MMA I have come to realize that I suck ass with the Gi on

Discussion in 'OT Bar' started by Maestro Nobones, Jul 24, 2006.

1. Maestro Nobones

Maestro Nobones Great Job! - GLAD DADS CREW

that shit is wack, I know I need to train more with it on, which is what I'm doing now, but for fuck's sake it gets frustrating getting stomped on by dudes who you know you can beat just because they train in the Gi all the time and I don't :mad: plus our academy has no AC, have you ever tried to rassle in a Gi in 110 degree heat? fuck that.

2. AK-47

AK-47 Banned

i like gi :o although you are right with how hot it gets

3. Maestro Nobones

with my MS the heat fucking kills me. I gas out in 10 seconds, it is gay.

I like how tricky you have to be with the gi, but I still prefer no-gi

4. xinster

xinster New Member

if you wanna have a top level no gi game, you gotta train the Gi. Less explosiveness involved, and no sweat forces u to be technical instead of burst out of subs.

5. AK-47

AK-47 Banned

yeah you gotta defend all these crazy moves that can happen with the gi, people trapping your arm with the gi, choking you with it, holding on to it to defend subs etc. alertness at 110%

6. chechen

chechen Brazilian Jiu Jitsu OT Supporter

i prefer no gi too.. but i really like the gi as well.. theres no way to escape a submission with the gi on without using technique. No gi sometimes you can just power out, because of sweat, and that builds poor habits.

just stop hating, and start learning sir. thats the only way. i hated the gi when i first started using it.

7. Maestro Nobones

yeah that's the plan man. I've slacked on wearing the gi a lot in the past and now I'm just paying for it. now my punishment is to get used to it in the texas summer without a/c

8. chechen

just drink a lot of water :hs:

i like the gi too because I feel like I'm working against resistance. its a lot harder to move, and since I'm doing gi so often, by the time I train no gi, I feel like three times faster. Maybe thats the same reason why its bugging you, because you're used to being fast, and now it slowed you down :rofl:

9. Maestro Nobones

dude that's totally it! I have gotten to that point in no gi where my movement is really good and I feel pretty slick sometimes... now I go back to trying to catch up with the gi on and feel like I'm neck deep in sand

10. Savage5point0

Savage5point0 Im an asshole.

On a side note that I didnt think needed a new thread: I just bought a new HCK gi and the sizing chart looked like a 6 would work for me, but it seems just a tad too long in the legs and sleeves. I really dont wanna hastle with returning and waiting, can i try to shrink it, or there is a really good tailor in my same office complex, should i just take it there and tell them to fix it?

11. chechen

you could probably have a tailor fix it. did you wash it in cold water? because that would definitely shrink it

12. Savage5point0

Savage5point0 Im an asshole.

I havent washed it yet, cold water will shrink it more than hot?

13. chechen

yes wash it with cold water.. it will shrink a good amount. you may not be able to return it that way obviously

14. adrenalin112

adrenalin112 Active Member

atama summer gi or vulkan ultralight gi's FTW :bigthumb:
    my camp doesnt have AC either.

i suck gi & no gi. mainly because my cardio is wack.

15. adrenalin112

adrenalin112 Active Member

wash hot & dry hot for max shrinkage. that's what i did to make my A3 get closer to being an A2. :wiggle:

16. chechen

i like the atama kimonos.. and the HCK pants because theyre loose and comfy.

17. FlyingNun

FlyingNun Active Member

how many gi's do you guys own? how often do you wash yours? do you alternate gi's?

18. chechen

i just own one... i wash it sometimes twice a day (everytime i train i wash it) I need another one :hs:

19. Atmosphere

Atmosphere PURPLE DREAM

it's like Bikram Yoga where they do yoga in 100-degree rooms :eek5:

20. itr452

itr452 VTEC motherfucker, GOT ANY?

Dude, dont worry that you suck with a gi on. I suck ass WITHOUT a gi. On friday's the dojo I go to does no gi judo and it's tough as hell to do throws. I think having gi sessions all the time prohibits you from learning because you become way too reliant on it. It's pretty cool doing newaza without a gi, it's totally different and it's way more difficult than I thought it'd be.

Don't sweat it........ hell i think you've got the advantage by doing no-gi training most of the time. I feel your pain broly.

As for the guy washing the gi, HOT water, and dry it HOT. it'll shrink quite a bit. Right now i'm training with a light mizuno double weave, and it's really damn nice cuz it's lighter than this thickass Adidas Champion gi I have. Bleh.......... i think i'm going to get myself a a koral or an atama gold weave sometime soon. My single weave is about to tear at the seams :(

21. chechen

in related news.. i went to eddie bravo's school which is pure no gi.. and had no trouble :dunno:

jiu jitsu is jiu jitsu

Last edited: Jul 25, 2006
  22. MyLittleAirport

MyLittleAirport OT Supporter

I got 4 gi's, I had one for the last 2 years and thought it was finally time to get some gi's so I don't have to wash the same gi every single night I train.

I have 2 Gameness, 1 HCK, and 1 Atama.

I like the Gameness a lot, didn't shrink 2 much in the dryer and it felt good to roll around in it. The Atama one was a little too big (like 1 size big) and was pre-shrunk so it kept getting pulled over my head, kinda annoying but no biggie. And the HCK is my oldest and favorite one, collars are tough as hell to resist chokes, and somehow I shrank it to a perfect size for me, like the sleeves barely cover my wrists and its in great condition still. I use the HCK for competition and the rest for just training.

23. xinster

xinster New Member

at professional levels you need to train gi too. I train strictly no gi, but ive heard many instructors all say that you need gi experience it will help your gi game. Just like doing pure BJJ will help your MMA bjj tremendously.

24. Maestro Nobones

so after a day when it was only about 80 degrees in the academy and me tapping another guy out 4 or 5 times consistantly maybe I don't suck as bad as I thought when I made this post. I just gotta get in the flow of using the gi...

25. itr452

itr452 VTEC motherfucker, GOT ANY?

nice dude, ya gotta figure that the MS really gets to ya. God, i'm pretty surprised (and happy for you) that you're still rollin. good stuff broly, i'm gonna go to judo tonight at 7, gonna take off the gi and train. damn, no gi is so much harder than it is with a gi damn it.