LOVE How often do you visit / see your SO's family?

THoC

Feb 5, 2007
i havent met my current SOs fam yet. my last LTR RS i probably saw them once or twice a month depending on events (bdays, parties, holidays, etc..)

iwishyouwerebeer

you shut your cunt
Sep 1, 2006
Too fucking much :rofl: I dream of the day we move so I don't get guilted into seeing them. During the whole last quarter of the year it feels like I see them once a week. I successfully have dodged them now for 4 months, but I will have to see them a lot in October, November & December, so I have to enjoy it while it lasts.

infinite.purple

Oct 26, 2007
Bothell, WA
just spent 4 days in vegas with my fiance, his parents, his sister, and her bf. was totally fun. :bowdown:

we usually get together with them at least once or twice a month. i'm psyched to be joining the family next year.

D7

OT Supporter
Dec 20, 2008
I like my ex's parents. At first, we rarely saw them. Then about once a month for dinner. At the end once a week for dinner.

We didn't see my parents much. My ex and my mom would call or email each other to talk about their hobbies.

Lucky :hs: I'd kill to have likable in-laws

:hs: :hug:

deadmeat

OT Supporter
Aug 14, 2003
Lollifornia
daily, unfortunately

holy dysfunctional fucking family, batman!

do NOT marry that one.

I like my ex's parents. At first, we rarely saw them. Then about once a month for dinner. At the end once a week for dinner.

We didn't see my parents much. My ex and my mom would call or email each other to talk about their hobbies.

:hs: :hug:

ok WTF dating someone that has hobbies in common with your MOM?

TS
TS
ww_Crimson

ww_Crimson

Sep 3, 2007
Bay Area
Do you guys ever feel obligated to see them? My GF and I live together and see my mom / brothers every day or two. Mom lives a city over and my brothers go to school in my city, so she'll stop by my house in the evening while she waits for them to finish hanging out with their friends, etc. It kinda annoys me but there are some unique situations in my family and I feel obligated to let them come over. Doesn't seem to bother my GF much. We see her family probably once every other week. Her mom lives just a few miles away. Same with her aunt. Most of her family is bilingual but when they get together in larger gatherings they primarily speak Spanish to each other and I feel completely isolated around them. I know enough to kinda pick up on some conversations but I can't speak it. When we visit her mom / siblings they all speak English which I don't mind.. I just hate going to gatherings with her family because of it. She knows I don't enjoy it, and very rarely insists that I go with her to events/gatherings, but sometimes I feel obligated anyway.

iwishyouwerebeer

you shut your cunt
Sep 1, 2006
What about yours isn't likable?
Bleh, it would take me too long to explain. They're just very strange, awkward people.

Do you guys ever feel obligated to see them? My GF and I live together and see my mom / brothers every day or two. Mom lives a city over and my brothers go to school in my city, so she'll stop by my house in the evening while she waits for them to finish hanging out with their friends, etc. It kinda annoys me but there are some unique situations in my family and I feel obligated to let them come over. Doesn't seem to bother my GF much. We see her family probably once every other week. Her mom lives just a few miles away. Same with her aunt. Most of her family is bilingual but when they get together in larger gatherings they primarily speak Spanish to each other and I feel completely isolated around them. I know enough to kinda pick up on some conversations but I can't speak it. When we visit her mom / siblings they all speak English which I don't mind.. I just hate going to gatherings with her family because of it. She knows I don't enjoy it, and very rarely insists that I go with her to events/gatherings, but sometimes I feel obligated anyway.
First off, I'd lose it if my mom or his mom came over as often as yours does. I love my mom, but that's just way too much popping in for me.

About her family gatherings: my family is the same and it has always been problematic for the non-Hispanic people anyone dated :mamoru: When a huge grouping of the fam is together they mostly speak Spanish. It is frustrating when you don't speak the language and you feel left out, but more than likely they don't mean to make you feel that way. Most of the time they go in and out of Spanish so much that they don't even know they're doing it.

My uncle married a very Polish woman who eventually refused to go to any of our family gatherings because she thought it was rude everyone spoke Spanish. Obviously they spoke English for the most part and certainly did when they spoke to her, but when they talk to each other they prefer their native language :dunno: Think about if you and your family up and moved to France. You learned French but when your new French girlfriend comes over she finds you speaking to your parents in English-the language you are most accustomed and comfortable with.

When you're the outsider it does suck, but Spanish families tend to be very inviting. If you maybe learned some very basic Spanish and pulled it out they wouldn't laugh at you, they'd probably love it actually. Pick your "get togethers" wisely. Ask your gf who all is coming and try to gauge if it is remotely important to go or not, because obviously you don't need to be at every single function. Just a thought :)

Deborah

Seeing is believing, but I don't want to know.
Aug 21, 2008
Bleh, it would take me too long to explain. They're just very strange, awkward people.

First off, I'd lose it if my mom or his mom came over as often as yours does. I love my mom, but that's just way too much popping in for me.

About her family gatherings: my family is the same and it has always been problematic for the non-Hispanic people anyone dated :mamoru: When a huge grouping of the fam is together they mostly speak Spanish. It is frustrating when you don't speak the language and you feel left out, but more than likely they don't mean to make you feel that way. Most of the time they go in and out of Spanish so much that they don't even know they're doing it.

My uncle married a very Polish woman who eventually refused to go to any of our family gatherings because she thought it was rude everyone spoke Spanish. Obviously they spoke English for the most part and certainly did when they spoke to her, but when they talk to each other they prefer their native language :dunno: Think about if you and your family up and moved to France. You learned French but when your new French girlfriend comes over she finds you speaking to your parents in English-the language you are most accustomed and comfortable with.

When you're the outsider it does suck, but Spanish families tend to be very inviting. If you maybe learned some very basic Spanish and pulled it out they wouldn't laugh at you, they'd probably love it actually. Pick your "get togethers" wisely. Ask your gf who all is coming and try to gauge if it is remotely important to go or not, because obviously you don't need to be at every single function. Just a thought :)

I didn't know you are Hispanic.:eek3:

TS
TS
ww_Crimson

ww_Crimson

Sep 3, 2007
Bay Area

Yeah, plenty of truth in that statement. Had to basically kick my mom out a few times because I get sick of everyone being over here. I can speak some very basic spanish but I'm just not comfortable doing so. I'll usually pick up on what they're saying in Spanish and talk in English. I know the intent isn't to isolate me, it just so happens that way. But yea, going to be limiting my attendance to more important events, or small gatherings.

Figori

Taking BRC to the EXTREME. Bitch I operate.
OT Supporter
Jul 17, 2007
Somewhere near the Pentagon...
The beauty (and downfall) of the military. I live 3 hours away from both of our families (they are in the same town). We see them about once a month. Either going there or them coming here. I think that's just about perfect. Although, I have no issues with my in-laws, and my wife calls my mom and dad, mom and dad... So, yeah.

ForgottenSpiral

Hope and Irony
OT Supporter
Feb 2, 2004
NoVA
A couple times a week, maybe? Sometimes more, sometimes less. We live within walking distance so it's convenient and frankly would be awkward not to see her family. :rofl: We never see my family though, but partially because of distance. I wish my SO's brother lived in the area though because he's fucking hilarious. When he comes in town we just cut up the whole time. :rofl:

Users who are viewing this thread

About Us

• Please do not post anything that violates any Local, State, Federal or International Laws. Your privacy is protected. You have the right to be forgotten. Site funded by advertising, link monetization and member support.
OT v15.8.1 Copyright © 2000-2022 Offtopic.com
Served by fu.offtopic.com

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vitalesan