EDU ENT I learned a valuable life lesson from the Star Trek The Next Generation episode Lower Decks.

Cyan Connect

It is the unknown that defines our existence.
OT Supporter
Mar 3, 2005
It taught me to never give up on myself no matter how hard life gets.

Reactions: lowfat
TS
TS
Cyan Connect

Cyan Connect

OT Supporter
Mar 3, 2005
Most people consider The Inner Light as the most influential episode of Star Trek The Next Generation. I agree, on the Macro level. In the sense that societies and families are depicted in a positive light amongst Captain Picard's newly acquired memories. But I personally prefer the Star Trek The Next Generation episode Lower Decks because it works on a Micro Level and deals with personal and individual development, like figuring out eventually that you matter and you are worthy and to never give up on yourself.

• Love
Reactions: Simius The Monkey
TS
TS
Cyan Connect

Cyan Connect

OT Supporter
Mar 3, 2005
I try to give respect to everybody because like a fellow unit member of the 478th PSB told me when I was in the Army and stationed at Ft. Carson, "We all have something to offer". Meaning, everybody has something to offer everyone. We all have our gifts, talents, and what is great about us inside of our hearts and souls. In fact, that was our unit motto, "Heart and Soul".

• Love

Bobby Ballsack

We all need friends in here
Jun 22, 2001
Mayor of Studio City
I try to give respect to everybody because like a fellow unit member of the 478th PSB told me when I was in the Army and stationed at Ft. Carson, "We all have something to offer". Meaning, everybody has something to offer everyone. We all have our gifts, talents, and what is great about us inside of our hearts and souls. In fact, that was our unit motto, "Heart and Soul".

Even @6Bojangles9 though?

TS
TS
Cyan Connect

Cyan Connect

OT Supporter
Mar 3, 2005
Ship in a bottle tho
Captain Jean-Luc Picard and Senior Chief Petty Officer Myles Edward O'Brien both collected ships in bottles when they were kids. As a Political Science Major myself, I find history and antique Navy vessels to be very interesting. I especially loved the boat in the movie Mortal Kombat which Shang Tsung uses to take the Earth Realm Warriors to fight the Outworld Warriors at his island.

TS
TS
Cyan Connect

Cyan Connect

OT Supporter
Mar 3, 2005
I dare say the rocky franchise does a better job. Go the distance, and never let your resolve waiver.
True. That is very true. But I am middle class and Apollo Creed and Rocky Balboa are wealthy. The military/Star Trek appeals to the working class and middle class with its philosophy based on military strategy and tactics. Whereas Rocky is about someone with an eight figure salary. Don't get me wrong. And I am not trying to disrespect Carl Weathers and Sylvester Stallone, but it is a movie about telling anyone they can make it to the top if they never give up. While Star Trek tells you you can be middle class and still enjoy life and your job, also if you never give up.

Hope that makes sense.

• Love

borazhasleftthebuilding

half black lives matter, too
OT Supporter
Feb 11, 2005
in da forest
True. That is very true. But I am middle class and Apollo Creed and Rocky Balboa are wealthy. The military/Star Trek appeals to the working class and middle class with its philosophy based on military strategy and tactics. Whereas Rocky is about someone with an eight figure salary. Don't get me wrong. And I am not trying to disrespect Carl Weathers and Sylvester Stallone, but it is a movie about telling anyone they can make it to the top if they never give up. While Star Trek tells you you can be middle class and still enjoy life and your job, also if you never give up.

Hope that makes sense.
rocky was poor af dude

Reactions: Cyan Connect

cyclaptor

Sep 8, 2006
Arlington Texas

Hope that makes sense.
A meritocracy. Now wouldn't that be something.

Reactions: Cyan Connect
TS
TS
Cyan Connect

Cyan Connect

OT Supporter
Mar 3, 2005
A meritocracy. Now wouldn't that be something.
Well... you are right. And I don't mean any disrespect.

It's just personally in a capitalist society, I want to be reminded that I am middle class (watching Star Trek) and not a wealthy boxer (watching Rocky).

But having said that, Stallone and Patrick Stewart equally have things going for them. They both have good philosophies. Stallone said, "If I can change, you can change, we all can change." Picard said a lot of great things himself as well.

That is why I respect Rocky Movies and Star Trek equally, but I prefer watching Star Trek. And I am saying this as someone who did contact sports like Boxing on and off for a while. Not that much Boxing, but a day here and there, once in a while. Enough to learn something about the sports I studied.

Users who are viewing this thread

About Us

• Please do not post anything that violates any Local, State, Federal or International Laws. Your privacy is protected. You have the right to be forgotten. Site funded by advertising, link monetization and member support.
OT v15.8.1 Copyright © 2000-2022 Offtopic.com
Served by fu.offtopic.com

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Theodor