put it on my OTHER machines? that's pretty....odd bullshit :rofl:

Pitt

1-1-11 — Never Forget
OT Supporter
Jul 1, 2003
Injured Reserve
just sign into the app store with the lion computer then try and install lion on a different computer :dunno:

hurleyint1386

Someone has sand in their vagina
Jan 6, 2005
Rochester, NY
so technically because i didn't buy the $35 software....that's installed on a brand new machine....i can't put it on my OTHER machines? that's pretty....odd bullshit :rofl:

Take a Windows computer you have and use the Windows Product Key with Activation on it and it's the same thing... It's the EULA agreement you are agreeing to when you use the software. Not bullshit.

ZCP M3

Feb 4, 2007
Denver, CO
even if you use Apple's own tool to create USB drives using the recovery image, those are tied to the machine that wrote to the USB drive.

Not true. The utility copies the recovery partition to the USB stick. If you boot from it, Lion will be downloaded over the Internet and reinstalled. Done it on multiple Macs, you do have to authenticate to the App Store though.

3dfx!

Oct 8, 2009
Using Apple's Recovery Disk Assistant to create the USB Lion Backup, it states the following:

Notes

• If the computer shipped with Lion, the external recovery drive can only be used with the system that created it.
  • If the system was upgraded from Mac OS X v10.6 Snow Leopard to Lion, the external recovery drive can be used with other systems that were upgraded from Snow Leopard to Lion.

:dunno:

But yeah, it will then be validated using an Apple ID. I guess 5 is the max.

ZCP M3

Feb 4, 2007
Denver, CO
Using Apple's Recovery Disk Assistant to create the USB Lion Backup, it states the following:

:dunno:

But yeah, it will then be validated using an Apple ID. I guess 5 is the max.

Maybe I'm just a bauce but I used a USB Lion Recovery Disk made on my 2011 15" that shipped with Lion to install Lion on my brother's 2008 MacBook. :dunno:

Users who are viewing this thread

About Us

• Please do not post anything that violates any Local, State, Federal or International Laws. Your privacy is protected. You have the right to be forgotten. Site funded by advertising, link monetization and member support.
OT v15.8.1 Copyright © 2000-2022 Offtopic.com
Served by fu.offtopic.com

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Theodor