ART If you ever wanted a drobo.....

HighTachPres

Jan 23, 2004
Greenville, SC
Quick P.S. to our recent email…
We try to avoid sending too much email. But we thought you might like to know that because of your interaction with Drobo, we’re extending a special offer to you. Here are the details:

A. From now through the end of Memorial Day (5 days only, through midnight 5/30/11), we’re dramatically lowering prices on our most popular Drobo models.

Lowest price ever on these Drobos (after promo code):
  • Drobo (4-bay USB / Firewire): $298
  • Drobo FS (5-bay Gigabit Ethernet File Sharing): $598
  • Drobo S (5-bay eSATA / USB / Firewire): $698
  • Drobo Pro (8-bay iSCSI / USB / Firewire): $1398
B. We’re also giving you a chance to win double Drobos.
Just visit our online store* and enter the promo code DOUBLEDROBO when you buy. You’ll receive the prices above, and you’ll also be entered for about a one-in-four chance to win a second Drobo for every one you ordered.
[FONT=Verdana,sans-serif]Hope to see you soon – and thanks!

Malissa King
VP Sales
[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Had this fwd'd to me earlier today and I finally bite the bullet and laid down some cash for a Drobo S (mainly because of the eSata connection). Then spent another $450 getting 3 2TB Western Digital Caviar Black hard drives. Today was a semi-expensive day, but well worth it :bowdown:
[/FONT]

jsmonet

egg
Sep 20, 2002
so cali
not bad. that's nearly 20% off, right?

i'm less than amazed by the io perf of my drobo, but whatever. it's storage. ssd is the workspace

White Stormy

Take that, subspace!
Sep 17, 2002
Sparkopolis
whats a drobo/synology?

Synology drives are all network-attached storage devices.. some Drobo models are, but price gets crazy on them, and reviews are usually better for Synologys.

My Synology DS211+ holds two hard drives. I have two 1TB drives configured in RAID1, so my total available space is ~1TB and each drive stores identical data. If one drive has a hardware failure, I can replace it without losing any data. Just in case I'm so incredibly unlucky that both of my drives suffer hardware failures at the same time, all of my work documents are backed up daily to a 32GB flash drive that I have plugged into the back of the device (I'll eventually upgrade this to ~128GB or so as flash prices drop). You could have it backup to another networked device or a connected USB/eSATA external drive, too.

On top of that, files [that I allow] are available to media devices on my network like my Xbox 360 and DLNA-capable Sony TV. Files are also accessible on my computer over the internet, so I can open documents remotely without needing to store them all on my laptop's hard drive. My phone (Android and iPhone are both supported) can play music or view photos anywhere I have a data or wifi connection, and if I had a networked security camera, I'd be able to view the camera feed from my phone as well.

Basically, it's the coolest thing ever. And I left out a ton of features.

dmora

Synology drives are all network-attached storage devices.. some Drobo models are, but price gets crazy on them, and reviews are usually better for Synologys.

My Synology DS211+ holds two hard drives. I have two 1TB drives configured in RAID1, so my total available space is ~1TB and each drive stores identical data. If one drive has a hardware failure, I can replace it without losing any data. Just in case I'm so incredibly unlucky that both of my drives suffer hardware failures at the same time, all of my work documents are backed up daily to a 32GB flash drive that I have plugged into the back of the device (I'll eventually upgrade this to ~128GB or so as flash prices drop). You could have it backup to another networked device or a connected USB/eSATA external drive, too.

On top of that, files [that I allow] are available to media devices on my network like my Xbox 360 and DLNA-capable Sony TV. Files are also accessible on my computer over the internet, so I can open documents remotely without needing to store them all on my laptop's hard drive. My phone (Android and iPhone are both supported) can play music or view photos anywhere I have a data or wifi connection, and if I had a networked security camera, I'd be able to view the camera feed from my phone as well.

