https://www.reddit.com/r/ABoringDystopia/

ZeroDeeFeX

OT Supporter
Oct 9, 2002
Boulder, CO
View attachment 247129

Kinda like how Google's acquisition of Fitbit had nothing to do with improving your health.

In the case of Amazon, it's a deeper thing: the metaverse push is about using dense and sparse mapping of the exterior world and the interior of your house in order to build an ads platform with context about EVERYTHING. If you can map, track, localize and ID everything in a space, you can serve up increasingly more contextually relevant ads. This is what computer vision + deep learning enable together: the next huge shift in computing paradigm. Instead of needing to even know what to search for, your devices can provide you with answers to questions you didn't even think to ask.

This is the play John Hanke was making with Niantic. It's just a repeat of Google Maps but with the added bonus of computer vision . His master plan is clearly to sell Niantic to a FAANG one day to power the next wave of computing which just happens to correlate to a huge dataset that enables contextually placing relevant ads in the real world. The Roomba play + echo products + more all add up to this but for the interior of your home rather than the external world.

I used to work with the former CTO of Lab126 and I remember a story he told of an echo that was always listening and offered up helpful, contextual information at random. It creeped out all the fucking employees testing it and never even made it past the internal testing stage. They've become way more sophisticated since then (I worked with a bunch of ex-lab126 people in a skunkworks at Google in ~2015) but it's always been at the forefront of my mind that none of these companies give a fuck about anything other than the building the next trillion dollar ad platform.

daze

Supreme Member
OT Supporter
Dec 19, 2003
Alief, Texas
In the case of Amazon, it's a deeper thing: the metaverse push is about using dense and sparse mapping of the exterior world and the interior of your house in order to build an ads platform with context about EVERYTHING. If you can map, track, localize and ID everything in a space, you can serve up increasingly more contextually relevant ads. This is what computer vision + deep learning enable together: the next huge shift in computing paradigm. Instead of needing to even know what to search for, your devices can provide you with answers to questions you didn't even think to ask.

This is the play John Hanke was making with Niantic. It's just a repeat of Google Maps but with the added bonus of computer vision . His master plan is clearly to sell Niantic to a FAANG one day to power the next wave of computing which just happens to correlate to a huge dataset that enables contextually placing relevant ads in the real world. The Roomba play + echo products + more all add up to this but for the interior of your home rather than the external world.

I used to work with the former CTO of Lab126 and I remember a story he told of an echo that was always listening and offered up helpful, contextual information at random. It creeped out all the fucking employees testing it and never even made it past the internal testing stage. They've become way more sophisticated since then (I worked with a bunch of ex-lab126 people in a skunkworks at Google in ~2015) but it's always been at the forefront of my mind that none of these companies give a fuck about anything other than the building the next trillion dollar ad platform.
That’s why they call this the information age. We are the product.

Reactions: Cicada

obscure/renegade

Don't mind me.
OT Supporter
Oct 5, 2004
Georgia
I'm gonna slap the next mother fucker that says metaverse.
giphy.gif

Rev. Johnny Vegas

The Decline of Western Civilization
Jun 13, 2001
uhhh no shit

i don't have a single smart home device, likely never will. ill resist being a product for as long as i can
If you're describing iRobot products as smart, you have a very, very broad definition of smart. The last Roomba I owned would obsessively clean under a bed and never do much of anything else.

• Haha
Reactions: Nikuk

onyourchin

Aug 31, 2007
SF
It's a dumbass term but... we're stuck with it.

FWIW, I think we do need some easy way to indicate "you will interact with a blend of real and virtual objects and experiences in the same context and it's also a giant fucking advertising engine" but the term grates for me as well.
I think that's just referred to as AR, no? Reality superimposed by a software layer that you see when you wear your AR glasses/contacts etc

Whereas the metaverse is more of a VR layer that's 100% software based and pulls in some visuals from real-life videocapture

ZeroDeeFeX

OT Supporter
Oct 9, 2002
Boulder, CO
I think that's just referred to as AR, no? Reality superimposed by a software layer that you see when you wear your AR glasses/contacts etc

Whereas the metaverse is more of a VR layer that's 100% software based and pulls in some visuals from real-life videocapture

No. The distinctions are immaterial. Even in pure VR, you need a computer vision driven understanding of your environment.

onyourchin

Aug 31, 2007
SF
No. The distinctions are immaterial. Even in pure VR, you need a computer vision driven understanding of your environment.
As far as advertising capabilities yea it doesn't matter what the medium is. I was just focusing on the 2 terms and how the ux/content can be different

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

About Us

• Please do not post anything that violates any Local, State, Federal or International Laws. Your privacy is protected. You have the right to be forgotten. Site funded by advertising, link monetization and member support.
OT v15.12.0 Copyright © 2000-2023 Offtopic.com
Served by fx.offtopic.com

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nancy Sherman