SRS I Got a Job Offer and I don't know what to do

maxgohan

OT Supporter
May 1, 2004
Toronto
I'm going to be graduating in April. I went to an interview two weeks ago, and I just received the offer today. The job is definitely not something I want to do for the rest of my life, but the pay is pretty good ($50,000CDN/annually) considering how shitty the job market is right now. It would help me pay off my student loans ($45, 000 CDN), which would be awesome.

BUT I want to do graduate school, my Masters in Social Work, which is about three years, but if I did do it my student loans would hit around $70, 000 CDN.

Should I just take the job, pay off all my loans and save up for grad school then do it? Or should I just fuck the job, do my Masters and get a job in Social Work that will probably pay about $60,000/annually after graduating.

The issue if I take the job is that I will probably hate my life for four or five years, push my dreams back, and then there is still the potential that I'll get used to the money and never leave to do grad school.

The issue if I do grad school is, the lack of money, my parents are getting antsy about my finishing school because I owe them some money too (but they are still supportive) and I'll be about 26 before I get a real full time job, which is pretty fail. fml

Halp :hsd:

BlazinBlazer Guy

Witness to The De-Evolution of Mankind.
Jul 24, 2002
Lansing, MI USA
Taking a job you hate is never worth it, regardless of the money. Been there, done that, wouldn't do it again nor would I wish it on anyone else.

MPogg

Dec 27, 2010
Taking a job you hate is never worth it, regardless of the money. Been there, done that, wouldn't do it again nor would I wish it on anyone else.

I agree with this. If you can already tell that you will hate the job then don't do it. Finish school and get the job that you will enjoy doing everyday.

Good Luck!!

zolonel

Nov 20, 2003
would you really hate the job or just kinda not like it?

if you would really hate your job you will probably quit or perform badly and possibly be let go/treated like shit.

i do understand the money part, debt is a bad feeling and pressure from parents sucks even if they're supportive it sucks.

with your masters in social work would you be able to get a job easily? i know people hate this question but right now what's the job market looking like with the degree you plan on getting?

Coottie

BOOMER......SOONER
OT Supporter
Jun 6, 2006
OKC
Why are you locked into this job for 4-5 years? Do you have to sign some sort of contract? Is it a 2 sided contract meaning they guarantee your job for 4-5 years and you agree to work there or is this a one sided contract where you agree to work there and they agree to let you work there?

Seriously.....I've had similar issues come up in my life.

Here's the thing you will hate doing this work for the rest of your life....OK....but what about for the next year or two? The rest of your life is too long to contemplate and doesn't get you to an answer that makes any sense because VERY FEW people know what they want to do for the rest of their life.....even if they say they do.

I've found that I can pretty much work in any job for 6 months...even a job I hate....some shitty jobs for 1 year and even some less than ideal jobs for more than a year. But even a job I love will get old in 4-5 years unless there is dynamic change involved.....I know this about myself but everyone is different.

So my advice is to take the job and pay down debt with the full knowledge that you will begin grad school at some point. The job market may rebound or it may collapse even more.....no one knows for sure and it's better to be safe than sorry.

There's always time to return to school....nights and weekends can be an excellent start and you may have to quit working to go a year full time to get those credits that aren't offered at night but you can do this.

Never let anyone convince you that you can't do a job....even one you hate. You find ways to deal with it until something better comes along.

Tevin

Sep 11, 2010
I'm wondering why you applied and interviewed for a job you don't seem to want.

Why not take the job and go to graduate school part time? You already owe a lot of money. You can't just keep living off student loans and your parents because your big degree and sweet deal hasn't come along yet.

My vote is to suck it up...take the shitty job and pay off your bills. Then go to grad school on your own dime. At some point you have to be a grown up and understand that you can't have everything. If you want it that bad you will find a way to make it work.

