I had a door installed in my house. Come critique.

Rusty Shackleford

luey its time for your anal pills
OT Supporter
Dec 2, 2006
St. Louis
I moved into my house in September and one thing has been driving me crazy. The previous owners added a huge attached garage but didn't install an interior door to get into the garage without walking outside. :shrug: I had the garage finished but ran into the issue that the door jamb is 9" wide. I got a quote for a custom door for $2000 so I got someone who knew what they were doing to make an off the shelf door fit. They mostly finished up on Friday but are stopping back by today to finish up the final touches on the trim/paint.

Before.

IMG_2302.JPEG

During

IMG_2303.JPEG

We knew there was a drop down into the living room from the garage but hard to gauge exactly the drop until the hole was cut. I wanted a small landing so you don't trip coming into the house with hands full of groceries. I was going to use leftover flooring but it turns out the previous owners only left us with 1 piece of laminate. I took that piece with me to Lowe's and picked out some tile that I hoped would look good.

63348665174__09DE8B5E-6CC5-4EFE-8EB5-836BA96DD955.JPEG

Garage view. I guess I don't have a newer pic, the matching trim is up and just need to paint the jamb extenders.

IMG_2304.JPG

Fin. They were running late Friday night and knew we had a baby shower Saturday morning so got things presentable for us. Should be all wrapped up when I get home today. I loved the door but part of me regrets the windows into the garage. When the lights are on in the garage I definitely need some tint on the glass to make it less obvious. The door isn't fire rated and I think with the step down from the garage it will never pass inspection but I hope to live in this house for 30 years so it doesn't bother me.

IMG_2328.JPEG

Last edited:

Formz

vr6dub can't cook chicken
Mar 13, 2003
🤠 .... 🐄 🏳️‍🌈
That's what I stated in my post.
I uh...

giphy.gif

MassMan

Aug 26, 2004
Somerville, MA
Looks fine to me. If your accepting feedback on other things I hate your floors. If it makes you feel any better I hate my first floor floors as well

TS
TS
Rusty Shackleford

Rusty Shackleford

luey its time for your anal pills
OT Supporter
Dec 2, 2006
St. Louis
Are those self-closing hinges? If not, they should be.

They are not, I need to find out about those.

Here's a photo of the outside. Older house that has been added onto so it's not like I had many options. You don't know how annoying it is walking outside in the cold shitty weather just to grab a screwdriver out of the toolbox.

1612196870909.png

Capt. Hammer

Purveyor of Bespoke Photoshop ROFLs and LOLs
OT Supporter
Jun 14, 2003
The Lone Star State
They are not, I need to find out about those.

Here's a photo of the outside. Older house that has been added onto so it's not like I had many options. You don't know how annoying it is walking outside in the cold shitty weather just to grab a screwdriver out of the toolbox.

View attachment 99805

Yeah, you need to swap those out and consider getting a fire rated door asap

• Wow
Reactions: Rusty Shackleford

atxmike

This is my custom title
OT Supporter
Nov 28, 2007
Bay Area, CA
Should not have done glass but you can get film that tents it / distorts the view.
Could have been level with the floor with ~3 more hours of effort.

Is there no other room you could have put an entrance from garage to house? Mine comes in behind my kitchen. I would want garage to house access so if the living room was my only option I'd consider it hard.

Users who are viewing this thread

About Us

• Please do not post anything that violates any Local, State, Federal or International Laws. Your privacy is protected. You have the right to be forgotten. Site funded by advertising, link monetization and member support.
OT v15.11.2 Copyright © 2000-2022 Offtopic.com
Served by fx.offtopic.com

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thetongue