SRS if you believe anything that comes out from the mouth of a psychiatrist...

soleus

...you are a fool. I have yet to meet a psychiatrist who was on the right side of the bars, have wondered for years whether it is cause or effect: that is... does the study of psychiatry attract lunatics or produce them?

Viper

Livin' la vida scrotum
Sep 22, 2004
In a van down by the river
A good psychiatrist won't be telling you anything. A good psychiatrist will help you realize what you need to do on your own with simple guidance and asking the right questions and saying the right things.

swaterinater

Masturbation Supports Terrorism
OT Supporter
Jun 11, 2003
calgary
A good psychiatrist won't be telling you anything. A good psychiatrist will help you realize what you need to do on your own with simple guidance and asking the right questions and saying the right things.

A good psychologist does this. A good psychiatrist spend 15 minutes with you instead of 10, and gets your prescription right :o

Darketernal

Watch: Aria The Origination =)
A lot of people don't release all the necessary information to a psychiatrist out of shame or guilt and even a inner unwillingness to be healed. To work for a solution the effort and full cooperation of both the patient and the psychiatrist is needed.

Viper

Livin' la vida scrotum
Sep 22, 2004
srsly, I can't believe how many people fail to distinguish between the two.

I know the difference between the two. :hsugh:

I was just saying that a good "mental health" doctor worth his salt will actually give you mental health treatment instead of trying to cram pills down your throat.

I have a hard time believing that you can cure a mental disease with physical things (like pills).

Oct 17, 2004
New England
I know the difference between the two. :hsugh:

I was just saying that a good "mental health" doctor worth his salt will actually give you mental health treatment instead of trying to cram pills down your throat.

I have a hard time believing that you can cure a mental disease with physical things (like pills).
if there's a physical/biological cause for the mental illness then a physical thing (like a pill or shot) can often help tremendously.

kiri

Mar 15, 2006
Miami, FL
I don't doubt that. But a psychiatrist sitting on a couch can't make that call.

A doctor could though.

a psychiatrist IS a doctor. a psychiatrist has been to medical school and can write prescriptions.

psychologists have had other training and can not write prescriptions.

Viper

Livin' la vida scrotum
Sep 22, 2004
a psychiatrist IS a doctor. a psychiatrist has been to medical school and can write prescriptions.

I know, but I've heard of too many cases where psychiatrists just put someone on a perscription with no real tests being done, no real actual mental evaluation, etc.

It sucks, but it happens.

bowrofl

Aug 20, 2005
Toronto, Canadia
I've seen a psychiatrist and psychologist in my life. Psychiatrist = waste of time in my experience... the psychologist actually did help me to an extent... but it was really just me me who helped myself in the end. All psychs can do is help you understand your problems, they won't/can't magically wave a wand and make everything go away...

Genghis.Tron

Oct 14, 2002
Great White North
I've seen a psychiatrist and psychologist in my life. Psychiatrist = waste of time in my experience... the psychologist actually did help me to an extent... but it was really just me me who helped myself in the end. All psychs can do is help you understand your problems, they won't/can't magically wave a wand and make everything go away...

Well, that's exactly what we (psychologists) are supposed to do, so you probably saw a good one. That's when the patient does all the work (ie : changes stuff) that problem begin to fade.

Genghis.Tron

Oct 14, 2002
Great White North
I know, but I've heard of too many cases where psychiatrists just put someone on a perscription with no real tests being done, no real actual mental evaluation, etc.

They do have tests. Most of the time, it's a structured interview and they just ask you if you have enough symptoms to meet the diagnosis that they are looking for. It's not long and often a problem. That's why a proper evaluation with a psychologist is very useful while the psychiatrist can get on with dealing with the medication and adjusting it during the course of the problem.

jmezz

layin in bed stretchin my pumped quads for hours
Nov 26, 2004
if anything, your posts cement the need for psychiatrists because you're nuts.

:bowrofl:

I love your posts man. 100% logic with some sarcasm every now and then. :bowdown:

Oct 17, 2004
New England

:ugh:

and I got sent home from the ER even though my foot was broken. it sucks but it happens............thank god (a) it's not the norm and (b) you're entitled to a 2nd opinion.

Oct 17, 2004
New England
a psychiatrist is a psychologist with a prescription pad... he's just got one more tool in his pocket. if the psychiatrist was a waste of time it's because HE sucked, not because psychiatrists suck.

Genghis.Tron

Oct 14, 2002
Great White North
a psychiatrist is a psychologist with a prescription pad... he's just got one more tool in his pocket. if the psychiatrist was a waste of time it's because HE sucked, not because psychiatrists suck.

No, they are totally different. A psychiatrist is an MD with a specialization. They diagnose (with a structured interview in a short time usually) and treat (with medication only most of the time). It has a lot to do with symptom management.
A psychologist is someone with a doctorate in psychology (either a PhD or DPsy) would evaluates/treats patients with talk therapy. It can either be symptom management or trying to treat the underlying problem depending on the psychologist's stance and/or the client's will.

Users who are viewing this thread

About Us

• Please do not post anything that violates any Local, State, Federal or International Laws. Your privacy is protected. You have the right to be forgotten. Site funded by advertising, link monetization and member support.
OT v15.8.1 Copyright © 2000-2022 Offtopic.com
Served by fu.offtopic.com

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Theodor