Good luck!
:wavey:

Legend Zero

OT Supporter
Jan 14, 2005
As someone who works with those that have earned a M.S.W...take the job! Although there are plenty of young social workers, those that don't experience burn out are usually older..likewise, the older you are, the more likely you will be comfertable with making relationships and thus, being able to be a more helpful social worker.

and lastly, i'm sure things are quite different up north but m.s.w's don't get paid nearly what you stated starting (and i live in a good market for m.s.w.).

TS
TS

maxgohan

OT Supporter
May 1, 2004
Toronto
would you really hate the job or just kinda not like it?

if you would really hate your job you will probably quit or perform badly and possibly be let go/treated like shit.

i do understand the money part, debt is a bad feeling and pressure from parents sucks even if they're supportive it sucks.

with your masters in social work would you be able to get a job easily? i know people hate this question but right now what's the job market looking like with the degree you plan on getting?
I will be able to get a job very quickly, at least 6 months after graduation for sure, especially since I'm a woman and a visible minority. They need more of these sort of social workers in the Toronto area.

TS
TS

maxgohan

OT Supporter
May 1, 2004
Toronto
As someone who works with those that have earned a M.S.W...take the job! Although there are plenty of young social workers, those that don't experience burn out are usually older..likewise, the older you are, the more likely you will be comfertable with making relationships and thus, being able to be a more helpful social worker.

and lastly, i'm sure things are quite different up north but m.s.w's don't get paid nearly what you stated starting (and i live in a good market for m.s.w.).
It's really good to hear from someone with the degree too, thanks. Yeah I'm not all that sure about the pay, but 60 is what I have been told, I also checked out a survey on the 2009 graduates for the University I want to go to, and this is the information they offered - or something like it. But either way, even if the pay was significantly less, like 40, I would still be content I think.

http://www.wlu.ca/documents/43889/2010MSW_CLASS_of_2009.pdf

TS
TS

maxgohan

OT Supporter
May 1, 2004
Toronto
I'm wondering why you applied and interviewed for a job you don't seem to want.

Why not take the job and go to graduate school part time? You already owe a lot of money. You can't just keep living off student loans and your parents because your big degree and sweet deal hasn't come along yet.

My vote is to suck it up...take the shitty job and pay off your bills. Then go to grad school on your own dime. At some point you have to be a grown up and understand that you can't have everything. If you want it that bad you will find a way to make it work.

Good luck!
:wavey:
I think it's because originally I was planning on going to work and doing school at the same time... but now I am not so sure :( mostly because I will be so behind in terms of school and I'm only getting older.

JohnQPoster

Nov 12, 2010
Depends on how bad the job would really be.

Is it factory work, on your feet all day, lots of driving, sitting in a boring office typing away mindlessly while staring into a computer, clubbing seals?

The other posters had some good points on both sides of this coin. In order to provide more insight I believe that it would be necessary to know more about the job that is being offered here.

TS
TS

maxgohan

OT Supporter
May 1, 2004
Toronto
Depends on how bad the job would really be.

Is it factory work, on your feet all day, lots of driving, sitting in a boring office typing away mindlessly while staring into a computer, clubbing seals?

The other posters had some good points on both sides of this coin. In order to provide more insight I believe that it would be necessary to know more about the job that is being offered here.
lol surprisingly you're the first one to have asked this question. It's a job in an office, basically having my own cubical, not a lot of walking around, mostly reading, probably not much communication with anyone after the 6 months worth of training is complete, and after the training is done I think I get a pay increase. It's in the core of downtown Toronto, which I guess is one of the major cities in Canada, sort of like NYC? I don't have to sell anything, I just have to implement policy. That's basically what I know so far...

Users who are viewing this thread

About Us

• Please do not post anything that violates any Local, State, Federal or International Laws. Your privacy is protected. You have the right to be forgotten. Site funded by advertising, link monetization and member support.
OT v15.8.1 Copyright © 2000-2022 Offtopic.com
Served by fu.offtopic.com

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vitalesan