FIT i have sleep apnea and i need to reduce my body fat, and by a lot i think

Status
Not open for further replies.

limsoup

OT Supporter
Mar 11, 2007
i've started running about 3 miles a day, but i need to do more. i'm kind of self conscious and don't know what i'm doing in a gym, so i'm thinking about starting swimming but I figure I should do something to increase my strength, so... would a bowflex or something help?

kronik85

Feb 8, 2005
Deutschland
going to the gym would help. take any stares, jeers, taunts, eye rolls and turn them into motivation for getting your fat ass in shape.

reminisce

OT Supporter
Jun 27, 2005
just go and work out. if you aren't a dick to other people and rerack your weights/wipe your sweat off the equipment no one is going to judge you. everyone has to start somewhere.

TS
TS
limsoup

limsoup

OT Supporter
Mar 11, 2007
thanks for the encouragement :)

i don't really know how to do a lot of exercises properly... i guess i'll just suck it up and ask a friend, i guess there's not that much to learn just to start working out

Bacchus

Skinny Guy
Mar 18, 2009
T.dot

kronik85

Feb 8, 2005
Deutschland
thanks for the encouragement :)

i don't really know how to do a lot of exercises properly... i guess i'll just suck it up and ask a friend, i guess there's not that much to learn just to start working out

on the contrary there's a ton to learn... but for the most part. i would do low impact cardio vs. running which for a person with poor mechanics/heavy weight/not used to it can create injuries and such. something like the elliptical or stationary bike over the treadmill.

whatever you do, do it with intensity, and a low(er) calorie diet, and you'll lose weight quickly.

Primrose

Nov 1, 2004
Recall seeing this about sleep, insulin, with a mention about weight loss or gain today.

"Getting adequate sleep appears to help insulin functioning and blood sugar control"

http://www.drbriffa.com/2011/05/05/...-insulin-functioning-and-blood-sugar-control/

excerpt:

There was an interesting, I think, study published this week in which the association between sleep habits and certain metabolic processes were assessed in diabetics and non-diabetics [1]. The study assessed sleep habits by self reports and something known as ‘actigraphy’ (the measuring of sleep through a device worn on the wrist). Health markers assessed included blood sugar levels, insulin levels and extent of ‘insulin resistance’.

Insulin resistance, describes a state where some of the body’s tissues are not responding to insulin, which causes, among other things, generally elevated levels of sugar in the bloodstream. Insulin levels will tend to be high too. Higher levels of insulin may predispose to fat gain. However, if sugar is not making its way efficiently into, say, the muscles and brain, we can end up tired and hungry. In general terms, insulin resistance is not a good thing, and neither is generally elevated levels of sugar and insulin.

In the study in question, in non-diabetics, there was no association found between sleep habits and levels of sugar and insulin and insulin sensitivity.

The situation, however, was very different in diabetics.

Ep

It's all about motivation so set realistic short term goals with some big long term goals in mind.

If you can also find someone who is going to push you or help you get to where you want to be, then start going to the gym with them.

I would also recommend buying a jump rope to keep around the house. If you don't feel like going outside to run, then you have a jump rope available. I prefer that over running anyway.

Adom

Aug 8, 2006
one thing i would highly recommend is keeping track of every single thing you eat and drink for one week.

count the calories. i'm not even say change anything, just keep track. most the time people are really surprised after just 1 day of how bad their eating habits are. im not telling you to think back to yesterday, or what you've had so far today. everyone forgets.