Basically, it's the coolest thing ever. And I left out a ton of features.

gad dam son. networking shit like a bawz!

jsmonet

egg
Sep 20, 2002
so cali
esata is definitely a bit faster than fw800, but owing to drobo's somewhat silly schema, the actual iops is not even enough to tax fw800, let alone eSata.

performance and raid should never be in the same thought process when it comes to <enterprise gear. home and small business raid is all redundancy, even if you're froggy enough to raid5 or bigger. The performance gains are marginal, and usually slide along a continuum of performance vs. reliability.

error correction is nonexistant on small boxes. well, ok, they talk like there is some measure thereof, but ehhhh in practice it's not that impressive.

i'm not shitting on your idea to drobo. I have one and i'm satisfied enough with it to not sell it off just yet. I'm just saying your expectations should be managed. If you need an external workspace, you're better off getting a single high performance drive. My 120gb ssd in fw800 does a fairly decent job, but my internal ones are far better. all are better than adding another internal spinning disk, though. xfer rate, at that point, isn't as big a deal as r/w rate on the disk itself. the drobo fails on that account, as do damn near all external raid solutions of that price point.

c/n: excellent storage, weak workspace.

I have a wd black 2tb in my drobo, among a few other disks. it's decent, you can play 2 movies from it at once, but start copying over to it at the same time and things get a little...iffy.

personally, i'm waiting for the lightpeak/thunderbolt/10gb home san's to gain popularity. the setup has the bones to be something *seriously* fun

TS
TS
HighTachPres

HighTachPres

Jan 23, 2004
Greenville, SC
esata is definitely a bit faster than fw800, but owing to drobo's somewhat silly schema, the actual iops is not even enough to tax fw800, let alone eSata.

performance and raid should never be in the same thought process when it comes to <enterprise gear. home and small business raid is all redundancy, even if you're froggy enough to raid5 or bigger. The performance gains are marginal, and usually slide along a continuum of performance vs. reliability.

error correction is nonexistant on small boxes. well, ok, they talk like there is some measure thereof, but ehhhh in practice it's not that impressive.

i'm not shitting on your idea to drobo. I have one and i'm satisfied enough with it to not sell it off just yet. I'm just saying your expectations should be managed. If you need an external workspace, you're better off getting a single high performance drive. My 120gb ssd in fw800 does a fairly decent job, but my internal ones are far better. all are better than adding another internal spinning disk, though. xfer rate, at that point, isn't as big a deal as r/w rate on the disk itself. the drobo fails on that account, as do damn near all external raid solutions of that price point.

c/n: excellent storage, weak workspace.

I have a wd black 2tb in my drobo, among a few other disks. it's decent, you can play 2 movies from it at once, but start copying over to it at the same time and things get a little...iffy.

personally, i'm waiting for the lightpeak/thunderbolt/10gb home san's to gain popularity. the setup has the bones to be something *seriously* fun

k

lol jk, thanks for the insight :bowdown:
most of it is over my head... which is probably why i'm getting a drobo :rofl:

jsmonet

egg
Sep 20, 2002
so cali
haha

it's kinda my job to know these things.

all you have to know is this:

drobo/synology/*.raid externals = backup/storage.

if you want a workspace, get a blazing fast single drive and use that.

oh, and ssd's are *bawse*. my mbp has 2 240gb ssd's in it and my only quibble is the lack of ram. I run out of ram before i run out of disk performance, and I can be crunching vid on one drive, running two virtual machines off of it (centos and win7 64bit), with photoshop + dreamweaver and a few browsers open in osx, the virtual win7, and the virtual centos without it lagging.

if i could put 16gb of ram in my macbook pro i wouldn't be looking forward to the next mac pro iteration.

smaug

born to lose
Nov 9, 2001
Hamilton, Bermuda
k

lol jk, thanks for the insight :bowdown:
most of it is over my head... which is probably why i'm getting a drobo :rofl:

you should be fine working from the drobo as long as the files are small, you aren't editing HD video, and you don't have 10 raws open at once..

basically the bottleneck isn't the HDs or the interface, it is the way the drobo/synology reads/writes the data to the hardware.

Users who are viewing this thread

About Us

• Please do not post anything that violates any Local, State, Federal or International Laws. Your privacy is protected. You have the right to be forgotten. Site funded by advertising, link monetization and member support.
OT v15.8.1 Copyright © 2000-2022 Offtopic.com
Served by fu.offtopic.com

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vitalesan