https://www.reddit.com/r/ABoringDystopia/

kitty

Uppity ass cat-changing name from kitty to Karen
OT Supporter
Jul 23, 2004
Purgatory
Should reword that to Slaves instead of "Prison labor"
I got into a fight with an OTer about American prison labor being like slave labor/Chinese labor camps. Can't remember who it was but they had, "I know more than vibe" while generally being wrong. I still think about that.

Has the chick fil a offering a volunteer opportunity for people that want to stand outside in the heat and take orders been posted??

Last edited:

Janson

OT Supporter
Mar 13, 2003
Davidson, NC
I got into a fight with an OTer about American prison labor being like slave labor/Chinese labor camps. Can't remember who it was but they had, "I know more than vibe" while generally being wrong. I still think about that.

Has the chick fil a offering a volunteer opportunity for people that want to stand outside in the heat and take orders been posted??
its easier to pretend America isn't a shithole than to just face reality.

couchlock

digital nomad
OT Supporter
Apr 8, 2002
The Highway
by law, no health insurance on marketplace can have an out-of-pocket maximum more than a $8,700 for an individual and $17,400 for a family.

and those are on literally the worst plans legally allowed under law. so once you pay the 17,400th dollar, everything else (not including premiums) costs you absolutely nothing.

and health insurances can't refuse to cover you so you just sign up, pay your premiums, hit your out of pocket max and let them foot the bill.
*laughs in “out of network” services*

Reactions: Nikuk

couchlock

digital nomad
OT Supporter
Apr 8, 2002
The Highway
This. There's no out of pocket max ceiling for 'out of network.' It's pretty bad.
And on a bootleg bottom tier plan you can bet your ass that majority of what you need is out of network

Source: my dads huge pile of medical bills from having a stroke a few years ago on entry level plan

Reactions: AndyP

CitznFish

Don't live life by a single sentence
OT Supporter
Jun 12, 2002
SoCal
I'll have to try to find it again, but there's a world bank chart out there that shows health spending per capita vs life expectancy and while the US is the largest spender BY FAR, we are like 5 years expectancy behind the next priciest places (Norway, etc).
Honestly, I think this has more to do with diet.

Ron

OT Supporter
Sep 21, 2003
by law, no health insurance on marketplace can have an out-of-pocket maximum more than a $8,700 for an individual and $17,400 for a family.

and those are on literally the worst plans legally allowed under law. so once you pay the 17,400th dollar, everything else (not including premiums) costs you absolutely nothing.

and health insurances can't refuse to cover you so you just sign up, pay your premiums, hit your out of pocket max and let them foot the bill.
Until the next year when your deductible gets reset

Reactions: Good Ol' Gil

Devastator

OT Supporter
Jul 11, 2009
NYC
its easier to pretend America isn't a shithole than to just face reality.
740ed27c-76ed-4108-a82a-ea78af84886a_text.gif

TheProwler

OT Supporter
Aug 18, 2002
We would move up that chart even with our shitty diet if people could willingly go to the doctor because it didn't cost a goddamn much
for most people, going to the doctor does not extend your life expectancy much. and I say that as a doctor. The most meaningful things are clean air, water and food, vaccines, seat belts, education, social support for children/families, low crime, etc. Other than vaccines on that list, medical interventions don't make much of a dent.

TheEvil1

Hell is other people
OT Supporter
Jul 4, 2003
WNY
for most people, going to the doctor does not extend your life expectancy much. and I say that as a doctor. The most meaningful things are clean air, water and food, vaccines, seat belts, education, social support for children/families, low crime, etc. Other than vaccines on that list, medical interventions don't make much of a dent.

fair enough, but routine screenings and fam history of things would help the preventative side via earlier detection and whatnot

Actvs Dei

IG gunslingersaloon
OT Supporter
Apr 6, 2002
Austin

I don't go to the doctor much but I go to dentist religiously twice a year.

TheProwler

OT Supporter
Aug 18, 2002
fair enough, but routine screenings and fam history of things would help the preventative side via earlier detection and whatnot
Screening is worth it, and I'll absolutely do it. But it would be a lot less necessary if people had completely healthy lifestyles in the first place. Colon/breast/uterine cancer are all on the rise because of obesity.

I don't go to the doctor much but I go to dentist religiously twice a year.
Same :rofl: I don't go to a doctor regularly either. The dentist would be much less necessary if we ate a diet like they did 1000+ years ago though. Processed sugars are the downfall of our teeth.

Reactions: Actvs Dei

Actvs Dei

IG gunslingersaloon
OT Supporter
Apr 6, 2002
Austin
Screening is worth it, and I'll absolutely do it. But it would be a lot less necessary if people had completely healthy lifestyles in the first place. Colon/breast/uterine cancer are all on the rise because of obesity.

Same :rofl: I don't go to a doctor regularly either. The dentist would be much less necessary if we ate a diet like they did 1000+ years ago though. Processed sugars are the downfall of our teeth.

Werd.

Users who are viewing this thread

About Us

• Please do not post anything that violates any Local, State, Federal or International Laws. Your privacy is protected. You have the right to be forgotten. Site funded by advertising, link monetization and member support.
OT v15.12.0 Copyright © 2000-2023 Offtopic.com
Served by fx.offtopic.com

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nancy Sherman