EDU I have been studying Modern Standard Arabic and Modern Hebrew for sixteen years now and I only know one phrase in Arabic and can only speak Hebrew...

Cyan Connect

It is the unknown that defines our existence.
OT Supporter
Mar 3, 2005
for like three sentences and that's it. What am I doing wrong?

I have all 3 levels of Hebrew and Arabic on Pimsleur.

Reactions: Cicada
TS
TS
Cyan Connect

Cyan Connect

OT Supporter
Mar 3, 2005
Hold off on the Arabic until you're fluent in Hebrew, or vice versa. It's like trying to learn addition and subtraction at the same time. You always end up at 0.
True. You are right. Thank you for this.

But should I study one or the other on Paul Noble, Rosetta Stone, or HebrewPod or should I stick with Pimsleur?

It is like Pimsleur entices you with the first three levels with easy conversations and then throws you into something that is so hard you hardly ever remember it. And that is how they get you to buy it, or at least the early lessons.

• Love
Reactions: Simius The Monkey
TS
TS
Cyan Connect

Cyan Connect

OT Supporter
Mar 3, 2005
When I contact the Polyglots on YouTube, those guys never answer their Private Messages, etc. and never get back to me.

Is there anyone on OT that knows the best audio/software program to learn Arabic and/or Hebrew?

Calamity Clam

OT Supporter
Apr 8, 2010
Florida
True. You are right.

But should I study one or the other on Paul Noble, Rosetta Stone, or HebrewPod or should I stick with Pimsleur?

It is like Pimsleur entices you with the first three levels with easy conversations and then throws you into something that is so hard you hardly ever remember it. And that is how they get you to buy it, or at least the early lessons.

I've never had experience with any of those. But from what you're saying, it sounds like maybe you should move away from Pimsleur. Rosetta Stone is the only name I even recognize, so I'd go with that one. But I have next to 0 knowledge on the topic so I could be leading you in the wrong direction.

Reactions: Cyan Connect
TS
TS
Cyan Connect

Cyan Connect

OT Supporter
Mar 3, 2005
I've never had experience with any of those. But from what you're saying, it sounds like maybe you should move away from Pimsleur. Rosetta Stone is the only name I even recognize, so I'd go with that one. But I have next to 0 knowledge on the topic so I could be leading you in the wrong direction.
No, you're not leading me down the wrong direction. I find Pimsleur overpriced due to the minimal content and I find that learning one language is easier than learning two at once.

So you are right. I thank you for the help.

TS
TS
Cyan Connect

Cyan Connect

OT Supporter
Mar 3, 2005
I do not know why Pimsleur sells 3 levels of a language for $119 for MP3s per level and like $600 to $1000 for a 5 level set.

If no one has heard of Pimsleur except a few people like me, then shouldn't it be cheaper rather than more expensive? Because if demand is low, doesn't economics and marketing say it will sell at the cheaper end than the more expensive end?

• Love

thumpr

someone you trust is one of us
OT Supporter
Jul 16, 2004
大阪, 日本
are you studying in a class as well? or are you one of those people who thinks that sitting in their room for an hour a day with rosetta stone/pimsleur is all that stands between you and some immigrant pussy?

Reactions: Cyan Connect
TS
TS
Cyan Connect

Cyan Connect

OT Supporter
Mar 3, 2005
are you studying in a class as well? or are you one of those people who thinks that sitting in their room for an hour a day with rosetta stone/pimsleur is all that stands between you and some immigrant pussy?
That is what Pimsleur and Rosetta Stone say, that half an hour a day does the trick, but I am saying to myself now it is a good time to be less naive.

• Love
TS
TS
Cyan Connect

Cyan Connect

OT Supporter
Mar 3, 2005
I do know, from watching the Langfocus YouTube channel, that there are similarities between Arabic and Hebrew though:

Hello is Shalom in Hebrew and Salaam in Arabic.
No is Lo in Hebrew and La in Arabic.
To write is Katavti in Hebrew and Katab in Arabic.
Dog is Kelev in Hebrew and Kalb in Arabic.

Users who are viewing this thread

About Us

• Please do not post anything that violates any Local, State, Federal or International Laws. Your privacy is protected. You have the right to be forgotten. Site funded by advertising, link monetization and member support.
OT v15.12.0 Copyright © 2000-2023 Offtopic.com
Served by fx.offtopic.com

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nancy Sherman