SPORTS I'm getting discouraged (short rant)

misha

Apr 27, 2002
NYC
so after training at my boxing gym for 2 solid months, with every session i start to realize how much i dont know and how much i suck at it. Last night my coach was getting really frustrated because of my inability to hit the mitts fast enough and with the right combination, then he told me at the end that weight training is making me tense. I can tell he's not overly excited when he trains me. I'm gonna push on with it though and hopefully break through the barrier and get my proper rhythm. I do want to become good at it.

Kenny Dalglish

Sep 11, 2003
Queens
so after training at my boxing gym for 2 solid months, with every session i start to realize how much i dont know and how much i suck at it. Last night my coach was getting really frustrated because of my inability to hit the mitts fast enough and with the right combination, then he told me at the end that weight training is making me tense. I can tell he's not overly excited when he trains me. I'm gonna push on with it though and hopefully break through the barrier and get my proper rhythm. I do want to become good at it.

maybe you need a different coach? maybe his coaching style isn't suited for you..

i dont know jack about boxing (except watching it) but im sure its like most things where u suck for a while and then one day it kinda clicks

GeeGee

Oct 3, 2005
CT
Try watching nbd on loop for a good 4 hours before training. Work for me every time.

checkii

ฝรั่งตาน้ำข้าว
Jun 29, 2003
rain street
maybe you need a different coach? maybe his coaching style isn't suited for you..

i dont know jack about boxing (except watching it) but im sure its like most things where u suck for a while and then one day it kinda clicks

coaching boxing is 80% knowledge, 20% being able to communicate that knowledge.

If you are slow on the mitts you are likely trying to hit the mitts hard. I used to have that problem a lot.
Focus on your breathing, that should come first.
Make sure you are relaxed all over, shoulders on down.
Dont try and hit it hard, the faster you hit the mitt the louder it will pop.

I dont think lifting weights is your problem. take a few days off training, it will help you let go of the bad habits, then go in and give it a shot.

teep

Mar 7, 2006
everyone learns at their own pace. just keep at it, keep working hard, and one of these days it'll just come to you. it will almost feel like it happened over night and soon you'll be watching new guys wondering why it's so hard for them to learn to throw a punch correctly.

tkluu

Dec 27, 2004
Dallas, TX
the more you relax your body, the faster your combinations will be

you're still new too, so you might still thinking a lot too instead just it coming naturally

rtzcom

bon wons! fight slepa for life sone!~
Jan 14, 2005
CT
If you're hitting the pads at your own pace with good solid form...I wouldn't worry about it. Just keep at it and speed will follow.

If you're trying to punch a hole in the mitts...go for speed and not power. My coach would always say that power comes from speed. When I work mitts I don't even hit hard. I don't care about the popping sounds and shit. All I care about it that I hit the mits, hit them fast as fuck, and I focus on pulling back my arms to cover up.

HouseLing

When masturbations lost its fun you'r fucking lazy
Feb 9, 2002
SoCal
and handspeed takes time to develop

And it's the first thing to go. I tryed hitting a bag awhile ago and it was pathetic :o

And to the OP, like others have said try to relax. If you feel yourself tense up just take a second and let everything hang loose from your neck down. I was always guilty of this when I was in groups with people higher skilled, because I wanted to measure up to them and their expectations. Try to recognize it when it is happening and correct it.

TS
TS
misha

misha

Apr 27, 2002
NYC
the more you relax your body, the faster your combinations will be

you're still new too, so you might still thinking a lot too instead just it coming naturally

I have a hard time relaxing. its by nature. it takes me a lot of time and work to develop coordination. dancing, soccer, and now boxing.

tkluu

Dec 27, 2004
Dallas, TX
And it's the first thing to go. I tryed hitting a bag awhile ago and it was pathetic :o

And to the OP, like others have said try to relax. If you feel yourself tense up just take a second and let everything hang loose from your neck down. I was always guilty of this when I was in groups with people higher skilled, because I wanted to measure up to them and their expectations. Try to recognize it when it is happening and correct it.
footwork seems to go first for me

THE LIOG

EVVVVVVVVEERRYYOONNNNNNNE EEEEE
May 8, 2007
Long Island

shadow box with some 5lb weights, it'll come back

Redneck Shinobi

Well Jules, the funny thing about my back is that
Oct 27, 2006
Vancouver, BC
are you a girl?
I understand BCIT course load is a son of a bitch, but come on man. We already went over this in the other thread, it's a boy!

Oh and . what everyone is saying about mitt work, and giant dot to checkii's post. I was making that mistake for a long time and couldn't figure out why.

BCIT

I remember there was this big muscle bound dude with neck tattoos named Nikita :mamoru:

Users who are viewing this thread

About Us

• Please do not post anything that violates any Local, State, Federal or International Laws. Your privacy is protected. You have the right to be forgotten. Site funded by advertising, link monetization and member support.
OT v15.8.1 Copyright © 2000-2022 Offtopic.com
Served by fu.offtopic.com

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vitalesan