TS
TS
limsoup

limsoup

OT Supporter
Mar 11, 2007
what are you doing about your diet
well i used to eat a lot of cookies and chocolate milk, and it's been like 6 weeks since i've had either. I eat a lot less sugar in general since it makes me tired.

breakfast: all bran complete
lunch: big salad with chicken in there. not much dressing.
dinner: rice, lentils, usually either beef or chicken, some kind of vegetable

in between: on average an apple, orange, banana, and mango if i have it

Adom

Aug 8, 2006
well i used to eat a lot of cookies and chocolate milk, and it's been like 6 weeks since i've had either. I eat a lot less sugar in general since it makes me tired.

breakfast: all bran complete
lunch: big salad with chicken in there. not much dressing.
dinner: rice, lentils, usually either beef or chicken, some kind of vegetable

in between: on average an apple, orange, banana, and mango if i have it
like i said, write it down for a week.

bring in a tablespoon measuring spoon. 2 tablespoons is a serving of most dressings. see if 2 is more or less than what you typically use.

you can't have a decent guess unless you are familiar with doing it acurately.

here is an example that i had.. when i'd eat nuts I would guess the 1 oz to a handful. figured that was about right. until i brought in a 1/4 cup measuring cup (thats ~about 1 serving of most nuts) and I realized I was eating more like 2 servings each time. now my 150 calorie snack is 300 calories. 3 times a day. im getting an extra 350 calories without realizing it. oh sweet, that 3 miles i run after work is negated by my large handfuls. fuck my life. exercising doesn't work.

AJAX

Oct 28, 2004
Massachusetts
Yeah dude, I remember what it was like when I first started going to the gym (210lbs @ 5'7'' with 0 muscle) and I felt like I totally didn't belong in a gym. Now when I'm working out and I see someone who is overweight I ALWAYS say to myself "good for you!" or "keep it up!"

TS
TS
limsoup

limsoup

OT Supporter
Mar 11, 2007
on the contrary there's a ton to learn... but for the most part. i would do low impact cardio vs. running which for a person with poor mechanics/heavy weight/not used to it can create injuries and such. something like the elliptical or stationary bike over the treadmill.

whatever you do, do it with intensity, and a low(er) calorie diet, and you'll lose weight quickly.
oh i'm already happy about the running. after 4 weeks, i think, i'm at the point where the 3 miles feels really good at the end instead of exhausting, but i'm only at a 10min pace so i think i'll see if that gets quicker before i go for longer.

i'll read up on the stickies before i buy a gym membership

TS
TS
limsoup

limsoup

OT Supporter
Mar 11, 2007
like i said, write it down for a week.

bring in a tablespoon measuring spoon. 2 tablespoons is a serving of most dressings. see if 2 is more or less than what you typically use.

you can't have a decent guess unless you are familiar with doing it acurately.

here is an example that i had.. when i'd eat nuts I would guess the 1 oz to a handful. figured that was about right. until i brought in a 1/4 cup measuring cup (thats ~about 1 serving of most nuts) and I realized I was eating more like 2 servings each time. now my 150 calorie snack is 300 calories. 3 times a day. im getting an extra 350 calories without realizing it. oh sweet, that 3 miles i run after work is negated by my large handfuls. fuck my life. exercising doesn't work.
will do! that's a good point and i didn't even realize it but i could be doing that

as for dressing, weirdly enough it's the one thing that i do measure, so it's about 2 tablespoons, which i guess works out since you just said that's the typical serving size.

Adom

Aug 8, 2006
will do!

as for dressing, weirdly enough it's the one thing that i do measure, so it's about 2 tablespoons, which i guess works out since you just said that's the typical serving size.
buttermilk ranch? ~180 calories per servings. thats about 1.25 miles, btw. ;)

TS
TS
limsoup

limsoup

OT Supporter
Mar 11, 2007
buttermilk ranch? ~180 calories per servings. thats about 1.25 miles, btw. ;)
:rofl: i was thinking that exact same thing :eek3:

i bought the low calorie ranch by accident, but now that i'm thinking about it, i should probably just stick to that

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

About Us

• Please do not post anything that violates any Local, State, Federal or International Laws. Your privacy is protected. You have the right to be forgotten. Site funded by advertising, link monetization and member support.
OT v15.8.1 Copyright © 2000-2022 Offtopic.com
Served by fu.offtopic.com

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Theodor