TECH I'm a new Mac user v.recommendations

abs18

born & bred red sox fan 4 life
Dec 9, 2004
Tampa
I did some searching but didn't find exactly what I was looking for so...

For office type functionality...isn't it a pain that mail, ical and the address book are separate programs/windows and not combined like outlook is? Or is this something I will get used to after using it more often? I got the office suite so I have outlook if I want to use it but I've read that it's a hog and the native mac apps are better to use (I also have an iPhone so I've heard and noticed myself that the syncing is better too with iTunes...i.e. birthdays calender syncs perfectly on ical and not into outlook). Although, isn't outlook more full featured? What's your experiences?

I also used to use avast with windows...that still the best free antivirus solution?

Pitt

1-1-11 — Never Forget
OT Supporter
Jul 1, 2003
Injured Reserve
they're separate apps, but they're integrated well.

ie. adding a birthday to someone in address book adds that to ical in the background.

If you make an event in iCal, you can have it email you or other people from iCal using the accounts you have set up in mail.

etc.

Whenever iCloud launches, make sure you get in on that, it'll sync everything a lot better.

Not sure what you can do right now as the transition between MobileMe and iCloud is really slowing everything down for new users.

also: antivirus solutions? :rofl: no need. just don't install anything dumb and you'll be fine.

TS
TS
abs18

abs18

Dec 9, 2004
Tampa
they're separate apps, but they're integrated well.

ie. adding a birthday to someone in address book adds that to ical in the background.

If you make an event in iCal, you can have it email you or other people from iCal using the accounts you have set up in mail.

etc.

Whenever iCloud launches, make sure you get in on that, it'll sync everything a lot better.

Not sure what you can do right now as the transition between MobileMe and iCloud is really slowing everything down for new users.

also: antivirus solutions? :rofl: no need. just don't install anything dumb and you'll be fine.
Gotcha...so stick with the native mac apps huh...thanks man. And concerning antivirus...because macs have a much larger presence now in the market share, I know there are a lot more viruses designed for them. I just thought I'd rather be safe than sorry. I used to be a network engineer and have it engrained into my head to always be protected I guess, lol. Thanks though.

Raider007

om nom nom nom
Aug 26, 2002
Bay Area
Don't use Firefox... I know I'm already to late, because I'm sure the first thing you did after opening up Safari was to download Firefox...

manchild

OT Supporter
Mar 16, 2005
Colorado
I've heard µ-crosoft office is good, along with something called small stitch or something....
Little Snitch

http://www.obdev.at/products/littlesnitch/index.html

Transmission for torrents
VLC for Media
Plex if you ever need a media center app
UnRarX for un-raring torrent files
Growl for on screen notifications
GrowTunes for iTunes notifications
Cyberduck for FTP
Flip4Mac, ffmpegx and Perian to make sure there is never a video file that won't play
OnyX to perform general maintenance and system cleaning
TextWrangler for Text Editing (best free one, TextMate is good too but subscription only)

TS
TS
abs18

abs18

Dec 9, 2004
Tampa
Little Snitch

http://www.obdev.at/products/littlesnitch/index.html

Transmission for torrents
VLC for Media
Plex if you ever need a media center app
UnRarX for un-raring torrent files
Growl for on screen notifications
GrowTunes for iTunes notifications
Cyberduck for FTP
Flip4Mac, ffmpegx and Perian to make sure there is never a video file that won't play
OnyX to perform general maintenance and system cleaning
TextWrangler for Text Editing (best free one, TextMate is good too but subscription only)
thanks brother!

what about burning software?

Users who are viewing this thread

About Us

• Please do not post anything that violates any Local, State, Federal or International Laws. Your privacy is protected. You have the right to be forgotten. Site funded by advertising, link monetization and member support.
OT v15.8.1 Copyright © 2000-2022 Offtopic.com
Served by fu.offtopic.com

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vitalesan