https://www.reddit.com/r/ABoringDystopia/

Actvs Dei

IG gunslingersaloon
OT Supporter
Apr 6, 2002
Austin
I don't understand why it's price gouging when gas stations charge too much during emergencies but hospitals (and Universities) can charge whatever they want with aplomb

Diesel66

OT Supporter
Feb 20, 2005
Kc
I don't understand why it's price gouging when gas stations charge too much during emergencies but hospitals (and Universities) can charge whatever they want with aplomb
You don't understand the difference between a set high price and a price that fluctuate?

• Dislike
Reactions: hypntyz

Actvs Dei

IG gunslingersaloon
OT Supporter
Apr 6, 2002
Austin
If all Gas stations decided to collectively charge 20 bucks a gallon the gov would have a meltdown about it

Last edited:

Nikuk

This simulation needs a reboot
OT Supporter
Jun 24, 2005
Buffalo, NY. Again.
#first world problems

xosatsauwe091.png

• Angry
Reactions: BlaXXXima

hypntyz

OT Supporter
Feb 9, 2004
east TN
You don't understand the difference between a set high price and a price that fluctuate?
That's just it...there is no "set price". IT all varies depending on where you go and who happens to write up your bill. You can even call the hospital, the doctor, and the insurance in advance and tell them exactly what will be done and ask for prices, be given prices, then have those prices changed or rescinded later "because reasons".

Diesel66

OT Supporter
Feb 20, 2005
Kc
That's just it...there is no "set price". IT all varies depending on where you go and who happens to write up your bill. You can even call the hospital, the doctor, and the insurance in advance and tell them exactly what will be done and ask for prices, be given prices, then have those prices changed or rescinded later "because reasons".
Most of that is based on your insurance. They only pay x%.

Then you need to pay your side of the bill which the hospital has no clue if to meet your deductible

hypntyz

OT Supporter
Feb 9, 2004
east TN
Most of that is based on your insurance. They only pay x%.

Then you need to pay your side of the bill which the hospital has no clue if to meet your deductible
Just as often it's based on the competence of the office writing up the billing codes and submitting them to insurance for payment.

dorkultra

OT Supporter
Oct 14, 2005
nilbog, trollhio
to be fair, they charged her $40 to cry with a doctor present. if she wants to cry at home without one, that's free

i have a far more visceral reaction to hospitals charging new parents to hold their babies. i know it takes time and effort to prep a baby for that but when you're already paying $13k for a c-section, surely you can throw that in for free

ZSXMVAGGEMI6TCHRIBWI6S7HAY.jpg
it's amazing to see that much detail in medical billing. usually it's like "inpatient visit" and "hospital services" and you have to make a request for the details

when my daughter was born, one of the nurses came did our discharge, basically read a few things from a paper and took a phone call for someone else. got billed $65, called to say nope and they took it off the bill

thumpr

someone you trust is one of us
OT Supporter
Jul 16, 2004
大阪, 日本
it's amazing to see that much detail in medical billing. usually it's like "inpatient visit" and "hospital services" and you have to make a request for the details

when my daughter was born, one of the nurses came did our discharge, basically read a few things from a paper and took a phone call for someone else. got billed $65, called to say nope and they took it off the bill

there's just some industries that i think shouldn't be privatized or should have crushing oversight to prevent commercial entities prioritizing profits. the goal of the healthcare industry should be to provide maximum benefit to the public, not to provide maximum profit to shareholders. i know i know, get off my commie lawn and all that

sans_pants

I don't want any damn vegetables
May 2, 2002
there's just some industries that i think shouldn't be privatized or should have crushing oversight to prevent commercial entities prioritizing profits. the goal of the healthcare industry should be to provide maximum benefit to the public, not to provide maximum profit to shareholders. i know i know, get off my commie lawn and all that

too obviously good

Uncle Phil

OT Supporter
Nov 15, 2003
Bay Area, CA
You have to have a baby once it's conceived, but fuck you if you can't feed it.

Sounds about right.

People need to realize religious conservative nuts are pro-birth, nothing more. They couldn't care less what happens to newborns brought into awful destitute living situations.

• Dislike
Reactions: remmy

Users who are viewing this thread

About Us

• Please do not post anything that violates any Local, State, Federal or International Laws. Your privacy is protected. You have the right to be forgotten. Site funded by advertising, link monetization and member support.
OT v15.12.0 Copyright © 2000-2023 Offtopic.com
Served by fx.offtopic.com

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nancy Sherman