I think my hvac fan motor died

8legs

8eyes
OT Supporter
Mar 16, 2008
Webbywebz
Smelled smoke in 2 rooms in the house close to the furnace where all the circulated air tends to flow to. We usually keep the fan going to circulate / filter the air, but I'm guessing the filter probably got choked up. I changed it in July.

Checked everywhere and even climbed into the attic in the middle of the night. No source determined, no smell at all in the attic. Turned off the fan and it's getting a lot better. I was on the verge of having the fd come poke around.

Not looking forward to needing repairs with baby in the house, but I have a family member that might be able to do it.

What kind of cost am I looking at?

TS
TS
8legs

8legs

8eyes
OT Supporter
Mar 16, 2008
Webbywebz
You mean like the compressor unit? A good repairman can probably just replace the part that went bad so you don’t need a whole new unit. Probably be 500-1000$ in that area
I have no clue what is a compresor unit.

I did the Google and "sweet smoke smell in house" told me it might be the fan motor.

Mrfrosty

Club Astros member #0001.
OT Supporter
Nov 3, 2008
Metry, LA
Blower Fan/motor and not the outside fan from the sounds of it.

If you know how to match wire for wire, if you buy a new one exactly like your old one ,~200. Otherwise 3-60

Edit: changed term to not confuse you

Reactions: 8legs
TS
TS
8legs

8legs

8eyes
OT Supporter
Mar 16, 2008
Webbywebz
Blower Fan/motor and not the outside fan from the sounds of it.

If you know how to match wire for wire, if you buy a new one exactly like your old one ,~200. Otherwise 3-600
I think my fam can do the cheaper thing. He knows all things building and house maintenance. I'm thinking he might recommend a pro do it, but if there's any chance he'll handle it I'm behind him 100%. I'll prob rope him into fixing something else if he can't fix the fan.

Mrfrosty

OT Supporter
Nov 3, 2008
Metry, LA
I think my fam can do the cheaper thing. He knows all things building and house maintenance. I'm thinking he might recommend a pro do it, but if there's any chance he'll handle it I'm behind him 100%. I'll prob rope him into fixing something else if he can't fix the fan.

I hope he burns down your house for you asking this and then going to someone inside the family :scootin:

Sorry not sorry

TS
TS
8legs

8legs

8eyes
OT Supporter
Mar 16, 2008
Webbywebz
I hope he burns down your house for you asking this and then going to someone inside the family :scootin:

Sorry not sorry
He can at least dx the problem. If the fan is fine maybe my house is burning down real slow :hsughno:

I still have to buy the parts.

Mrfrosty

OT Supporter
Nov 3, 2008
Metry, LA
He can at least dx the problem. If the fan is fine maybe my house is burning down real slow :hsughno:

I still have to buy the parts.

If it's family it'll be cheap. They're not hard to replace. Toss him a couple extra dollars, for the headache, and have him show you so next time you know WTF to do. It's not rocket science.

Just so I'm clear the extra is for the headache you'll cause him for teaching you 🤣🤣🤣

TS
TS
8legs

8legs

8eyes
OT Supporter
Mar 16, 2008
Webbywebz
If it's family it'll be cheap. They're not hard to replace. Toss him a couple extra dollars, for the headache, and have him show you so next time you know WTF to do. It's not rocket science.

Just so I'm clear the extra is for the headache you'll cause him for teaching you 🤣🤣🤣
I have tried to pay him before to no avail. Making food is more likely to be acceptable recompense. I can do very basic stuff, but I'm not going to fiddle with something I don't understand or waste his time teaching me something that I'm unlikely to retain and will rarely need doing.

Normie

KungFlu Crew #002
OT Supporter
I have tried to pay him before to no avail. Making food is more likely to be acceptable recompense. I can do very basic stuff, but I'm not going to fiddle with something I don't understand or waste his time teaching me something that I'm unlikely to retain and will rarely need doing.
If he's a "handy" dude, he won't have an issue, and it'll just be the matter of buying a replacement (few hundred) shut off the breaker to it, pull the old part, install new. I would guess that it should take less than 30 minutes if everything is in an easy to access spot, an hour if it's in a more difficult spot.

TS
TS
8legs

8legs

8eyes
OT Supporter
Mar 16, 2008
Webbywebz
I was getting antsy about how much shit would cost here because I can hear my fridge making weird noise without the ambient noise of the fan running.

It might always make that noise. Or it might soon be exploding.

Divine

OT Supporter
Dec 31, 2004
Charlotte
It only costs about $100 to get a HVAC professional out of you want it properly diagnosed. Then you can decide whether you want the family member to tackle it.

TS
TS
8legs

8legs

8eyes
OT Supporter
Mar 16, 2008
Webbywebz
It only costs about $100 to get a HVAC professional out of you want it properly diagnosed. Then you can decide whether you want the family member to tackle it.
Kinda rather start with family I know has been keeping contacts to a bare minimum than someone who goes to other people's houses for a living.

Stylerod

150mph in a swimsuit :eek3:
Dec 23, 2001
150MPH in a Swimsuit :eek3:!
Our HVAC vent fan died. So first time we needed heat the furnace wouldn't turn on. Went into the crawl space and heard a humming. Took off the panel and saw it was the fan making the noise. Touched it and it was fucking hot as hell. I would guess if it went long enough it could have started to smoke. Was an easy fix. $115 fan from Amazon and I replaced it. Hopefully yours is that simple.

But if you are getting air out of your vents then it's probably not that.

nosaj

OT Supporter
Nov 10, 2003
s-l1000.jpg

may have more than one fan.

TS
TS
8legs

8legs

8eyes
OT Supporter
Mar 16, 2008
Webbywebz
Our HVAC vent fan died. So first time we needed heat the furnace wouldn't turn on. Went into the crawl space and heard a humming. Took off the panel and saw it was the fan making the noise. Touched it and it was fucking hot as hell. I would guess if it went long enough it could have started to smoke. Was an easy fix. $115 fan from Amazon and I replaced it. Hopefully yours is that simple.

But if you are getting air out of your vents then it's probably not that.
Was getting air :noes:

TS
TS
8legs

8legs

8eyes
OT Supporter
Mar 16, 2008
Webbywebz
Great. The problem did not recur and there was no obvious malfunction. It might have been the hvac or it could be something else. This shit pisses me off. It kept me up all night.

Users who are viewing this thread

About Us

• Please do not post anything that violates any Local, State, Federal or International Laws. Your privacy is protected. You have the right to be forgotten. Site funded by advertising, link monetization and member support.
OT v15.13.2 Copyright © 2000-2023 Offtopic.com
Served by fx.offtopic.com

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
abdallahppp6