SRS I quit my meds, should i start again?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by yawgmoth, Mar 5, 2005.

1. yawgmoth

yawgmoth nine > ten OT Supporter

I was diagnosed with depression. I started taking various anti-depressants with little to no real result in the face of breaking up with my g/f. I started on cymbaltra, 90mgs and it helped a LITTLE, not sure how much but I did notice if i missed a day, I got way worse. So me and my ex started going out, and I noticed or felt rather ,that the drugs didn't help me. so I planned on talking to my psych about getting off them. well, my g/f starting acting wierd, and I became very...shitty. I panicked, broke up with her, quit my meds and tried to kill myself all in the same day. Now, 4 days later with my pills in flushed down the toilet, I wonder if I should take them again becuase I am not totally sure, but I feel worse than ever, but it could just be heartache....
    I know youa re not doctors, but some of you might have experienced something like this. I can't see my psych for a little while so I need to know if I should refill my prescription or just try cognitivie therapy as my new counselor suggests. (although she isn't against drugs, she just views my problem as a thinking problem and possibly not a chemical imbalance) but I do have phsycial symptoms resulting from my "thinking problem" so I don't know....I"m just scared, and depressed, and I want to be happy.
    I have flirted with st johns wort, but I will give that up for cymbaltra.

2. Darketernal

Darketernal Watch: Aria The Origination =)

It's like this, of course you take your medicine if you can't handle things, and you should continue to do so, UNTIL you are feeling that you are truelly ready to quit your medicine, and have the strenght to cope with all that life throws at you.

Take in consult of your docter,psychiater, and/or others who assist you before stepping of the medicines. It is vital that you regain strenght and feel your way thru the situation because it's all about emotions, you need to try to become emotionally strong enough to cope.

I strongly like to stress however that your medicines are only a symptom suppressor, they do not cure the real problem which lie outside. You need to realise a few important things.

A problem will remain a problem until the end of time, until you command your hands and solve the puzzle. Only that way will you be able to conintue with your life, or stay stuck in a rut.

Facts determine your emotions
    emotions do not determine the facts.

It's this what is vital to understanding so you will actively solve your problems yourself.

Because the reality of problems is, that everyone has to solve their own problems. And to cope with this you need to aquire yourself with those skills that factually make your life for the better.

Honestly you need to get a grip on yourself, call for an appointment asap, and tell the doc or shrink what happend, and ask for methods on how to prevent this in the future.

3. yawgmoth

I do realize all that you have said. I guess I should have elaborated more. I know drugs aren't a cure-all. My problem lies within me and i am going to actively seek therapy for that. I guess the pills just let me breathe again so to speak.

4. knarxed

knarxed New Member

Cognitive behavorial therapy is what I plan to take in the future. From what I hear, it works in a better way. Depression has an effect on your physicality (tiredness, sexual problems, anxiety and others), so give it a try.

If you miss a day, and you dont feel as good, you're probably acting WORSE then how you've been acting without them. Sometimes that happens on meds.

How long have you been taking cymbaltra? It takes up to 4 weeks to tell if they are working or not. If they don't work good (and you KNOW they dont), its probably no use being on them. NEVER come off of it cold turkey.

What other meds have you tried and how long have you tried them for?

5. yawgmoth

I have been taking cymbaltra for a few months now, with somewhat positive results compared to lexapro and paxil. And I know missing a pill gives me withdrawl, as I expereienced SEVERE symptoms of depression in the day or two following them, even when I was happy with my g/f. I tried paxil for a month, lexapro for a month also.

6. civicmon

civicmon got all my game from the streets of california.

there are quite a few SSRI's and ADs out there, so if one does not work, try another.

Not all work for everyone.

7. Spiritus

Spiritus Well-Known Member

i recommend you get back on them to get out of the hole.

but once you dont need them get off. they tend to take the lust from life, at least for me.

8. You have your answer.