I rode a sportbike for the first time last night........

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by anemic, Jul 28, 2003.

1. anemic

anemic Look just because were bereaved doesn't make us sa

Boy was that a mistake, that rides gonna cost me a lot of money, i had a fucking blast :bigthumb:
    It was a 95 yzf 750, My only other experience riding a streetbike is a 99 bmw r1100r my old man has and I like the riding position of the yzf so much better. On the Bmw I feel less prepared to avoid something or move quickly. But the 750 didn't feel all that fast..... don't get me wrong it was fast but not like I had expected. I was only riding in a residential area so I think i had it up to like 11 or 12 grand a few times and like 65-70 mph.
    I have a few questions
    The theme around here seems like everyone should start out on a 600, am I being naive thinking I need a bigger bike, I mean I would consider myself a pretty good trail rider with my dirtbike so I don't think its a issue of me handling a heavier bike...

How would this 750 I rode compare to a newer bike?

I love the v-twins, but someone told me if I get a twin to go closer to a liter bike Because the dont have the power in the smaller bikes like the 4 cylinders
    TIA

2. Westside

Westside New Member

If you have lots of previous riding experience in ONLY dirt, you could get a 600. But for God's sake, don't go bigger. No one is going to call you a pussy for "settling" with a 600cc SS. Take the MSF course, and get a 600 if you *have* to have it.

3. Wolf

Wolf No one plans to take the path that brings you lowe

V-Twins don't have the peak HP that the I4s do, but they generally have a broader powerband, so you don't have to rev them so high to make power. My SV only has 65hp, but I can power out of a corner at 2500rpms, where on an I4, I'd have to downshift.

If it's your first streetbike, you definitely don't need a liter bike, whether I4 or v-twin. Since you have some dirt experience, I'd recommend an SV650.

4. Mike99TA

Mike99TA I don't have anything clever to put here right now

a 95 YZF750 is going to be slower than any current model 600cc. Also the current model 600cc's are going to handle a hell of a lot better. The YZF750 isn't a full on supersport, its just a sport tourer (like the new YZF600R). Anyway, the point is a YZF750 will be a fine starting bike if you've already done a lot of dirt motorcycling...I'd rather have a newer 600cc though.

5. fr0ng

fr0ng Guest

Hehe..the other day a BARFer chick came to my work and was complaining about how shitty her SV650s was..haha :fawk: