ART I have to take our company picture on Tuesday

Creator

The Creator Has a Master Plan
Sep 27, 2001
Here
I've never done a group shot before. 15 or so people. Don't have a location yet since there isn't really anyplace in our office to do it. No idea what its for since there's never been one taken. It's a new media company and I think bossman will be there.

Anyone have tips for something like this? I'll bring my collection of strobes, umbrellas and my softbox but fuck. How should I line people up? By height? Boss is really tall, second in command is 5'5 or so.

Easy solution is just tripod and use natural light and have an ok picture but id rather not go that route.

turbodude

Just a photographer
OT Supporter
Jun 17, 2002
Las Vegas
what equipment do you have?

If you use an outside location you should be ok as you will be using your strobes for a good amoutn of fill. But make sure you stack the people up where you they will not cast shadows onto each other.

alexromo

Jul 10, 2005
Wahiawa
shoot out front of the company

how much is your boss paying you for doing this? just letting you clock in for those hours or something?

jared_IRL

OT Supporter
Feb 12, 2006
you'll be fine.

2 rows, tall in back - short in front

set an umbrella up on each side, about 45 degrees from axis.

shoot through the umbrellas. Shoot with their backs to the sun, and use the sunlight as the hair/accent light, and shoot with whatever iso/flash power/shutterspeed you need in order to keep the ambient.

It'll take you a couple minutes to get everything perfect, so you should definitely get some details on when and where, and practice tomorrow.

Jcolman

OT Supporter
Aug 19, 2002
dirty souf
Find the best background and figure out the best time of day to shoot (if you have that option). Shoot from a ladder. You want to be higher than the tallest person. Stagger the group in a V formation. Use your strobes for fill.

Tedrzz

Jul 6, 2005
Brooklyn, NY
usually when im taking pictures of a large group i make sure to bring some toys to wave around right before i take the picture so they look at the camera.

TS
TS
Creator

Creator

Sep 27, 2001
Here
Find the best background and figure out the best time of day to shoot (if you have that option). Shoot from a ladder. You want to be higher than the tallest person. Stagger the group in a V formation. Use your strobes for fill.

Interesting about getting higher than them.

Right now the best option is shooting from the backstair case but i need to scout some more.

And the person who is coordinating this keeps saying 'thanks for letting us use your camera' :ugh:

TS
TS
Creator

Creator

Sep 27, 2001
Here
Alright so i scouted locations around the office and the best bet is this wall in the alley. I can probably get them 5 feet out in front of it so there is decent separation BUT the sun is going to be in front of them not behind. We are shooting at 1130 which isnt the best time at all, but it's the only time we cna get everyone

aCab

Jun 1, 2007
Chicaaago
Alright so i scouted locations around the office and the best bet is this wall in the alley. I can probably get them 5 feet out in front of it so there is decent separation BUT the sun is going to be in front of them not behind. We are shooting at 1130 which isnt the best time at all, but it's the only time we cna get everyone

Find some shade
Do a composite background
Profit

TS
TS
Creator

Creator

Sep 27, 2001
Here
Here are the locations I scouted:

IMG_0388.jpg

The wall - where I think im going to shoot. The sun will be over head.

IMG_0387.jpg

Stairs, the sun would be slightly in front. There is a horrible shadow tehre which i hope will move (it should) and some stuff would have to be chopped out. The car and the gate I can move.

IMG_0385.jpg

Roof - where I want to shoot but 'they' dont want to since some employees wont be able to climb the latter to get up there.

aCab

Jun 1, 2007
Chicaaago
Shoot in the shade, light the faces then key in a different BG?

Or you could even get creative with some dodging and burning in PS. It'll be difficult to light the faces fully unless you have some huge lights. How many people again? To make the scene believable, maybe find a decent location around the office (for the bg)or go back and shoot the alley when the light is right and compile the two.

TS
TS
Creator

Creator

Sep 27, 2001
Here

Or you could even get creative with some dodging and burning in PS. It'll be difficult to light the faces fully unless you have some huge lights. How many people again? To make the scene believable, maybe find a decent location around the office (for the bg)or go back and shoot the alley when the light is right and compile the two.

Hmm.

Up to 16 people :hsd:

TS
TS
Creator

Creator

Sep 27, 2001
Here
Oh and shooting on a 40d, probably use my 24mm lens, i've got 3 540EZs with cactus triggers, light stands, umbrellas and one soft box.

TS
TS
Creator

Creator

Sep 27, 2001
Here
Hardest part with lighting groups of people it making sure one person doesn't cast a shadow onto another person, so you end up with the very weird (at least for larger groups) looking V shape. :noes:

So I should stagger them in a V?

Any example pics?

TS
TS
Creator

Creator

Sep 27, 2001
Here
Maybe I should stand on that staircase and shoot down and do something like this

group-shot-2.jpg

TS
TS
Creator

Creator

Sep 27, 2001
Here
The issue with that of course it the groud here would be standard parking lot tar

turbodude

Just a photographer
OT Supporter
Jun 17, 2002
Las Vegas

oh man, there is goign to be alot of closed, squinty eyes...

you can find anywhere with shade? or sun at their back?

TS
TS
Creator

Creator

Sep 27, 2001
Here
Actually doing the shot from up and them circled might work well - the tar has a nice texture. And it's in the shade.

Users who are viewing this thread

About Us

• Please do not post anything that violates any Local, State, Federal or International Laws. Your privacy is protected. You have the right to be forgotten. Site funded by advertising, link monetization and member support.
OT v15.8.1 Copyright © 2000-2022 Offtopic.com
Served by fu.offtopic.com

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Theodor