CAR I'm planning on riding my motorcycle from Alaska to Argentina

KingGargantuan

♖♘♗♕♔♗♘♖
Oct 4, 2001
VABeach
Tierra del Fuego to be precise. I'm only in the discussion/planning stage and hoping for maybe this fall or next year. It will probably take 4-6 months one way. Anyone want to join on another bike?

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
I’ll join you on the leg from Virginia Beach to Norfolk! :bowdown:

KingGargantuan

♖♘♗♕♔♗♘♖
Oct 4, 2001
VABeach
I was just in Peru last week talking to a girl from Arizona in the middle of her bike trip and she didn't have any problems. There are a ton of people coming up here to Fairbanks on bikes that I've met so I have a fair bit of contacts that I can get info from.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
My nephew was in Peru over Christmas and loved it. He’s going back but doesn’t ride (yet)

Also I think I heard Charlie and ewan are doing the same trip for their next video series

tenxia

OT Supporter
Jun 21, 2004
Pale Blue Dot
I want to do a motorcycle adventure like that one day. But gotta learn how to ride a bike well, learn how to fix a bike etc.

flocc-boi

Sep 16, 2017
Is there a Darien ferry? That's why I'm asking. How he is getting past that. And it has to do with Central America because it's in central America.
the ferry seems to be really sporadic with no real schedule. Various internet reports have it running as of 2017 but then not running after that, with no new updates. There are several roll on / roll off services that seem like they can do the trip, but again last updates don't seem to be that recent
https://www.drivetheamericas.com/wiki/vehicle-shipping-across-darien-gap-urge

at this point I kinda figure I'll say fuck it, drive down to Panama at my own pace (or try to ship from Guatamala since Nic and Honduras are pretty unsafe right now) and if all else fails just drive back up to Texas

Reactions: I<3URANUS

LanceVance

If you reply to me you are stupid.
Jun 17, 2001
Houston, TX.
Be sure to maintain a daily "Chataqua"

9780553103106-us.jpg

couchlock

digital nomad
OT Supporter
Apr 8, 2002
The Highway
I need to start planning this as well. Want to do it maybe this year. Probably just start from Texas though. How are you planning on handling Honduras / Nicaragua? Just fuck it ride through and hope for the best? Are you pre-booking a ferry across the Darien Gap? These seem to be the biggest challenges I've looked at so far
Honduras and Nicaragua are fine, there is no ferry across the gap, need to ship across or put ur bike on the Stahllrate or other sailboat to sail across the gap

couchlock

digital nomad
OT Supporter
Apr 8, 2002
The Highway
source?

everything I've read is that this is way more difficult than anyone expects and hardly anyone does it anymore. Some sources are saying the panama to colombia ferry isn't even running anymore
Plenty of people doing it still, ferry was short lived, like 2 months, gotta get around the gap the old fashioned way

couchlock

digital nomad
OT Supporter
Apr 8, 2002
The Highway
the ferry seems to be really sporadic with no real schedule. Various internet reports have it running as of 2017 but then not running after that, with no new updates. There are several roll on / roll off services that seem like they can do the trip, but again last updates don't seem to be that recent
https://www.drivetheamericas.com/wiki/vehicle-shipping-across-darien-gap-urge

at this point I kinda figure I'll say fuck it, drive down to Panama at my own pace (or try to ship from Guatamala since Nic and Honduras are pretty unsafe right now) and if all else fails just drive back up to Texas
There is no ferry, container ship/RoRo or sailboat your bike around are only options

Reactions: flocc-boi

couchlock

digital nomad
OT Supporter
Apr 8, 2002
The Highway
If I only had 6 months I would likely drive to Veracruz, MX and ship my bike to Zarate, Argentina then spend 6 months mobbing around south america. Central America is cool and all but it is also a big fuxkin hassle with all the border crossings and hot as shit most of the time, trust me South America is where it's at

Reactions: flocc-boi

flocc-boi

Sep 16, 2017
If I only had 6 months I would likely drive to Veracruz, MX and ship my bike to Zarate, Argentina then spend 6 months mobbing around south america. Central America is cool and all but it is also a big fuxkin hassle with all the border crossings and hot as shit most of the time, trust me South America is where it's at

I've got more than 6 months but central america doesn't super appeal to me, might be more hassle than it's worth. Will look into shipping from veracruz, thanks

couchlock

digital nomad
OT Supporter
Apr 8, 2002
The Highway
I've got more than 6 months but central america doesn't super appeal to me, might be more hassle than it's worth. Will look into shipping from veracruz, thanks
My number one piece of advice would be to take as many Spanish classes as you can, community colleges, 1 on 1 classes, etc

Maybe stop in La Paz, baja and take a few weeks of classes before shipping across the sea of Cortez to mazatalan, then continuing on to Veracruz across the country

Even having a basic grip on communication will IMMENSELY change your trip, more important than anything else you do

Users who are viewing this thread

About Us

• Please do not post anything that violates any Local, State, Federal or International Laws. Your privacy is protected. You have the right to be forgotten. Site funded by advertising, link monetization and member support.
OT v15.8.1 Copyright © 2000-2022 Offtopic.com
Served by fu.offtopic.com

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ddunn9448