https://www.reddit.com/r/ABoringDystopia/

TheEvil1

Hell is other people
OT Supporter
Jul 4, 2003
WNY
telling people to just stop using social media is asking them to go back to 1990s communication wise. you are cutting yourself off from a great deal of social interaction
i mean even without "social media" we would still have cellphones and direct messaging, so thats not really the same thing

ZeroDeeFeX

OT Supporter
Oct 9, 2002
Boulder, CO
Facebook/Meta certainly deserves blame, but Google/Alphabet deserve a tremendous share too, especially with regard to Android.

Fun fact: Google makes more on each iOS user than each Android user. If you think Android is about advertising and making you the product, you have a fundamental misunderstanding of the platform.

My old boss, a director (now VP) of product leading ecosystem in Android, spent weeks of his life in Dharavi and the slums of Delhi just to understand how we could make devices that were accessible to people at the bottom that would meaningfully improve their lives.

I get it, it's easy to assume the worst, but I co-opted the entirety of an android release worth of engineering time across the entire Android team to converge on Project Treble because it was the right thing for the 2 billion people who were using the OS at the time.

couchlock

digital nomad
OT Supporter
Apr 8, 2002
The Highway
Fun fact: Google makes more on each iOS user than each Android user. If you think Android is about advertising and making you the product, you have a fundamental misunderstanding of the platform.

My old boss, a director (now VP) of product leading ecosystem in Android, spent weeks of his life in Dharavi and the slums of Delhi just to understand how we could make devices that were accessible to people at the bottom that would meaningfully improve their lives.

I get it, it's easy to assume the worst, but I co-opted the entirety of an android release worth of engineering time across the entire Android team to converge on Project Treble because it was the right thing for the 2 billion people who were using the OS at the time.
nice try Sergey

Dazed1

OT Supporter
Dec 30, 2005
Bay area

Dharavi is a slum in Bombay 🤦‍♂️

FutureMan

On the rights of your wealth, I disagree
OT Supporter

Remy Bressant

40 big girls and a bottle
OT Supporter
Jul 24, 2015
SoCal
how about we just string em' up instead. leave the bodies hanging in front of the court house for a few days as a warning. liquidate all their family's assets and distribute to the victims.

Chirp08

OT Supporter
Jan 26, 2008

These aren't mutually exclusive things. They absolutely got into Android to make you the product and that is still the whole point. Once you have that success new opportunities emerge to do good while expanding your business, some companies embrace them, some don't (I'm looking at you Meta). The ideal is when you can employ a strategy that straddles both. Meaningfully improving their lives is a great purpose to rally behind, but the strategy is ultimately how do they embed yourself in an emerging market your competitors haven't even thought about yet so it makes it near impossible to pry them away in the future. It is a lot easier to get people to do things when they believe in them (like your boss) but don't for a second think they are doing anything other than taking a hit in the short term to pay dividends in the long term. There is nothing bad about that, but don't be naive and think it is being done "for good".

Nikuk

This simulation needs a reboot
OT Supporter
Jun 24, 2005
Buffalo, NY. Again.
OyCddTg.jpg

FutureMan

On the rights of your wealth, I disagree
OT Supporter

Users who are viewing this thread

About Us

• Please do not post anything that violates any Local, State, Federal or International Laws. Your privacy is protected. You have the right to be forgotten. Site funded by advertising, link monetization and member support.
OT v15.12.0 Copyright © 2000-2023 Offtopic.com
Served by fx.offtopic.com

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nancy Sherman