GUN How would a semi-auto shotgun fare if shit hit the fan?

JacksonWhite

Apr 11, 2011
4+1 Remington

Like if their was a war, would that be a sufficient means of defending ones self or are more guns neccesary?

tan koi

I'd rather have a rifle and sidearm chambered in common calibers (5.56 & 9mm)

TQ

Sep 20, 2002
Kansas City, MO
I'd rather have a rifle and sidearm chambered in common calibers (5.56 & 9mm)

Shotgun for close encounters

600px-Aliens_Ithaca2.jpg

XO

I'll bee your honey
OT Supporter
Oct 5, 2001
Not*Cal
i hear they ftf a lot and are picky on the types of ammo :o

except for the benelli

yar1182

Mar 26, 2008
Ventura California
In a home defense situation I want a shotgun. That is my preference as I have put the time in with them. I am more than competent with pistol rifle or shotgun but shotgun is my strongest platform.

pimpofthenation

OT Supporter
Aug 10, 2005
A2
For home defense... great. If you have to be mobile, I don't want to carry shotgun ammo. Too bulky. Range would be a weakness as well.

tan koi

Shit hits the fan = I need to hunt too. Shotgun is just so versatile.

.22lr conversion for an AR-15 for small game and .223 can be used to hunt deer and shit if you're careful. this takes away having to have another platform & you won't have to carry bulky shells.

GammaRadiation

Feb 15, 2007
Random Location.FL
Shit hits the fan = I need to hunt too. Shotgun is just so versatile.
Ammo weight is a good point. A shotty is a valuable asset in a team, but when it comes to modern warfare, shots down range and accuracy are king. For any warfare I ever possibly expect to be involved with, a good shot gun would still be fine. That's HD and guerilla ambush. :mamoru:

My 8+1 20" with buckshot and soda cans is fun under 25yds.

If I were expecting to go into battle, a SBR full auto/semi auto select with a lot of ammo would be my choice for indoor, full auto assault rifle and a lot of ammo for outdoor. Cover fire is the best cover.

Last edited:

apman0000

OT Supporter
Oct 18, 2005
shotguns are effective for much farther distances than 20 or 25 yards, absolutely not saying they are effective at the same distances as a rifle but if someone used a slug barrel and switched out the barrel for when they needed to hunt some foood they're effective range would be decentish, slugs with a slug barrel and practice and a shooty has a decent range of effectiveness, plenty of Deer have learned that lesson :)

Radicus

Jul 5, 2005
Free State
shotguns are effective for much farther distances than 20 or 25 yards, absolutely not saying they are effective at the same distances as a rifle but if someone used a slug barrel and switched out the barrel for when they needed to hunt some foood they're effective range would be decentish, slugs with a slug barrel and practice and a shooty has a decent range of effectiveness, plenty of Deer have learned that lesson :)

You don't need a slug barrel, just rifled slugs.

yar1182

Mar 26, 2008
Ventura California
I regularly shoot my shotgun out to 100 yards w/ slugs (smooth bore barrel, rifled slugs). I know my patterns with buckshot out to 50 yards.

I know this is the internet and stuff like this gets debated but it is the indian not the arrow. But I'll play.

Look at what happened in Egypt where all goverement broke down and citizens had to form their own neighborhood watch to protect themselves from criminals with vehicle checkpoints and everything. A slug will stop an engine block, and buckshot at social distances is as good as it gets.

apman0000

OT Supporter
Oct 18, 2005
You don't need a slug barrel, just rifled slugs.

everyone says that but i see a huge difference between the 2.

smooth bore with rifled slug always seems to carry a great deal at 100+ yards and the slug barrel gives me much better groups.

maybe i'm crazy, maybe i suck, but i've honestly seen a huge difference in how i do with the different barrel :dunno:

yar1182

Mar 26, 2008
Ventura California
A rifled slug barrel with modern sabot slugs can do 200 yards with fair accuracy. Of course you cannot/should not shoot bird or buck through a rifled barrel.

A smooth bore traditional shotgun barrel shoots bird, buck and rifled slugs. You can shoot sabots but it is a waste as the accuracy will be shit as they are undersized for said smooth bore barrel.

Shooting rifled slugs though a rifled barrel is dangerous. Although they say "rifled slugs" they are meant for smooth bore barrels, the slug itself is rifled which is where the misleading name comes from.

Shooting a rifled slug though a rifled barrel will quickly lead up and cause unsafe pressures. You will blow up the gun.

apman0000

OT Supporter
Oct 18, 2005
do people shoot rifled slugs thru a rifled barrel, i thought everyone knew that rifled slugs were to help with accuracy when fired through a smooth bore barrel

Users who are viewing this thread

About Us

• Please do not post anything that violates any Local, State, Federal or International Laws. Your privacy is protected. You have the right to be forgotten. Site funded by advertising, link monetization and member support.
OT v15.8.1 Copyright © 2000-2022 Offtopic.com
Served by fu.offtopic.com

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
btcdiana