How much does family mean to you?

melroy

wonderin how many people ITT have been meditating
Apr 1, 2018
In any sense of the word, I guess. Talking about it with a coworker. I love my parents and siblings and would do anything for them and their kids but I dont give a shit about my family name in the long term and I also dont give a shit about where my family is from or what they did :dunno: . Half were from Sweden, some were from Ohio and Ireland before that. WOW how interesting. Just joshing, who tf cares.

Highlander_77

Madre de Dios! Es el Pollo Diablo!!!
Dec 7, 2000
New England
I would say that certain individual members of my family mean a lot to me, but just as an abstract concept family doesn't mean a whole lot. My friends mean more to me than people who I just happen to be related to but have no real connection with beyond that. :o

Reactions: melroy
TS
TS
melroy

melroy

Apr 1, 2018
often times it’s all you have in the end.. friends come and go.. I don’t get too caught up in lineage either but I’ve found you can learn a lot about yourself from exploring where you come from.
What can you learn? They grew up in a totally different world. I mean you can learn general ideas but not specifically because theyre family

Grape_Ape

OT Supporter
Sep 1, 2003
The A
Family means a hell of a lot to me, when shit has/hits the fan they are always there to help vice versa where friends may scatter, not be able/willing to help etc. My family name is not something I really care about so much but since my family is from a relatively smile island it’s cool to learn or know some of the traditions.

Reactions: Type2

Type2

Suck my Amex
OT Supporter
Apr 26, 2002
Porky's
What can you learn? They grew up in a totally different world. I mean you can learn general ideas but not specifically because theyre family

times change, sure. But I believe there are certain things in your dna that connects the way you are, act, and relate to certain things in the world in a special way that you often only find with family members. When I get together with my cousins from other parts of the world there’s a bond there that I rarely find with friends. Perhaps it’s in my mind, but still it’s unique.

Reactions: Mejnoon and melroy
TS
TS
melroy

melroy

Apr 1, 2018
At the end of the day, family is the most important thing. You don't have to like them, you don't have to hang out with them but damn sure if they need you, you're there.
I think in an ideal world this is true and I would be there for my family members but it’s not universally true 🤔

TS
TS
melroy

melroy

Apr 1, 2018
It is the closest thing to universally true that I can think of, aside from taxes.
Negative ghost rider. Sometimes family you get is too toxic and damaged for you to be able to get by and be fine and there’s nothing wrong with cutting them out if so :dunno:

Reactions: Normie

DeezNortz

THE MEATLOAF! WE WANT IT NOW!!!
OT Supporter
Sep 15, 2010
My family meaning my wife and two daughters mean everything to me. Everything.

The rest of my family...my parents...aunts, uncles, cousins....mean 0 to me.

blackhat

Viva Los Doyers
OT Supporter
Aug 7, 2005
Wife, kids, parents are the reason I do everything I do. The rest of the family I don't really care about and don't have much to do with. Everything I've done and achieved it's been about striving to make sure my kids have a good childhood with a positive upbringing that they can use to give themselves and their family, when/if they choose to have one, a good start.

Reactions: melroy

Colleen

Apr 3, 2002
🇨🇦
often times it’s all you have in the end.. friends come and go.. I don’t get too caught up in lineage either but I’ve found you can learn a lot about yourself from exploring where you come from.
So I can say the exact opposite... I don't have a large family and we don't talk to the extended part of my family. It's basically my parents and brother and then my moms niece and her husband. We don't talk to the rest of them so we are closer to friends at this point. That being said if you pick carefully you will see that friends are the same as family.

Users who are viewing this thread

About Us

• Please do not post anything that violates any Local, State, Federal or International Laws. Your privacy is protected. You have the right to be forgotten. Site funded by advertising, link monetization and member support.
OT v15.11.2 Copyright © 2000-2022 Offtopic.com
Served by fx.offtopic.com

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jexic84026