OT Supporter
Jan 12, 2002
:wisconsin:
  • Wow
Reactions: Tesla Death Ray

PanzerAce

OT Supporter
Feb 25, 2006
Idk if dystopia or not but certainly something .....

I mean, done right an arcology makes total sense. High population density and being inside means that mass transit is easy and can be 100% electric.

Nikuk

This simulation needs a reboot
OT Supporter
Jun 24, 2005
Buffalo, NY. Again.
Then you get diagnosed with cancer and that $100m will run out quickly.
Nah, real talk: setup a 10m trust for a with an annuity-like payout schedule for a few youngins, and then whirlwind travel with a team of hookers and a pile of blow till my aorta blows out. None of this shit matters anyways.

Nikuk

This simulation needs a reboot
OT Supporter
Jun 24, 2005
Buffalo, NY. Again.
Almost like it's over priced... And costs are out of control.
I'll have to try to find it again, but there's a world bank chart out there that shows health spending per capita vs life expectancy and while the US is the largest spender BY FAR, we are like 5 years expectancy behind the next priciest places (Norway, etc).

• Clown
Reactions: Bloke

Rev. Johnny Vegas

The Decline of Western Civilization
Jun 13, 2001
Idk if dystopia or not but certainly something .....

But how's the rest of NEOM going? :hmm: :hmm: :hmm:

If MBS has a mission beyond extending his power, you might expect to find it in Neom, the city he promised to build in the desert. Neom would be nothing less than “a civilisational leap for humanity”, he said in 2017. Head-spinning details followed. The city’s food would be grown on hydroponic walls on a floating structure. It would be powered by the world’s largest green-hydrogen plant. Thousands of snow-blowers would create a ski resort on a nearby mountain. One day it would have driverless cars and passenger drones.

According to the official timetable, the main city would be completed by 2020. Further districts would be added by 2025. The prince’s tourism minister, Ahmed al-Khateeb, dismissed rumours that the timetable was proving over-ambitious. “Come see with your eyes and not with your ears,” he urged. So I went.

Finding Neom was the first problem. There were no road signs to it. After three hours’ drive we came to the spot indicated by the map. It was bare, but for the odd fig tree. Camels strolled across the empty highway. Piles of rubble lined the road, remnants of the town bulldozed to make way for the mighty metropolis.

The designated area is nearly the size of Belgium. As far as I could tell, only two projects had been completed, MBS's palace, and something Google Earth calls “The Neom Experience Centre” (when I drove to see it, it was obscured by a prefabricated hut). The only other solid building I could see was a hotel constructed before Neom was conceived: the Royal Tulip. A poster in the lobby urged me to “Discover Neom”. But when I asked for a guide the hotel manager cursed my sister with Arabic vulgarities and tried to shoo me away. There was no sign of the media hub with “frictionless facilitation”, “advanced infrastructure” and “collaborative ecosystems” promised by the Neom website. Neom’s head of communications and media, Wayne Borg, said he was “out of Kingdom at present”.

The hotel restaurant was teeming with consultants – all the ones I met were foreign. (I later found a Saudi project manager. “We think we’re about to start working, but every two months the consultants coin a new plan,” he told me. “They’re still doing plans of plans.”) There was a kind of manic short-termism among these foreigners. Many were paid $40,000 a month, plus handsome bonuses. “It’s like riding a bull,” one of the Neom consultants told me. “You know you’re gonna fall, that no one can last on a bull longer than a minute and a half, two minutes, so you make the most of it.”

Despite the high salaries, there are reports that foreigners are leaving the Neom project because they find the gap between expectations and reality so stressful. The head of Neom is said by his friends to be “terrified” at the lack of progress.

Eventually, I found a retired Saudi air-force technician who offered to drive me around the city for $600. He took me to a sculpture standing in the desert with the words, “I ❤ Neom”. A short way farther on we found a new stretch of tarmac, said to mark the edge of the dream city. Beyond it, the lone and level sands stretched far away.

So yeah, umm, not well. :bowrofl: :bowrofl: :bowrofl:

alex

RIP OT Yard Sale
OT Supporter
Oct 11, 2005
Orange County, NY
Then you get diagnosed with cancer and that $100m will run out quickly.
by law, no health insurance on marketplace can have an out-of-pocket maximum more than a $8,700 for an individual and $17,400 for a family.

and those are on literally the worst plans legally allowed under law. so once you pay the 17,400th dollar, everything else (not including premiums) costs you absolutely nothing.

and health insurances can't refuse to cover you so you just sign up, pay your premiums, hit your out of pocket max and let them foot the bill.

ghost.prawn

OT Supporter
May 11, 2006
by law, no health insurance on marketplace can have an out-of-pocket maximum more than a $8,700 for an individual and $17,400 for a family.

and those are on literally the worst plans legally allowed under law. so once you pay the 17,400th dollar, everything else (not including premiums) costs you absolutely nothing.

and health insurances can't refuse to cover you so you just sign up, pay your premiums, hit your out of pocket max and let them foot the bill.
6e41dcda266f44a00b50bea58e945b99

Users who are viewing this thread

About Us

• Please do not post anything that violates any Local, State, Federal or International Laws. Your privacy is protected. You have the right to be forgotten. Site funded by advertising, link monetization and member support.
OT v15.12.0 Copyright © 2000-2023 Offtopic.com
Served by fx.offtopic.com

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nancy Sherman