LOVE I get cold sores but my girlfriend doesn't. WTF!

Acciaio

Mar 12, 2010
Seattle
Nothing is more fucking annoying than a cold sore and I get them every two months or so. I've tried everything otc I read online as well as tea tree oil and other home remedies. UGH :ugh2:

The thing is though; I had to have gotten it from her as she is the only chick I've made out with/ had sex with. But she had like 5 boyfriends before she met me. It's not like you can just randomly pick it up somehow. I don't go around licking public toilet seats or anything.

So how can I get them and she doesn't? Fucking sucks.

OT Supporter
Dec 27, 2007
FL
I don't really know much about cold sores but I assume the virus must be dormant for her. Also, it may have been dormant in you for a long time and you could have picked it up as a child sharing a drink or something.

I've never had a cold sore but I get canker sores often. Not sure what's worse!

TS
TS

Acciaio

Mar 12, 2010
Seattle
I don't really know much about cold sores but I assume the virus must be dormant for her. Also, it may have been dormant in you for a long time and you could have picked it up as a child sharing a drink or something.

I've never had a cold sore but I get canker sores often. Not sure what's worse!

Wow..... I didn't know you could just pick it up from sharing a drink. If I knew that back then, I would have been more careful.

OT Supporter
Dec 27, 2007
FL
Wow..... I didn't know you could just pick it up from sharing a drink. If I knew that back then, I would have been more careful.

Not positive but I believe I've read that. It's probably less likely. Isn't this something you can google? lol

Anyway, I think 90% of the population carries it. It's kinda hard to avoid.

Aquakittie

Feb 5, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
wikipedia said:
HSV-1 is usually acquired orally during childhood, but may also be sexually transmitted. HSV-2 is primarily a sexually transmitted infection but rates of HSV-1 genital infections are increasing.

You could literally have gotten it from getting a kiss from Aunt Sara when you were 7 and its been dormant in your body until some stresser triggered it later in life. Its really hard to tell for sure where you've acquired a viral infection like HSV1 and HSV2. And they can both be present in either area although not as common as its home site.

Or your GF could have transmitted it to you afterall via asymptomatic shedding but she just doesn't have the same reaction to it. She could have active viral outbreaks but nothing shows up.

Regardless, you have it. I'd be on the safe side and check which strain it is. Just be careful, HSV can be auto-transmitted. Meaning, if you touch your infected mouth sore and say, grab your dick to pee, you can transfer the infection to your genitals. Not super common but it CAN happen.

Since you get OBs so frequently I'd consider taking an daily oral med like valtrex or similar derivative. There are a few on the market that help reduce/eliminate symptomatic and asymptomatic outbreaks.

Arkaybee

Jul 9, 2008
This is the place
Have you asked her if she gets cold sores?

Maybe you picked it up as a kid sharing a drink with someone then gave it to her. The virus is probably dormant in her now but she'll break out eventually.

She's gonna be pissed when she finds out :rofl:

Diesel66

OT Supporter
Feb 20, 2005
Kc
more likely got it from some relative kissing you or whatever. But yeah most people have the virus, it's just their immune system is strong enough to prevent the virus from having an outbreak. Unless they are sick, hence cold sores.

Falconer

Jun 23, 2006

:werd:

One of my guy friends gets cold sores from time to time. I don't share drinks with him.

I think some people can be asymptomatic, too.

MissKitty

If squats were easy they'd be called 'Your Mum'
OT Supporter
Jun 21, 2004
Dingoland
Just because she is the only chick you have made out with doesn't mean she gave it to you.

I have friends who have been together for like 12 years. He gets them, she doesn't. :dunno:

As people have said, some people have the virus and never get an outbreak. It's something like 85% of people.

peoplescar

Nothing is more fucking annoying than a cold sore and I get them every two months or so. I've tried everything otc I read online as well as tea tree oil and other home remedies. UGH :ugh2:

The thing is though; I had to have gotten it from her as she is the only chick I've made out with/ had sex with. But she had like 5 boyfriends before she met me. It's not like you can just randomly pick it up somehow. I don't go around licking public toilet seats or anything.

So how can I get them and she doesn't? Fucking sucks.

dude i used to get these when i was like 8 years old.

its likely i picked it up from my family at a young age. grandma, mom, etc...

and just because you have the capability to get them doesn't mean you will. I used to get them all the fucking time when i was a kid and through early highschool. I really dont get them much at all now. once every couple months maybe.

Actvs Dei

IG gunslingersaloon
OT Supporter
Apr 6, 2002
Austin
Take 1000mg lysine everyday. It will reduce the number of outbreaks you have. and when you get one take 2000mg 3 times a day. It works wonders.

Ep

Just remember you can't asymptomatically shed until you've had an initial outbreak. Ask her

Ep

you mean she? Sure I guess so. There are tests to see if you have hsv-1. have to ask for it specifically though.

Aquakittie

Feb 5, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
you mean she? Sure I guess so. There are tests to see if you have hsv-1. have to ask for it specifically though.
no, I mean HE. TS is a male right? He coulda had the initial OB as a child and just didn't know what it was and he could be a repetitious asymptomatic shedder from the get-go.

I mean I thought I had one cold sore as a little kid and just assumed I was pos for HSV1 all this time, but turns out, whatever I had as a kid was NOT oral HSV. It was likely just a clogged pore near my lip, a bug bite, etc. Now take my daughter for instance, she gets coldsores and used to get them a lot more frequently...but she didn't get the virus from me, since I don't have HSV1. She likely got it from some relative or shared drink. Pretty common transmission in children.

TS
TS

Acciaio

Mar 12, 2010
Seattle
What is SA? Social Anxiety?

Yeah.

dude i used to get these when i was like 8 years old.

its likely i picked it up from my family at a young age. grandma, mom, etc...

and just because you have the capability to get them doesn't mean you will. I used to get them all the fucking time when i was a kid and through early highschool. I really dont get them much at all now. once every couple months maybe.

Weird. The first one I got was around 18. It would be nice if I could just get an injection of something to make it go away.

Take 1000mg lysine everyday. It will reduce the number of outbreaks you have. and when you get one take 2000mg 3 times a day. It works wonders.

Thanks, I'll grab some the next time I'm out. :bigthumb:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

About Us

• Please do not post anything that violates any Local, State, Federal or International Laws. Your privacy is protected. You have the right to be forgotten. Site funded by advertising, link monetization and member support.
OT v15.8.1 Copyright © 2000-2022 Offtopic.com
Served by fu.offtopic.com

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Anthony 74