how to run wires with no basement/attic access?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by oakback, Dec 29, 2009.

1. oakback

oakback New Member

I'd like to re-position our TV and surround sound speakers in our living room. Right now I've just got speaker wire stapled to the baseboards running around the room, and a few network cables laying on the floor for the xbox and Dish receiver, it's all ugly.

Where I'd like to place the TV, the satellite cable outlet is across the room, and speaker wire would have to cross 1 (possibly 2, depending) doorways.

Floor is hardwood. Below is a second living area, standard sheetrock ceiling down there. No attic above, it's a tall ceiling that is flat against the roof (if that makes sense), and the wall where the TV will be goes up to the level of the ceiling on the next floor up, it's very tall. There is a bedroom on the other side of the wall where the TV will be.

So, what are my options for running wires? Does it come down to running those plastic sheath things, or cutting holes in the walls in order to get things where I want them? What's the best way to get around a doorway?

The doorways in question have no frame.

2. kwhitelaw

kwhitelaw OT Supporter

gonna have to open the walls up..sometimes you'll find there will be room behind the studs to bring the wire along. in other areas, you may find "fire blocking", which are horizontal pieces of wood that you will have to drill a hole in.

no big deal. just try to place the holes you cut across the stud, so you can screw it back in to make it easier to patch.

3. oakback

oakback New Member

I just read about pulling the baseboard and sticking the wires under those. Baseboards are stained, not painted, so blemishes aren't obvious at all. Would that be a more viable option?

I still have to figure out how to get around the doorway, but patching 2 holes is a lot easier than patching 8 I suppose.

4. oakback

oakback New Member

It's not to scale or anything, but you get the idea. The brown is the trim, and the doorway (from foyer to living room) butts up against a wall. Would it be too weird looking to put wood trim around it? Not sure how to address that point.

[​IMG]

5. kwhitelaw

kwhitelaw OT Supporter

thats a hard one, not having the door frame come back down on the opposite side..they make this small white trim that you can brng up and around, but im not sure how you'd finish it off against that adjoining wall.

if it was my house, i'd cut the walls open. the end result will look so much better..

6. oakback

oakback New Member

I want that finished look, I'm just nervous about getting the plaster texture to look right, and the old paint to match.

7. oakback

oakback New Member

I think I worked out a plan that makes it so I don't have to go around the door frame, and solves some space issues.

I want to put the TV on one wall, but I think I'll leave the shelf with the receiver/xbox/dvd/etc. on another wall, and run the surround sound from there.

Is there anything wrong with having different length wires going to the speakers? For instance, a 4' wire to the left rear, and a 15' wire to the right rear.

8. kwhitelaw

kwhitelaw OT Supporter

no, there will be no difference.

9. STRACER1320

STRACER1320 In Front Of You On Any Stretch Of Asphalt

If you trim the opening....it will just look like a cased opening.......it will look find.........I do openings like that all of the time.

There is no actual door here correct? It is just an opening going to another room.

10. oakback

oakback New Member

Correct, but look at the pic in post #5, it's against a flat wall. Not sure how to trim that.