I just got an evacuation notice for a fire

TS
TS
Boing

Boing

OT Supporter
Jun 30, 2007
Information released overnight revealed the fire started by smoldering ashes from a fire pit.

The homeowner was ticketed and will be charged with a class six felony.

fucking idiot :rofl: :madfawk:

TS
TS
Boing

Boing

OT Supporter
Jun 30, 2007
From one of the other fires:

A woman and her dog died after flames engulfed their home

Steve Kaye, a resident who fled the fire, said he heard a woman scream “Help me! Help me!” and quickly ran outside to see her door engulfed in flames on Thursday afternoon. He said he tried to help her escape, but the fire grew too quickly and soon her entire home became swallowed by the fire, he said.

• Sad
Reactions: preston

zhiniibob

soy lago
OT Supporter
Feb 1, 2005
Information released overnight revealed the fire started by smoldering ashes from a fire pit.

The homeowner was ticketed and will be charged with a class six felony.

fucking idiot :rofl: :madfawk:
Just wait til you get the bozo pulling a smoker at temp down a road starting fires every 2000’

Theyre mostly all stupid ass reasons

• Haha
Reactions: Platinum_Thunder

A Cow

OT Supporter
Jul 7, 2005
Vancouver BC
just pee on it.. it will be fine.

but in all honestly..
toss a sprinkler on your roof and GTFO..

let hte firemen deal with that shit. bush fires are scary as hell.

Hops

OT Supporter
Aug 28, 2003
Sierra Foothills, CA
Blackline fires are a common wildland fire tactic, though usually not in a suburban context.

They work by denying the approaching fire front of fuel. If there is no downed woody debris, forest duff or flammable materials that embers or jumping fronts can ignite in the already burned area, that front stalls, and the fire will move on, weather depending, to areas with more fuel sources.

I don't know if Canada has an analogous program to FireWISE in the US but it'd be worth looking into if your area still has high fire indexes during the wildland fire season.
Common for firefighting, I don't think e ery homeowner that gets evacuated should be lighting their yard on fire lol

zhiniibob

soy lago
OT Supporter
Feb 1, 2005
Common for firefighting, I don't think e ery homeowner that gets evacuated should be lighting their yard on fire lol
Eh, it was fires couple miles away what can we do? They seem way out in the country from pics so it’s what I’d do, and exactly what the fire crew would do. No one’s talking about setting a suburban lawn on fire lol

Thunderbear

Yggdrasil's Forester.

Depends on your yard. Most woodland-dwelling homeowners do not adequately assess the ladder fuels threats they have that endanger their house, nor the buffer spacing on trees and shrubs. If you live in the US in a wildland fire area, definitely look into FireWISE, the guidelines could save your house.

1652478562760.png

1652478656981.png

• Cool
Reactions: Scoob_13

Ramathorn15

OT Supporter
Jan 31, 2008
ABQ
Scary stuff. Stay safe. We flew back from SC yesterday and got a good view of the calf canyon/hermit peak fire. Makes me a feel a bit better we didn't buy in the foothills back in 18.

PXL_20220512_204356513.jpg

Reactions: Downset

Hops

OT Supporter
Aug 28, 2003
Sierra Foothills, CA
Eh, it was fires couple miles away what can we do? They seem way out in the country from pics so it’s what I’d do, and exactly what the fire crew would do. No one’s talking about setting a suburban lawn on fire lol
And if that one makes it worse do you get charged with arson? I live on 40 acres in wildfire central, I'm not lighting my place up if I need to leave. Backfires are monitored, if joe schmo lights his acreage on fire to protect his home and the wind shifts, he just advanced the fire without the need of an ember. Technically not advanced, started a new one, hence arson.

Last edited:

zhiniibob

soy lago
OT Supporter
Feb 1, 2005
And if that one makes it worse do you get charged with arson? I live on 40 acres in wildfire central, I'm not lighting my place up if I need to leave. Backfires are monitored, if joe schmo lights his acreage on fire to protect his home and the wind shifts, he just advanced the fire without the need of an ember. Technically not advanced, started a new one, hence arson.
I’d lean towards no but not sure, but from all the fires I’ve worked I don’t know one cop or firefighter who would have cared as long as you didn’t Hellen Keller it. It’s stupid simple. Keep it small and controlled and it’s not difficult whatsoever

Hops

OT Supporter
Aug 28, 2003
Sierra Foothills, CA
I’d lean towards no but not sure, but from all the fires I’ve worked I don’t know one cop or firefighter who would have cared as long as you didn’t Hellen Keller it. It’s stupid simple. Keep it small and controlled and it’s not difficult whatsoever
Controlled is the word lol. I'm picturing someone lighting their shit as they're told to get out an moving to a hotel.

Still I get nervous doing burn piles when there's almost no risk. Doing anything with fire in these conditions is a no for me.

{hydro}

OT Supporter
Aug 1, 2005
Upstate CA
Yeah you'll definitely get in deep shit lighting anything not during burn season without a permit. It's called a broadcast burn. edit: when you want to burn more than piles on your property. get a special permit, air quality control is involved, etc

Last edited:

zhiniibob

soy lago
OT Supporter
Feb 1, 2005
Yeah you'll definitely get in deep shit lighting anything not during burn season without a permit. It's called a broadcast burn.
We let some of that shit slide, but this is a little bit of a different circumstance we’ve worked ourselves into

Last edited:

{hydro}

OT Supporter
Aug 1, 2005
Upstate CA
We let that shit slide all the time, and this is a little bit of a different circumstance we’ve worked ourselves into
I've been on big fires where we got pulled off to go put them out. LE was involved assuming they got fined. It's a huge risk to neighboring properties, other people.

Most people have no idea what they're doing and the properties I went to weren't even in the direct path of the fire.

zhiniibob

soy lago
OT Supporter
Feb 1, 2005
I've been on big fires where we got pulled off to go put them out. LE was involved assuming they got fined. It's a huge risk to neighboring properties, other people.

Most people have no idea what they're doing and the properties I went to weren't even in the direct path of the fire.
This started from a half ass joke while also being a legit last ditch option before an evacuation to save a house. Just fyi

Last edited:
Reactions: Downset and {hydro}

zhiniibob

soy lago
OT Supporter
Feb 1, 2005
Idiots certainly shouldn’t be doing this, but we’ve also ran across people doing a fine job and jumped in and helped them

Reactions: {hydro}

Users who are viewing this thread

About Us

• Please do not post anything that violates any Local, State, Federal or International Laws. Your privacy is protected. You have the right to be forgotten. Site funded by advertising, link monetization and member support.
OT v15.8.1 Copyright © 2000-2022 Offtopic.com
Served by fu.offtopic.com

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ddunn9448