I just got an evacuation notice for a fire

Ava G.

OT Supporter
Apr 9, 2021
CO
Stay safe, Boing.

I live in southern Colorado. It's been dry and windy for days on end.

TS
TS
Boing

Boing

OT Supporter
Jun 30, 2007
Damn, CoS on fire again? I remember the black forest fire when I first moved there and that was pretty close to me. Stay safe.

That fire was super close to me as well. My work evacuated. The Black Forest fire was fucking huge. Over 500 homes lost.

I got a ton of pics from down the street:

HmEZdpA.png

Do67LRZ.png

ekNOJy8.png

jgGHBmc.png

v7gAXwH.png

KaqAbu0.png

5dk5zfV.png

atVjLNU.png

TS
TS
Boing

Boing

OT Supporter
Jun 30, 2007
Airport fire in the foreground - Teller county fire behind Pikes Peak in the back

Llma3CB.png

TS
TS
Boing

Boing

OT Supporter
Jun 30, 2007
The building is a giant ass Amazon distribution center - same building just to the left of the fire in the pic above

Noparking

Platinum Member
OT Supporter
Aug 9, 2004
South Island, New Zeland

Ava G.

OT Supporter
Apr 9, 2021
CO
Yeah, might be smart to break out the face masks again. I ordered more from Amazon the other day cuz all the dust and pollen.

Thunderbear

Yggdrasil's Forester.
Someone on OT told me to do that last year when the fires were creeping into West Kelowna.

Blackline fires are a common wildland fire tactic, though usually not in a suburban context.

They work by denying the approaching fire front of fuel. If there is no downed woody debris, forest duff or flammable materials that embers or jumping fronts can ignite in the already burned area, that front stalls, and the fire will move on, weather depending, to areas with more fuel sources.

I don't know if Canada has an analogous program to FireWISE in the US but it'd be worth looking into if your area still has high fire indexes during the wildland fire season.

Colleen

Apr 3, 2002
🇨🇦
Blackline fires are a common wildland fire tactic, though usually not in a suburban context.

They work by denying the approaching fire front of fuel. If there is no downed woody debris, forest duff or flammable materials that embers or jumping fronts can ignite in the already burned area, that front stalls, and the fire will move on, weather depending, to areas with more fuel sources.

I don't know if Canada has an analogous program to FireWISE in the US but it'd be worth looking into if your area still has high fire indexes during the wildland fire season.
We do burns where needed... The natives did their controlled burns and most of my city is native owned on the upside.

Users who are viewing this thread

About Us

• Please do not post anything that violates any Local, State, Federal or International Laws. Your privacy is protected. You have the right to be forgotten. Site funded by advertising, link monetization and member support.
OT v15.8.1 Copyright © 2000-2022 Offtopic.com
Served by fu.offtopic.com

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ddunn9448