ART how to fake tilt shift effect? no photoshop

xenon supra

OT Supporter
Feb 3, 2005
San Diego, CA
I did a paper on a guy who did a lot of tilt shift stuff, and I need to imitate him for my final project.

I looked into renting a tilt shift or buying a lensbaby, but decided against both for the time being.

I was thinking I'd smear a small amount of Vaseline on the top and bottom so just the middle is sharp and the rest is sort of blurry/ OOF....

thoughts?

If anyone has any other ideas I'd love to hear them.

g33k

OT Supporter
Jan 15, 2005
that would just make the entire image hazy.

I say take the lens off and hold it in front of the camera... you'll lose infinity focus though

IntheWorks

windin film.. takin pics
Jun 30, 2001
earth
I say take the lens off and hold it in front of the camera... you'll lose infinity focus though

I think I remember hearing about tits doing that.

or you could do what I did and make a lensbaby using a plunger.

Jcolman

OT Supporter
Aug 19, 2002
dirty souf
whatever you do, don't put vasaline on your lens or filter. You'll have a hell of a time getting it off. Besides, it won't give you the results you want.

TS
TS
xenon supra

xenon supra

OT Supporter
Feb 3, 2005
San Diego, CA
that would just make the entire image hazy.

:rofl: i may try this

details? :x:

whatever you do, don't put vasaline on your lens or filter. You'll have a hell of a time getting it off. Besides, it won't give you the results you want.

i bought a cheapo $15 UV filter (77mm) from best buy. so i dont care if I ruin it.

( * )( * )

OT Supporter
Jul 17, 2002

Any updates on your plunger T/S? Have you used it much?

My solution is ghetto, but it works. Take the lens off your camera and shift it around until you get something in focus. It's hard to get it 100% of the time. Also, you have to make sure no light enters through the gaps when you are shifting around. I find 50mm and longer works best. Here are some examples:

2588121862_0be021270b_o.jpg

490936175_09090fa8ba_o.jpg

turbodude

Just a photographer
OT Supporter
Jun 17, 2002
Las Vegas
vasoline was an old school filter trick. you could also use clear nail polish and make a dedicated filter.

Users who are viewing this thread

About Us

• Please do not post anything that violates any Local, State, Federal or International Laws. Your privacy is protected. You have the right to be forgotten. Site funded by advertising, link monetization and member support.
OT v15.8.1 Copyright © 2000-2022 Offtopic.com
Served by fu.offtopic.com

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Theodor