ART I spent yesterday organizing my photos in LR

Kirk Hinrich

Sep 20, 2004
Brown Line
how do you mean organized? I import my photos directly into folders, and then tag the shit out of them with metadata for organization purposes. I only use a few smart collections.

TS
TS

itchypony

Jan 14, 2007
I've been consistently lazy when I import, so I needed to go back and clean up my mess.

Girth

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
OT Supporter
Jun 28, 2002
Houston
cut/paste?

I just have it copy the file when it imports to my hd

Too much of a cluster fuck for me. I don't want all the files transfered. I cut/paste into the proper folders, then I import the folder into LR. That way, only the originals are in LR and I can export the jpegs out without having them clog my folders. I'll post a screenshot tonight when I get home. Clean and simple.

Rojo Johnson

Dec 27, 2004
Texas
Probably a stupid question. Does it hurt the quality of the pics when you cut/paste a bunch of pics from one folder to another?

1992 240SX

Jan 10, 2004
Long Beach, CA
I have all my photos organized with YEAR>>MONTH>>DAY, and my edited stuff is in another folder. I knew when I started this that it would get overwhelming if I didn't come up with a system. Lately I've been naming them as well as giving them a date but I can usually remember around what time of the month I shot what.

mrduke

Jun 1, 2004
WA
lightroom won't recognize RAW files on my camera, so i have to manually copy them off the card onto my HD, and then it sees them so i can import :wtf:

vgeek

Mar 2, 2007
Kentucky
Use the Canon Utility, it will import your photos to folders named for the date it was taken when you hook the camera up, then have Lightroom monitoring a folder, then every time you open LR, you will have new pictures already categorized by date taken.

mrduke

Jun 1, 2004
WA
Use the Canon Utility, it will import your photos to folders named for the date it was taken when you hook the camera up, then have Lightroom monitoring a folder, then every time you open LR, you will have new pictures already categorized by date taken.
i'll try it :h5:

Mighty_Zeus

Any reason you don't just import directly into LR? It does the EXACT same thing.

vgeek

Mar 2, 2007
Kentucky
Any reason you don't just import directly into LR? It does the EXACT same thing.

Does it put them in folders according to the photo's taken date, not just the import date? When I try to import from device, it doesn't ever do anything for me, so I just use the Canon Utility.

Mighty_Zeus

Does it put them in folders according to the photo's taken date, not just the import date? When I try to import from device, it doesn't ever do anything for me, so I just use the Canon Utility.

Yes, it puts them in folders according to picture date.

When you open the import dialog box <<File - Import Photos From Disk>>, there is an arrow on the right of the very top ((File Handling)). Choose what ever you want (I choose 'copy files to new location and add to catelog'). It will then scan the exif data from the pictures and sort them according to capture date.

Basically, you set up the directory you want to store in, and it copes them to that directory per EXIF gleaned capture date, and stores them in a folder (my format is 2008-12-03).

I am pretty sure Adobe would burn if people could not do that with software that costs as much as a small car.

Users who are viewing this thread

About Us

• Please do not post anything that violates any Local, State, Federal or International Laws. Your privacy is protected. You have the right to be forgotten. Site funded by advertising, link monetization and member support.
OT v15.8.1 Copyright © 2000-2022 Offtopic.com
Served by fu.offtopic.com

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vitalesan